Thursday, April 03, 2014

Random Thoughts

September 1, 1974 - recently discovered photo I haven't seen in YEARS!

Next week was the original week for the Bloggerpalooza.  I sort of wish I hadn't changed the date back a month.  I did it because the hotel rates were lower.  Last year I scheduled the Bloggerpalooza for this time of year because of the wonderful spring weather and the lower hotel rates (before Easter).  However, this year the rates were raised a few weeks earlier so in my zeal to accommodate potential Bloggerpalooza attendees and keep their expenses down, I backed up the date of the Bloggerpalooza event.  In retrospect I wish I hadn't done it because it really didn't save anyone, including myself, that much money.  But it did cause some disruption in other's plans.  Well, that's all water over the dam now because this was the last blogger event I'll ever hold.  For a myriad of reasons but the main one is the expense.  I just can no longer afford it.  Time for someone else to take up the Cause.




I am so happy that spring has finally arrived.  Yesterday and today I hit Pepper's Greenhouse and stocked up on spring flowers like asylum, pansies (wouldn't you know?  Mr. Pepper actually called me "The King of the Pansies" last year - only realizing what he said after those charged words flew out of his mouth).  I've planted everything and doesn't my backyard look FINE? 


Our backyard Oval planter - the birds love it!

Tomorrow I have yet another appointment with a doctor, this time my dermatologist.  Seems the biopsy he took off of my right knee about six weeks ago still hasn't healed.  I know I'm not near as bad off as some of my contemporaries but man, my seemingly regular routine of doctors' visits is starting to get me down.  That plus I'm in for two extra shifts of work at the hotel this month.  I can always use the extra money but work all those shifts really does throw my digestive balance off.  When working at a hotel there is no lunch break.  You work straight through.  I try to grab a couple of crackers during the normal "lunchtime" just to stave off hunger.  Of course going to the bathroom is very difficult (one is expected NOT to go to the bathroom but to ALWAYS be available at the front desk - the guests haven't figured out that front desk "agents" actually go to the bathroom. We don't call people like me "clerks" now - not politically correct.  


Lunch (and dinner) at the hotel

I'll try to keep up my daily blog postings but don't be surprised if I skip a day or two.  I'm a little bit off the rails now because of an incident a couple of weeks ago that I'm having difficulty putting behind me.  Sorry to be so cryptic but there are those who read my blog who were responsible.  I know I shouldn't let little things like this bother me but sometimes they do.  I try to do what I think is best for everyone, almost always at a personal sacrifice but sometimes it's just not appreciated. It's what I call "a kick in the face" by an unthinking person who doesn't realize the harm he has done by his myopic and hurtful actions.  I need to put it behind me and I will.  Been here before.



Yes, that is the Philadelphia Art Museum behind me - photo taken 2 Sept. 1974

Enjoy the fine spring weather everyone!  

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Mr. Tipton:

    These past few days I have spent literally HOURS reading your blog, and I want to tell you "thanks" for writing it. Now, I'm not the most articulate tool in the shed :) so please bear with me as I try to put my thoughts into words.

    As sometimes happens in the blogosphere I came upon your blog purely by accident. Someone's blog made me click on someone else's blog (Udy with a J perhaps??) which led me to Sluggy's blog which led me to your blog. (This is probably a clue to you that I am a female). It was probably the photos plus graphics plus best of all sense of humour that initially drew me in. But I stayed because of what I perceive to be a fine sense of character. I've been reading through your blog backwards chronologically and as of last night I made it backwards through to Apr 2013. What a year you've had!! What a LIFE you've had. Why in the world is your blog called "Retired" in Delaware? Should be "Living it Up" in Delaware.

    Again, Iet me warn you that my thoughts will probably be in random order but I am just typing as I'm thinking.

    A few years ago (4.5 to be precise) I lost a friend prematurely at the too young age of 50. He hadn't discovered blogging at the time of his passing, but I imagine that it would have only been a matter of time before doing so. Reading your blog is a gift as I feel as if I'm reading his writing again. (He used to send me emails - and I have saved them to re-read over and over again). Obviously I've never met you but you are so OPEN on your blog, about all the good bad and ugly that I feel I know you. Your loyalty is rare these days. Your ability to cultivate relationships and keep friendships over decades is remarkable.

    I am not someone who "gushes" or heaps praise upon people in real life, so please forgive me if I sound like a lunatic at the moment. I can't have my reputation as being "stone cold" be tarnished - haha. I used the word "gift" before I want to reiterate that it is how I truly feel but still can't seem to articulate properly. My friend was very different from you in many ways but in the way that counts the most, the heart and soul, is what I think is compelling me to keep reading. Well heart and soul and also your ability to let your heart and soul shine through in your writing. He had a phrase he repeated often in his writing "like me as I am by damn or leave me the hell alone" but he, (as I suspect is the case with you) seemed to absorb everything, good and bad. I thought of him as an open nerve ending, if you can imagine that, one who felt your joy just as deeply as you did but then on the unfortunate end of that spectrum felt pain deeper than others. Unlike me with my "elbows up" mentality.

    As I said I've "only" read the past year. I am "parcelling" out reading the rest of your blog backwards as I want to have something to look forward to, does that make sense?

    I rarely comment on blogs (and when I do it's anonymous - sorry about that - but I did leave another comment recently - the Canadian who commented on Americans' pronunciations). It literally strikes fear in my heart to think of having my name and life "out there" and god forbid a picture!! I admire you so much for your openness. I wish I could be because I feel it's held me back in life.

    In summary, a big THANKS for putting a smile on my face while reading your blog. And to be honest a few tears as I think about my departed-too-soon friend.

    I'll end my note for now because I'm all over the place with my thoughts and in the words of Ron "Well folks it's getting old".

    from Anonymous a.k.a. The Canuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous a.k.a. The Canuck,
      First, thank you for addressing me as "Mr. Tipton", a form of address that I thought would be my due as a senior gentleman but one I rarely hear. Sort of nice. Also, thank you for your many nice things that you said about me in your comment. It always warms my heart when I hear from someone who truly understands me. I am who I am, imperfect but striving to be the best person I can. I am not false, which for some reason upsets some people, who feel the need to constrain me and advise me to be otherwise. Of course sometimes my straightforward honesty does get me into trouble and I have found that I do have to temper some of my thoughts when writing my blog. My constant challenge is the narrow path I have thus created for myself, to be honest and open without offending friends, family, neighbors and co-workers who are part of the mosaic of my daily life.
      No need to apologize for singing "Anonymous" when leaving a comment. I think I've been a little to harsh with my protestations in that area.
      My blog is my therapy. I'm saving money and time by not paying someone to listen to my real and imagined travails and having a good time while doing it because I do love to write.

      Thank you again for your kind and very generous remarks.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Hello "Anonymous" aka "The Cannuck",
      Would you mind telling me where you live in Canada. My other Canadian follower was curious.
      Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. We're off to the garden center this weekend; I want hydrangeas--no matter what Madonna says--in the yard, and more azaleas, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      I LOVE hydrangeas! I don't know what Madonna said about them but I'm getting more too! I used to have azaleas here but they didn't do as well here (soil probably to alkaline) as they did in my acidic Pennsylvania (woods) soil.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,
    The yard looks great. There are so many daffodils that even without the pansies would still look good. Pansies in my neck of the woods are planted in the fall and last all winter. I never saw them at that time of the year, too cold in the Philly area. It is nice to see a bit of color during the winter months and a lot of the business and residential properties plant them along with ornamental cabbage. They seem to survive the occasional freezes and bounce back. I don't know if they are a special breed.

    A note on the comment from anonymous above, she is spot on and pretty much said what I felt when I began reading your blog and Istill feel that way. Keep on going and don't look back except to savor the good and ignore the bad.
    Yours in Spring,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      It always warms my heart when I hear from a reader of my blog who understands me. Gives me hope!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    P.S. How about a picture when the tulips bloom.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Absolutely! In about two weeks, we've had a long and hard winter. I couldn't have tulips in Pennsylvania because of the squirrels. Thankfully, no squirrels down here so I'll have a nice tulip bloom.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Give me names and I will get my New Jersey Irish Catholic relatives right on those people for you! lol ! As mentioned before your vast picture collection from days gone by make any day more enjoyable Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      There is only one name (which I found out last night). I'm taking care of it. Thanks for your offer. I am a Scorpio, I never forget.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. The oval planter looks great, Ron, and watching birds splash around in birdbaths always makes me laugh...always --I guess that's delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo,,
      The word is out on my birdbaths, they all love it. Sometimes too much. In the height of summer I sometimes have to change the water hourly. Big job but it's worth it. I like providing an oasis for our feathered friends.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. That planter looks great! You are more than welcome to tackle my little half-acre if you get bored with yours! The nursery is about a mile down the road! I can't wait to see more pictures. You see, when I plant things like you do, they die, so the only pictures I get are of things that were growing here when I moved in. They seem resilient!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I love that planter! There are not many things that give me pure pleasure and serenity but growing things is one of them. When I'm in my backyard; tending, planting, pruning, trimming, and just fussing around I am at peace. Gardening for me is my "yoga", it gives me peace of mind. And my plants all respond. I think they know I care.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    Ah, many a time those crackers were my lunch and other times soft pretzels. We have oft sacrificed our stomachs to our misplaced loyalty to a job.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      You hit the nail on the head, "misplaced loyalty to a job." It's not appreciated and I don't know why I continue to do it. It's just the way we were brought up I guess.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I always enjoy random thoughts entries. They are like phone calls of 'what's happening?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Lots of random crap swirling around this old noggin,
      Ron

      Delete