Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Prostate Cancer - No Easy Answers



I occasionally go into the support group website Inspire to check and see how my fellow prostate cancer patients are coping with their diagnosis, tests and treatments.  I don't go as often as I used to because quite frankly sometimes it is depressing to hear what others are going through.  Makes me realize how lucky I am to have my prostate cancer localized (which is what I was told but one never knows). 

Last week I read a new posting, which was like to many other postings from men newly diagnosed with prostate cancer.  They are overwhelmed by all the options (which I won't go into here) and all the possible side effects (which I won't go into here either).  All of these men are looking for a clean cut (no pun intended) answer of how to treat their prostate cancer. Well folks, there is no easy answer.  

Thus I was heartened when I posted a response to one such man who didn't know how to proceed after he got his diagnosis of prostate cancer.  See below:



Hey folks, in life there are no easy answers.  From the day we are born we are programmed for survival.  Why?  I don't have an easy answer for that except maybe to love and be loved.  Thus, when we come to a point in our lives that our survival is threatened, when we feel we're losing control and when we feel we may not survive, panic sets in.  

A very ill friend of mine recently said "I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of HOW I'm going to die."  Same here folks, I am not afraid of dying. I just can't work up that fear.  Oh I know many of those "God fearing" folks want to make sure they get into Heaven.  I don't know what happens after you die (nothing I strongly suspect) but what I do know is what is happening when we're alive.  

I do not want to be dependent on anyone when I die.  I do not want to suffer excruciating pain (I am a coward at my core, yes I said it).  

I've lived a long life.  For over 90% of my life I've been extremely happy and content and not wanting for anything.  I've been loved and I have loved (and continue to do so, thank God).  Lesson, make every day count and be thankful.



7 comments:

  1. Very Well Written Ron a perfect reflection for me today sitting in the Cardiologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      Thank you. I thought this video was a good visual about how we all feel when trying to escape from the inevitable that we all must face. The first time I heard "Clubbed to Death" I of course thought of baby seals but I think the music could be applied to all of us. We just try to get through this life with some measure of happiness and doing the right thing before we end our days, hopefully in peace and not too much pain and discomfort and humiliation. I hope your cardiologist visit went well.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hey Ron - thanks for today's blog. It's great to be retired which is my situation for just over half a year. I had plans on what to do when I would be free of the desk. And I've kept up with them. But I also like to look at life in a one day at a time progression. The living in the now. It helps me appreciate more what 's going on at the moment. Of course I make future plans too - of which I'm excited about. It's a mixture. And for me that balance is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You're the one person who I know who has handled your retirement perfectly. I am so happy for you. I hope you have many good years in your retirement.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post. I especially love this line:
    "I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of HOW I'm going to die."
    Here is my philosophy:
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!"

    That is my prayer.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I go for the "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!" but I don't know about thte "thoroughly used up, totally worn out" body. I'll try to preserve as much as I can. :)
      Rpm

      Delete
  4. Combine this with the new post's matters = stop working, stop dwelling on death and do more lovely leisurely things - with a cocktail.

    ReplyDelete