Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ron Gets a Break



Guess what?  I got a break!

Late yesterday afternoon I ventured out again, with the goal to introduce myself as the neighborhood volunteer for the Democratic party.  The sun was out but very, very windy as I crossed over the no man's land patch of land between my development and the development where I usually walk and where today I was going again attempt to make my introductions.  

The first door I knock, no answer.  Another strike out.  I check my list of names and addresses on my clipboard, fighting the wind flapping my papers around.  With all the noise I'm making I'm announcing my arrival.  


No answer 

Next house I walk up the three steps and boldly knock on the door. As I've said before, I'm absolutely hating knocking on strangers' doors.  Fear of rejection - bothering people - loss of control - not cool - et al.  

The door opens.  I ask "Are you John Hamilton?"  A pleasant looking thin man, a few years younger than me (most everyone is younger than me these days) answers "No, he moved".  Strike out again!  Remember, last week the first door I knock on the nice lady answered and gave me the same answer.  Am I being punked?

Well, I had a nice conversation with this man.  During our conversation I asks him if he was a registered Democrat.  He was not.  He said he was an Independent which, actually I am.  Maybe if I had registered Independent I wouldn't have been volunteered for this present adventure.  But I digress.

With a handshake, I finished our conversation.  But during the conversation Mr. B. (name omitted to protect the innocent his privacy) said to me "Why isn't Covington Chase (the development I live in) having a yard sale tomorrow with us?"  What was that?  A - YARD - SALE?   Do I detect an opportunity here?  A yard sale as in almost everyone will be out tomorrow morning in front of their houses with their junk items?  You mean I don't to creep around your neighborhood like a snake oil salesman with my list of registered Democratic voters?  You mean I can just BLEND IN with the crowd?  Oh yes!  

Folks, it is now 7:07 am.  The yard sale is from 8 am to 12 pm.  

I'm going to have some breakfast now, then put on my white shirt, blue sweater with my local neighborhood Democratic volunteer badge and descend on the unsuspecting this morning. 

This should be good.  


18 comments:

  1. oh...I thought YOU were going to put some stuff out in your driveway to sell. :(

    but yeah, time to move in for the kill! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Mare,
      A very, very interesting day. An exhausting day. I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend. More in tomorrow's blog.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ha!

    Had you known this earlier, you could have also gotten rid of some of your junk, er, clutter, ah, *treasures* at the same time!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      "Junk? JUNK?" You sound like Bill now. :) I'm afraid most of my "junk" is going to stay with me until I make my grand exit an at that time some thrift store down here will get hit with an avalanche of "goodies" from the Ron Estate.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Tear it up! Make 'em listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      A very interesting day. Not quite like I thought it would be. Two different demographics. The out of staters who have moved to Delaware and in a higher income bracket and the native Delawareans who are definitely in the lower income bracket and were almost all very angry. Some day which I will write about in tomorrow's blog posting.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    Isn't it great when things go your way, even if they are unplanned? Now if there was only a way you could slip some of your slightly used but no longer needed items into said yard sales you could kill two birds with one stone and make a bit of money in the process.
    Happy springtime,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I thought of doing just that! Quite an interesting day though. I will write about my latest adventure in my blog tomorrow.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    That may be a break, at least you won't be the guy everybody is peeking through their blinds at saying, "Shh, don't answer the door. Probably somebody selling siding or lawn care of security systems." Doing that kind of thing isn't my cup of tea. I went about putting some fliers in doorways last year and felt nervous and sneaky.

    I have done the cold call stuff, though, it decades past. Go around strange neighborhoods knocking on doors and tell them you want to talk about Jesus and you have some interesting experiences.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      A very interesting day. I knocked on the doors of two different demographic groups. One, upscale and very nice. The other, well let's just say they were downscale and not so nice. The nicest folks were the ones who have relocated here from other states and have the more expensive homes. The others are those born in Sussex County and lived her all there lives and quite angry. I'm not sure why but my reception was consistently different with those folks. I will write about it tomorrow in my blog.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, a crowd to hide in! Good luck!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      The day didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would. There were crowds but I was still the odd finger. No hiding in crowds but I was successful. I will write about it tomorrow.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I thought for a moment (In my dyslexia ) it was you who was having the yard sale. I think you should; you would make a mint AND get them to come to you for polling etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I wouldn't go through the aggravation of a yard sale. I would either give it away or have a grand auction after my demise.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. You are missing a swell opportunity. It's a great way to make some money, clear out clutter, and meet chicks in your neigbhorhood.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to read what happened. (I am registered independent too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      A VERY interesting day! I will write about it in my blog tomorrow. I'm too exhausted right now but I did make progress. A LOT of progress.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Hey Ron - so far it sounds like a pretty good adventure. You get to meet some really nice people, talk politics, and get exercise! All good.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete