Friday, May 30, 2014

Another Visit to the Dermatologist




Another day and another visit to my dermatologist.  A few weeks ago I had an uninvited guest pop up on my left cheek.  It looked like a wart.  I suspected it was something other than a wart.  However, even if it was a wart, I didn't want to spend my remaining years with a wart protruding from my left cheek.  Hey, I know I'm no beauty at 72 and my face is starting to crumble but I do have my limits. So, last week I called and arranged a visit with my dermatologist.

I used to go to the VA for my dermatology appointment but I'm sure by now you've all heard how long it takes to get into the VA.  My dermatology appointments were taking up to four months at the VA.  Like all my medical appointments at the VA, once you get there, they take great care of you but it's the getting there.  And by the way, I'm glad Eric Shineski, the current VA administrator resigned today.  

Don't let the door hit you on the way out


The VA needs a complete overhaul but first they need a leader who looks and sounds like he's mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.  The bureaucratic nightmare that is the Veterans Administration. From a president (Obama)

Hey prez, at least act like you give a damn


who doesn't give a shit to the members (mostly Republicans) who consistently underfund and ignore the needs of our country's veterans, it is time to end this injustice and neglect of those who served so valiantly this nation.  And I'm ranting again.  I am so angry about this whole mess, from our president who at times seems more concerned with Shinseki's feelings than recognizing the real problem to the politicians who take our veterans for granted like they're getting free medical care and should be grateful for whatever dollops of care they get.  I am so angry about this whole mess and especially at those venal Republicans who are now trying to score political points over this real scandal.  I thank God (or whoever) that I now have Medicare and can go to the doctor of my choice and mostly avoid the delays of trying to get VA medical care that was promised to me when I signed up January 27th, 1960 and joined the Army and put my life in their hands for this country for three years. 


Pvt. Ron Tipton, potential cannon fodder

My dermatologist stuck a needle in my face to numb the area and scrapped off the offending "wart" which turned out to be a keratosis growth.  Keratosis is a pre cancerous growth.  I've been having them for over thirty years now, no skin cancer so far.  But of course you all know I have a cancer already, prostate cancer.  No one gets out from this trip (Life) alive.  I am just so thankful I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't caught in the web of dysfunction and deceit and ineptitude which is the Veterans Administration Medical system.  And I am also thankful that I have regular visits with my VA doctor to check on my health.  That's one thing I never had in the private medical system, preventive health care.  During a routine blood test (every six months with the VA), my prostate cancer was discovered.  I also use the VA for all my prescription medications.  They are very efficient (and cheap).  No waiting at Walgreen's for my prescription to be filled for this vet.

Have a great day everyone and try not to let the bastards get you down.






9 comments:

  1. It looks like they used a grinding wheel on you! Ugh!!!

    My dad loved the VA. It was the only part of being in the Army that he did like. I don't think the VA hospital in Huntington had as many SNAFUs as so many of the others - probably because there isn't as large a population to serve.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      He said he "shaved it" off. Slice and dice Ron, that's me.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I want someone to explain to me WHY ANYONE in the VA system would be getting a bonus! You do a job to help heal the sick for a salary. The bonus is for . . . . what? Sounds to me like a bureaucratic system designed to line the pockets of those who probably do nothing in the way of healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I can't express how furious I am over this whole VA mess. Of course we've all known that this problem has existed FOR YEARS. That's why I mainly use Medicare for my health needs, I just couldn't take the wait to see a doctor in the VA system. However, once I got in, I always had excellent care. I still get my prescriptions from the VA and regular six month visits with my VA doctor (appointments made six months in advance) which I am very happy with. But this is the first time I knew bonuses were being given for faking the records. This is criminal and those who are involved need to be punished, civil service job security or not.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I hope I see the day when our veterans get the proper and efficient medical care that they deserve, but somehow I doubt if it will happen any time soon. None of the politicians give a damn. Those greedy bastards have their own special privileges and they don't care about anyone else.

    Wow, that "Keep on Truckin' " sign really brought back memories. My very first lover Chuck had that exact same bumper sticker on his van (we had some really good times in that van....). Every time he sent me cards or love letters, he'd write "Keep on truckin " next to his signature. It was his motto. So long ago........

    Take care Ron, and have a great weekend (or what's left of it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I've known for years the VA has had this problem. It goes all the way back to the Carter administration. Most of the politicians, both parties, just don't care. I know that's an extreme statement to make but they really don't care. They think the vets who try to use the VA system are going for "free" medical care. Not the case. That was part of the agreement with any service member signed up. I remember very clearly I was told by my recruiter "If you join the Army one of the benefits is that you have lifetime medical care IF YOU NEED IT." Nothing was said about "service connected" or limbs missing as a qualification. As you know and I've said many times before, the MAIN reason I'm not a Republican now is when I found out that the Bush administration in 2000 tried to kick me out of the VA medical system because I didn't have a service connected disability that betrayal of the promise that was made to me was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thank God Congress did something right and grandfathered old codgers like me into the system (those of use who were already signed up but neither one of my brothers could get in because they weren't already signed up). This country first priority is to take are of ALL it's veterans, especially those who life life long injuries. To do less is criminal. And this is where we agree, Obama doesn't care. I know that. Kerry doesn't care. And of course the Republican don't care. McCain doesn't even care. They all will use this to their political advantage. I'm disgusted with the whole lot of them.
      Remember the sone "Keep on Trucking" by Curtis Mayfield? I loved that song. Lone time ago!

      You have a great weekend too Jon. I've been off kilter the past couple of weeks. I hope to get back on track.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I like your pensive thoughtful expression in this photo. I think (with the scar) it is rather fetching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo. I think my face is garnering "character" now with all the cutting, freezing, and shaving. I'm paying the price for the folly of youth these days.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. nice blog
    thanks for sharing information.
    Hair Care TreatmentsThe health of your hair and scalp can speak volumes about your internal balance. Factors like genetics, excessive use of chemicals, illness, weather changes and poor circulation are the major causes behind issues like hair fall, dandruff and damaged hair.

    ReplyDelete