Saturday, May 03, 2014

A Walk on the Boardwalk

Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk

Yesterday morning after I got a haircut I decided to visit the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.  I don't visit the boardwalk as often as I used to.  Mainly because I don't like the ten mile ride down Route One from Casa Tipton-Kelly to Rehoboth Beach.  Although it is a straight shot, there are too many lanes, too much traffic, too many aggressive drivers.  I don't need that stress.  

However, I do like the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.  It is exactly one mile long.  I park at the one end and walk to the other end.  The combination of the boardwalk and my walking sneakers has the proper spring to my step.  I always feel good after my "Boardwalk Walk."  

When I first got my new Subaru three years ago I used to make the ten mile trip almost every day.  I enjoyed walking by the ocean, hearing the waves wash up on the beach, hearing the sea gulls, observing the many different folks…..life.  After all, I'm only ten miles from "the beach" so why not take advantage of it.  I remember all those years when we used to live in New Jersey and Pennsylvania when a trip to Rehoboth Beach was a major endeavor (three hour trip one way).  Now that I'm only ten miles away, why not?

Well, one reason is in the summertime, after Memorial Day we local residents avoid Rehoboth Beach as much as possible.  Why?  Traffic.  Very simple.  One just sits in traffic, inching one's way towards "the beach."  I remember last year when I suggested to my Canadian friend that we "go to the beach."  After about a half an hour of sitting in traffic in the steaming heat I told him to make the next U-turn.  We headed home for a more sane alternative to spend our summer afternoon.  

So yesterday I put myself on the boardwalk and did my sprint to the end.  After only a few minutes I heard "Is that Ron Tipton? Yes, that is Ron Tipton!"  I was recognized.  Ah fame, not so fleeting.  The person who recognized me is a blog follow and a new found friend Susan M.  Small world.  This is the same Susan who just happened to be in the Backyard Restaurant in Milton last month and recognized Dr. Spo and Company.  Small world.  


Susan - blog follower meets up with blogger 

Susan and I had a pleasant chat and we were both soon on our way.  Just another interlude in a very pleasant day folks here in Rehoboth Beach, Washington D.C.'s summertime capital.



16 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Ah yes. Resort living. I feel the same way, I won't set foot near Virginia Beach during the "resort season". When I lived only a scant 30 minutes from Atlantic City I felt the same way. I was much younger then but I remember in my youth way back when a trip to the shore from Philly was a 2 to 3 hour ordeal, no expressway, etc. I have never lived more than a short (relatively speaking) drive from the water and even though I don't get to see it much anymore it's good to know it's there if I want to see it. I love living in an area that has relatively mild winters although if I had my druthers would rather be in Florida during winter months and north in the summer. Not going to happen so I'll just be happy with what I've got. It could be a lot worse.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      "Resort living" definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages. For one, our main source of income, the ocean, never goes on strike or ceases to be the draw. However,the disadvantages each year grow as more and more folks head down this way to see and enjoy all that Rehoboth Beach and it's environs have to offer. But I would rather live in this area than where Bill came from, Toccoa Georgia, which is a dead town. And, all the tourists keep out taxes down which is a biggie too!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. That is so cool that Susan recognize you!
    I live in a resort city too. It gets really crowded when it gets hot in the valleys and people try to cool off by the ocean. I don't blame them. We are so used to traffic at all time (day and night), that it really doesn't matter anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadge,
      Susan is such a nice person. I am still amazed that everyone I have met through blogging is so nice. Just goes to prove there are nice people "out there."
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:51 AM

    Ron, it was great to see you! We should have lunch at Café Azafran sometime. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      A very pleasant surprise to see you too! Yes, we will have to do lunch at Cafe Azafran. Perhaps when Pat is in town.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I hear you on that resort driving. One summer in college, I went to Sarasota, FL for an 8-week class. Driving anywhere SUCKED because all the resort drivers there were OLD PEOPLE! Talk about hard to get around, except on foot! HAHAHAHAHA (remember, I was 19-20)

    But you are right. Virginia Beach is the same way, and it's not a "small" beach town like Rehoboth Beach. Glad you had a great walk, and ran into a friend!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      In the height of the season down here, the traffic literally comes to a crawl. It gets worse each year. I avoid Rehoboth from Memorial day to Labor Day and a few weeks thereafter. Just not worth the aggravation and frustration of the crowds. I'm glad we're popular though. Brings in the dough and keeps our taxes down!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Jolly good fun! It is nice to see Susan again. You should walk the boardwalk more often. The sea does one good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Yes, that was a most pleasant surprise to hear Susan shout "Is that Ron Tipton up there!?" Small world but then Rehoboth is actually a small town.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hey, Ron. We have the opposite problem here. I live in a town with a university. When the college is in session it is nuts around here. The grocery stores are busy, the restaurants are packed, and the traffic is nits. But on e they are gone.... Ah, bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Interesting to have the reverse "problem." It's basically dead around here in the winter. But once school lets out, the crowds descend. I'm grateful though for all the business they bring. Keeps our taxes down and businesses going.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Randy in NEB12:58 AM

    Hello Ron, Sorry I've been dormant for so long. Time does have way from slipping past. I was hoping that the hypnotist's suggestion would have stuck and I could be more responsible to my friends, blog and work. I guess I just went into hiding after I got back home. Anyway We have our own tourist mecca of sorts in Nebraska, in Omaha. The Berkshire-Hathaway shareholder's meeting is going on in Omaha. Thousands of people of all types are in town to see the oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffett. With hotels like the Hilton or Hyatt and Merriott rooms are normally $130 to $175 a night going for $400 and up a night with some place charging $700 to $1000 for a suite with a 3 night min. Makes the $160 I paid at an upscale place my last night in Richmond before my flight home the next day very cheap. I do hope I can make Philly next year and a room (downtown?) won't be too pricey. Always a pleasure and try not to work too hard my friend. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Good to hear from you! I was wondering "Where is Randy?" I hope you're dointg well. I missed reading your always interesting comments.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron - I think I live in the most congested city in the world - tho probably not. But as for getting around town here in Toronto - it is always busy and often grid locked. I do believer this city, really, is producing more condo than any other and has been doing so for sometime. And now city hall is debating to tear down one of our only thoroughfares due to its structural problems. Maybe everything will soften when everyone works from home.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      One of the main reasons I moved out of center city Philadelphia, even with all of its attractions, was because of the congestion. I just couldn't take it anymore. Bill and lived in "the country" (Downingtown PA) for over 25 years then I had to move from there to the flat open plans of coastal Delaware because even Downingtown and "the country" was becoming so congested (with all the school kids and families). I need space to breath. When I start to feel I'm suffocating I move. I think Delaware should last me the rest of my life.
      Ron

      Delete