Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Balance



Lately I've been thinking a lot about balance, as in my life.  I've been working too much lately.  I've been worrying too much lately about unimportant things.  I need to get my life back in balance.

The past few days I've been updating my Find a Grave.com (acronym FAG) account.  There is only one reader of my blog who knows what Find a Grave.com is.  We're volunteers who take pictures of gravestones and post them to a website.  I've talking about this "hobby" of mine before.  Some may think I waste my time, it would be better spent in going to church or say, volunteering my time at a local thrift store or some other endeavor they consider worthy of filling up my "spare" time.  But folks, walking around graveyards, enjoying the peace and non stress of cemeteries give me a peace of mind that I rarely find in other quarters.  I prefer to make my own decisions as to what to do with my time.




I go to work where there is all too often some kind of emergency.  I come home and try to figure out how to pay ever increasing bills on my mainly fixed income.  Just this week I received significant increases in my car and homeowner's insurance.  Consistent insurance increases are my biggest concern in my retirement. At my former home in Pennsylvania, ever increasing taxes were my constant concern.  Always something.




Then there is my health.  A year out from my prostate procedure I still have fatigue that requires me to take a daily afternoon nap.  Then there are the side effects.  Annoying and not suitable for discussion in this family friendly blog.  

It seems there are some that feel the need to volunteer my time for one of their causes.  Uh….no thanks.  I appreciate the thought but my plate is quite full already.  About a month ago I was quite annoyed when a stranger who I didn't know posted publicly on Facebook that I should "take the lead" in helping a sick member of our community.  Where did that come from?  Who is this person volunteering my time that I don't know? Trying to shame me into volunteering. Again folks, I'll run my own life. I'm the best judge of how I spend my time. Why don't you volunteer your time instead of taking to Facebook and trying to shame me into volunteering my time?  




So for the next several months (or longer) I'm going to take time out for…….myself.  I'm going to start posting my thousands of photos that I've taken over the past two years of cemeteries I've visited here in southern Delaware and during our trips South.  So if anyone is thinking of volunteering my for something, my plate is already full.  Cast your gaze elsewhere.







15 comments:

  1. Ron, it is your blog. Post whatever you want and ignore anonymous idiots. On Facebook, I like Owens Phillips photography France. He goes into cemeteries all over Europe and takes beautiful photos of tombs, statues, angles, crosses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      So you read the comment that said they liked me but I was still "a dick." I get those comments all the time, always from "Anonymous." Thought I would post one. Why they take offense to me I don't understand. I think I'm a pretty nice guy. I do have my opinions which I express in my blog. But it's like I said, some folks feel that it is their duty to censor me.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. make that 2 blog readers who know about "find a grave".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I didn't know Anne Marie. You know who the other one is don't you? Someone. I got him hooked.

      Delete
    2. And I am a FAG volunteer as well for the past 2+ years. I even fulfilled one of YOUR photo requests almost 2 Summers ago. How soon they forget....sniff, sniff..... ;-)

      Delete
    3. todd has always liked looking at F.A.G. and he pulled me into it. then to find out that you and someone post pix there...
      :)

      Delete
    4. My comment was directed at Ron....the photo request comment, that is. Do you and Todd enjoy genealogy too, anne marie.?

      Delete
  3. Ron,
    Good for you. Taking time for yourself at this stage in life is a no brainer. We all know that the longer we live the closer to the end we are. I was just remarking to a friend that I feel the spirit moving me to do things I have only thought about doing in the past. Her remark was don't fight it, you will move anyway. Follow your heart and go where you need to go.
    FAG is a wonderful website. I have learned so much about my family history and commend anyone who participates, it's a worthy cause. Although I am not a member I hope to this summer go to Pennsylvania and walk the graves of my ancestors, many of whom I would have not been able to verify were it not for FAG.
    I am with you on the subject of insurance, taxes, etc. My homeowners went up $4.00 per month, the auto another $4.00 (I bought a newer car) and the real estate taxes WENT DOWN only because the city lowered the assessment on my house. The rate stayed the same. So eight dollars a month doesn't seem like much except the measly increase from the government wasn't much more than $8.00 per month. I stopped worrying about that a long time ago. When the money's gone it's gone, I have just about scaled everything down except cable which means scaling that down would mean no cable at all. Sorry for the rant.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      You ought to become a FAG volunteer. It is fun. I got Someone of Dr. Spo hooked. It's very relaxing to roam the peaceful cemeteries, looking at the inscriptions of the headstones and what those people's lives were like. I too agree that FAG is a wonderful website. I have gained so much of my family history from it too.
      One thing is for sure Jack, in our retirement our expenses are going to go up faster than any cost of living increase in our Social Security. So far I've managed to stay a step or two ahead by the income (modest) that I earn working part-time at my hotel job. However, if I live long enough I can't see myself working there in my 80's or 90's. Those ever increasing bills are like the slowly rising flood waters of a river while my home sits vulnerable on the river bank. Something I try not to dwell on too much. By the way, do not apologize for ranting. I do it all the time. I enjoy reading rants. :)
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Was some deceased person considered so "trashy" as to deserve a green oil drum monument? ☺ That barrel kind of disrupts the serenity of an otherwise tranquil place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      That trash can sort of is jarring isn't it? Of course that could be a memorial too. One never knows.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. David,
    I didn't notice that green oil drum memorial! Ha! I don't think that was a memorial though ("memorials" are what we FAGs call headstones or tombstones). Some cemeteries are so concerned with left over plastic flowers that they have the trash cans on the ready to dispose of those expensive fake flowers that were put on graves, something which I never understand. The deceased doesn't know it's there.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may be in the minority here but I find cemeteries peaceful and beautiful.
    Not that I ever want to be in one, mind you. i prefer to be cremated and have my ashes thrown on Matt Bomer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      I find cemeteries peaceful and beautiful also. Some people do yoga, I do cemeteries to connect with my inner self. I've been "doing cemeteries" since before FAG was founded, ironically by a distant cousin of mine, Jim Tipton. I originally was going to be cremated but since discovering the serenity of cemeteries, I decided to leave a record of me behind. I have my plot, still haven't chosen my headstone but hope too soon. Who is Matt Bomer?
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Heavens! You sound more busy than most 'working men' I know. Retirement (I thought) should be leisurely not more work!

    ReplyDelete