Friday, January 24, 2014

Slice and Dice

This morning at the Medical Arts Building

7:15 a.m. this morning, slice and dice time for Ron.  Yes folks, this morning I continued to pay the price for all those years of baking on the beach working on my tan.  

7:15 a.m. was the time of my appointment with my dermatologist.  During my full body scan two weeks ago he found two suspicious spots on me.  One on my right cheekbone and the other on my right knee.  This morning my dermatologist sliced off both of the offending patches of skin for a biopsy.


The first part of the procedure are needles in the offending patches of skin.  This is the part of the procedure that really hurts.  And hurt it did. 


This is when I show my age, right before a medical procedure
I also had a keratosis patch burned off of the tip of my nose.  That hurt too.  I know I know, I'm a pussy. Looks like I need a haircut too.


The first biopsy taken
Next up, the knee.


I have my running shoes on.  Can't run away from this.
My dermatologist, the best!  



He's done a lot of slicing and dicing on my since I've been in Delaware.  This morning's procedure was done because he was concerned that the offending patches of skin were uneven and could be a precursor to melanoma.  That's one cancer you don't mess around with.


This is as close as I get to looking at my own blood
After the doctor stitches me up (yes, both cuts required stitches), Tammy comes in for the cleanup.


Tammy gets ready to clean me up and give me instructions - no bath for 24 hours - I'm gonna smell ripe this time tomorrow
I've had more work done on me these past 12 months than I've had the entire previous 72 years of my life - I may be falling apart - I feel like an old car that has to keep being patched up to keep it running

I'm done now.  Bill was waiting for me downstairs in the lobby.  He never goes into the dermatologist's office with me.  We head out in the cold (9 degrees) frigid air and home and warmth.  Another hurdle accomplished.  What's next?

Procedures done, I can smile now

8 comments:

  1. he's got legs, he knows how to use them (to quote rod stewart).

    sexy pix there, ron. hopefully your weekend will go better than today, and that the results will be benign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne Marie. I would like to go a month without some kind of doctors' appointments. My next appointment is with the eye doctor. At least that one won't hurt.

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    "We head out in the cold (9 degrees) frigid air and home and warmth. Another hurdle accomplished. What's next?"

    Possibly frostbite!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I miss my walks but it's just too darn cold outside. I'm turning into a slug.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hopefully, little or nothing is next. But being proactive is a good thing. My dad wouldn't go to a doctor until something exploded! With a bang!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I'm losing track of how many times I've been cut. Paying the price for all those years "working on my tan." Ironic that now I live near the beach I never go there. I don't dare.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I know this is only a matter of time and it's my turn,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Oh you got that right. About every other visit (I see my dermatologist every six months), he slices off part of my body for biopsies. Just a matter of time before I'm down to the bone. All those years of laying on the beach, if I only knew then what would happen now. Really, someone should make me the Poster Boy for skin cancer.
      Ron

      Delete