Thursday, May 29, 2014

Why I Like the Internet and Blogging

Me, June 1974 (40 years ago!)


The Internet and blogging often get a bad rap these days.  All the moaning and groaning about loss of privacy, you have to get over it folks.  Just assume that everything you do is monitored by the government and recorded.  This is a fact that was brought out in the open by Edward Snowden.  Is it any wonder that the government is in such hysterics about condemning Snowden and tossing him in a jail cell, naked, with a light on for 24/7 for the rest of his life?  We have to get past out loss of privacy folks, it's a way of life in the Big Brother world.

Now, here is why I like the Internet and blogging. A few days ago a former co-worker of mine read an old blog posting of mine about where I used to work in Philadelphia, Girard Trust Bank.  She commented on my blog and new we're in touch again.  I love this!  So many folks from my Previous Life are gone, it is so nice to hear from someone who is still alive and well even though it is hard for me to imagine that my young and beautiful co-worker is now a 67 year old grandmother.  

I told her that I had old photos of her taken at work.  She asked if I could post them.  So, I went digging through the boxes that I have yet to unpack in my basement storage room from our move to Delaware in November of 2006.  Yes, I am ashamed to admit I still have boxes (I'm not telling you how many) that are still unpacked.  Well folks, digging through those boxes I came across about a dozen photo albums that I haven't looked at in over 30 years!  You know what I'm going to do with those photos, scan them to my computer and share them with you all. Another Big Project that I will happily undertake.

Yes, I love the Internet and blogging.  Through my blogging I have met and am now friends with my Brother From Another Mother, my soulmate and good friend Pat from Toronto, Canada.  Pat and I are so much alike.  He's the friend I've been looking for my whole life.  Cute, handsome, sexy, smart, and we have so much in common. I've never had a friend in my life that has had all these attributes.  I've spent a lifetime looking for him but through  the Internet and my blog I found him.  I won the lottery with this guy!

I have also made other friends through my blogging and the Internet.  You all know who you are and I appreciate every one of you.  

I was wondering what I was going to blog about today.  Lately I've been leaning towards a rant but I didn't really want to take my faithful blog followers on another one of my political rants or the "poor me" rants.  So here is something positive that I'm writing about today.  Yes folks, today is a good day.  When I feel myself slipping into depression, despair and hopelessness something wonderful happens like it did this past week to remind me of how good my life is.  


Was I really that hot? What happened?

14 comments:

  1. yeah, you were hot. then you got old. as did I; I am no longer hot either. but who gives a shit? LIVE FOR TODAY, BABY! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction Anne Marie, I'm still hot. And "older" hot. You won't see many 72 year olds who look like I do. And that's because I've taken care of myself all my life. I made that decision when I was 12 years old, and with a few missteps, I've basically stayed on course. However, the old joints are starting to creak and wear out. Age is finally catching up with me but I will never let myself go like so many of those who are my age. Funny thing though, when I was younger I thought I was major dorky. Well, maybe I was. Whatever, I'm happy to be me. I wouldn't want to be any other way. And I do live for TODAY!

      Delete
  2. I love my blogs and the internet, even Facebook when I have time for it, which I do right now since I had foot surgery.
    You are still hot Ron! Once you get to know someone, personality is so much more important than looks. A kind, intelligent spirit does it for me.
    Youth will go away and we will never catch up to it no matter how skinny or how many facelifts we've had. I am with Anne Marie on this one "
    "live for today and be happy"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege! My post was tongue in cheek and certainly not fishing for compliments but I've always been happy with the way I look despite what others have said. I have some funny stories to tell about those experiences which I will have to post in future blogs. Imagine living a life not happy with the way you look? I can't. And I agree with you, personality is so much more important than looks. For instance, you've just had a hint of a certain Canadian's personality. Well, that's him, he has a terrific personality which is what makes him so attractive. In fact, one of the most attractive persons (man or woman) that I've known in my lifetime.
      I was surprised to look at these old photos that I just discovered yesterday which I haven't seen in over 35 years! You don't think you've changed that much over the years but you have. No, I am very happy and contented where I am at this time in my life. In fact, I've always been content and happy at all points in my life, especially now. Only thing is now my body is starting to give out. I guess that was inevitable. But I continue to live for today and be happy, that's always been my mantra.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Very cool post! Love it! Yes, the Internet and blogging are giving up some privacy, voluntarily, so who's right is it to complain? Not mine!

    I've made so many good friends, all over the world, via blogging. I can't think of any way I'd ever have made such good friends as you and the rest of the bloggerpalooza crew, my friends in England (many of whom I've visited now), Australia, Germany...wow. All because of dipping a toe in the water of blogging, almost 4 years ago now. Long live the Internet!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Jay! The Internet and blogging has been a very pleasant surprise. Ironically I've made more friends through the Internet and blogging than I have after moving to southern Delaware. That surprises me because one of the reasons I moved to this area was to make more friends in the gay community but most of them are so insular and cliquish it's almost impossible to scale that barrier. In fact, I've given up. Maybe it's me, maybe it's them. Whatever, I'm not wasting any more of my time trying to find the key to their friendship.

      Delete
  4. Blogging and the Internet do indeed provide valuable links to things that we would otherwise never have access to. I've made lots of new friends through blogging, and it's also given me a chance to get in touch with people from my distant past. I haven't yet found a special "soulmate", as you did with Pat, but - what the heck - anything is possible.

    Every time I look at old photos of myself, it seems like I'm gazing at the face of a stranger. I miss those days when I was hot, hunky, and desirable. But, as Anne Marie said, "Live for today!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I look at those early photos of you and you indeed were movie star handsome. You could have easily been a model. Like you, when I look at my old photos I think "Who was that?" Ironically though, during those days I didn't think of myself as especially attractive. I thought I was too dorky and odd looking. Not ugly but just not "marketable." Looking back now I realize I was okay. I'm thrilled I found this whole new passel of photos though. Be forewarned, I'll be posting a lot of them in future blog posts. Old photos, here they come!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hot? Phooey, You looked friendly. You still look friendly. A nice man. Helen Mirren is hot. I am friendly-looking, sort of, I hope. But you definitely and fortunately are. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you but, since I am me, I do. I try to make things easier on others in little ways that don't tire me out. You have a more enthusiastic and aerobic approach, but we're trying to improve humanity. Let me know when we've made any progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      You hit on the key, I was and AM friendly. You are friendly looking and Helen Mirren (who I like a lot) is also friendly looking. The "friendly look" comes though, no matter what the person's physical characteristics. I'm not worried about "no longer being hot." Heck, back then I didn't think I was hot, just unusual looking. My posting was tongue in cheek which doesn't always come through in the written text. I"m quite happy with who I am and the way I look both then and now. And I am very grateful I don't look like Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates or Donald Sterling. I'll take my meager financial status and friendly looks any day over the likes of those obscenely rich trolls.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi Ron, Now I know what your thinking were has this guy been keeping himself? I guess the past month I've been on the down low, sorta speak. Now I just wanted to say I,m glad I found your blog! And the other's too that I've made friends with. I really need to get on the ball, like you I got tons to say. I need to just do it, as Nike says. I'm starting to know what you mean about getting old, last weekend I had my 39 yr. (plus 16 year) birthday. I've already have the snap crackle and pops in my body.Yes you still are handsome just in a more mature, self-confindent way. A smile is always attractive. I think a nice smile and great personality is 90% of what I like in a person. But if they are built like a mansonary latrine, I surely would not turn them down. I had one other comment, the last pic of you surounded by flowers, there you look just like the plumber that came to my house last summer to fix my pipes. I was hoping that visit would turn out like you see in some movies, but alas no. I'll try not to be a stranger. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      So good to hear from you. I was wondering "What happened to Randy?" By the way, are you on Facebook? And thank you Randy for your kind words. I always appreciate hearing from you.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am quite grateful for blogging for so many reasons. One major one is how else would I have encountered you if not for blogging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say the same and will say the same to you Dr. Spo. One of the high points of my life is your friendship and that of Someone also. My only regret is that you two fine fellows don't live closer. Friends like both of you are extremely rare and should be valued and treasured. If not for the Internet I would never have known the pleasure of your company. Thank you for all your kindnesses and goodwill.
      Ron

      Delete