Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Selfies

Ron and "friend" in a Philadelphia hotel elevator taking selfless
Okay, anyone in the room who hasn't taken a "selfie"? Ah ha!  Just as I thought.  We've all taken a selfie. Or at least those of us who have a smart phone with a built in camera.  

For those of you without a smart phone camera here is the latest entry into the urban dictionary:'



The term "selfie" really exploded in the public consciousness when President Obama and Denmark's Prime Minister Helle Thorning Schmidt and British Prime Minister David Cameron all posed for their very own selfie at Nelson Mandela's memorial.   Of course their was the usual faux outrage from the usual sources that Obama was doing a normal human  activity but once you get past that nonsense, it was refreshing to see that taking a selfie knows no societal boundaries. 



Up until I saw the presidential selfie, I thought most selfies were those cheesy selfies on Grindr or Scruf, those smart phone apps for meeting "local gay, bi and curious guys for dating or friends ." Sure.




Just what is this world coming too folks?  Are the days long gone where one would meet their future mate in a church (straight) 


or a bar (gay)

Twink in a leather bar - looking for love in the WRONG PLACE
Yes folks, the selfie is here to stay.  Hop on the Digital Age Bandwagon or be left behind.  

Never too old for a selfie!


11 comments:

  1. never taken one. don't intend to do so either. sue me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I'll contact my lawyer this morning.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Cute pic of you two! Y'all look great! I wonder if those guys from that Grindr pic are real? They leave me more than a little breathless....
    Your friend,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      My friend in the elevator is my brother by another mother.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I've taken two selfies in my entire social media life. Not a fan of taking pictures of myself or being photographed. I don't mind those who do; it's just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg,
      I am a fan of taking pictures, have been since I received my first camera (a Kodak Brownie) as a Christmas present when I was 12 years old. I like having my photos taken of myself and like to take photos of others. Now that I am older, I just wish I had taken more because they are such great captures of moments of time. Taking photos is my thing.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron

    I'm falling behind again on your blog. Mea culpa. I enjoy taking selfies with people at events, get togethers, whatever. Good memories and so easy to do now.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed taking pictures for years Pat. I love the new option of taking selfies.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. 2014 is the year with the motto "It can wait" meaning I will not let myself be subjugated by the beastly cellphone !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surrender Dr. Spo! Surrender!

      Delete