Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend Meme

Me and Mike Smith - Poodle Beach, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware


I like memes but don't usually do them.  However, this time I think I will.  This is one that Sean, The Jeep Guy started.

1. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance but it also signifies the "Official" start of summer. What are your plans this weekend?

Hanging around the house, working in the backyard and taking rides with Bill - did all of those yesterday and today!

2. What is your most and least favorite thing about summer?

Most favorite = the long days and warm weather

Least favorite = The heavy traffic and aggressive drivers which make it not only dangerous to drive to Rehoboth Beach but almost impossible unless I'm willing to sit in traffic from a half an hour to an hour. Usually, after Memorial Day until Labor Day, I avoid Rehoboth Beach like the plague because I want to live.

3. What do you think of when I say "Bar-B-Que?"

Grilled hamburgers which I would love one right now.  Alas it is not to be, too much trouble setting up a grill and most of the store bought hamburger is tasteless because of all the hormone injections.

4. What is your favorite summer food?

Fresh summer veggies like corn, zucchini, tomatoes and fruits like peaches, watermelons and cantaloupes.

5. Are you is (in) swim suit shape yet?

HA!  I have a roll around my middle that refuses to go away and I am certainly not putting that on display nor be the subject of ridicule as just another Old (72) Man on the Beach.

Me, Herring Cove- Provincetown, Mass


6. Given the choice, which do you prefer: ocean, lake or pool?

Pool.  I love the smell of chlorine. 

7. Which summer blockbuster movie are you most looking forward to seeing?

I already saw it, "Stranger By The Lake."

8. Summer reading: What? Recommendations?

I read all the time.  There is no "summer reading" in my world, there is Reading All The Time.  I usually have two books going at once; one by my bed stand and the other in the library bathroom.

9. Vacation Plans? If you can't, what would you do if you could?

I would love to visit Provincetown one more time before I check out of this existence.  Oh I know it's not like it was when I was a regular vacationer in the 70's and early 80's but still…..just one more Tea Dance at the Boatslip would be fun. 

10. Did you ever have to go to summer school?

Yes, Mother forced us (me and my brothers).  Didn't have to go but she thought we needed to do something "productive" with our summer.  BIG MISTAKE. She never did it again. All we did was make ceramics and wax beads.  What a waste of time when we could have had real fun. 

BONUS  
Sex on the beach?

Of course, Provincetown. Remember? Sand, heat and gawkers. What was I thinking? Thank God there weren't iPhones around then.


Watch out Michel Phelps! Me doing my best backstroke in Provincetown Bay



12 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Summertime, what memories. For me it was Atlantic City, Kentucky Avenue when times were so different from times today. Hot bodies, equally hot sex, about the only time I was care free. If we did today (assuming we were still the same age) what we did then it would be like playing Russian roulette Today I worry about how much sun I had and how many pre cancerous lesion's the doctor can remove each year. We are paying a price for worshiping the sun.
    Have a great summer.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Jack, I can't believe that I actually laid on the beach in that blazing sun setting the basis for my now regular visits to my dermatologist to remove precancerous (thank goodness) lesions. In fact I have an appointment this Friday.
      You have a great summer too Jack. So far we're having a marvelous spring. So many nice days and I love the longer days.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Cool post, Ron! I can't imagine you having sex on the beach with gawkers! HAHAHAHA
    For me, Memorial Day marks the countdown to "school's out" and a maddening pace of work for the summer months! ARGH!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I never actually had sex on the beach, saw a lot of it though. To me the whole hot sun and sand was not sexual at all. I'm more of a romantic guy. One of my best memories was of a foggy, rainy day early morning lying in bed with a very nice guy who I met. Actually there wasn't any sex, we just enjoyed each other's company. Sometimes I think a guardian angel was hovering over me protecting me because of my lack of sexual interest but more on the companionship side. There were a few guys I met who got angry at me because I didn't have sex with them but just wanted to be "friends" but when I met one guy (a very handsome and pleasant fellow at that) who just enjoyed my company, that was the best time. But I did see sex on the beach, and in the dunes. Lots of activity for sure but I just wasn't into it.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Wow Ron - you sure know how to tan!! Gosh - is there a resemblance to that photo of you and Michel in Strangers By the Lake? Happy Memorial Day to all>

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Oh I knew how to tan all right . Now I'm paying the price for it. I visit my dermatologist again this Friday.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I won't go the beach either, not until I lose some weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I can't believe I used to lay on the beach and bake. What was I thinking? So boring and dangerous. The folly of youth for sure.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading your post for the first time. I visited Provincetown several times in the early 70's, I was doing a residency in Boston and it was an easy drive.
    Spot-on about the sun-baking aspect of those pre-sunscreen days. Alas, I've had a few melanoma's removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an appointment this Friday with my dermatologist. My dermatology visits are a regular part of my life these days. My days lying on the sand on the beach under the blazing sun are over.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi Ron, I'm liking this post, I really like the photo of you on the beach in your birthday bathing suit. Thing about that is they are always in style. Back in the late 70s I was in San francisco. I think you would have liked it there. And I'm sure they would have like you too. But being a east coast guy it would be a little difficult to make it 3000 miles out that way. I'll have to tell you about my grand adventures to California 35 years ago in my blog. Always great reading. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, Good luck with your dermatologist! You got me thinking there is a spot on my shoulder I should have the doc look at soon. Like you 35-40 years ago I spent too much time in the sun. And more than a few times received a bad sunburns.

    ReplyDelete