Saturday, January 18, 2014

Old Family Photos

My great grandfather Hiram Tipton and his family about 1927 Limestone Tennessee
My grandfather Fieldon Jacob Tipton is the tallest man (of course) second from the right in the back row)

Good morning folks!  Little tired this morning.  Just got off of working three days straight at the hotel.  I'm a bit off my track now.  I have a couple of really good posts coming up but this morning I'll just touch base to let you all know I'm still here and not in the ER or just pouting.

Yesterday I discovered a photo of my grandfather Fieldon Jacob Tipton and his brothers and sisters and parents that I had never seen before on Ancestry. com.  I never knew my paternal grandfather, he died two years before I was born.  I've heard a lot about him and I physically resemble him.  He was a hillbilly (there, I said it) from the Appalachian mountains of western North Carolina, on the border of Tennessee.  


My Uncles Sam, Bruce and Tip at the Baker Place - cheap farm labor who lived in tenant houses - note the washing machine on the porch - my uncles Same and Bruce were the my last two Tipton uncle born in Pennsylvania

He moved to Pennsylvania with his nine sons about 1930.  Two more sons were born in Pennsylvania thus making up a football team. Actually, they moved to Pennsylvania to work on their uncle Don Byrd's farm as cheap farm labor.  Yep, this was before "the illegals".  Back in the day poor white trash relatives hillbillies were used as cheap farm labor.  Long story short, my father met my mother on a double and they fell in love immediately and I resulted one year later.  Miracles do happen!


My father (the tallest man in the back to the right - fifth son) and his ten brothers at a Tipton Family Reunion 1960 Downingtown, Pennsylvania - the last time all eleven of them were together
The Ike Tipton family - me (center) with my two younger brothers (yes, I am the Crown Prince) and Uncle Ed and  Aunt Mabel's place "int he country - 1948
I'm going to spend some time this weekend updating my family tree on Ancestry.com with photos.  I may not be updating my blog on a daily basis for the next few days.  I'll try but something has to give.


My grandmother Hester Lewis Tipton with ten of her eleven sons (Uncle Rich took the picture) after burying my grandfather Fieldon Jacob Tipton - 1939 at Union Cemetery, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania (of course my father is the tallest man in the back to the left)

My friend Pat asked me a few months ago "How do you have time to do everything?"  You know what folks?  I don't.  I rob Peter to pay Paul.  This weekend will probably be one of those instances.

So hang tight folks, I'll be back in full force in a few days ready to agitate, question, provoke, thrill and amaze soon!


The Great Carsoni!

13 comments:

  1. If you are not in the ER or pouting, I am worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I do like to pout and I'm good at it too!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hi folks - yes, for only$100 you can be on the banner page too!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I think that photo is a wonderful ad for Lewes, Delaware as a great tourist destination!
      Your pal,
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Pat,
      Some people put pretty girls on their blog banners. Me? I put a handsome guy. You could be a model!
      Ron

      Delete
    3. So Ron extorted $100 from you to be on the banner? I'd have paid you a $100! Very nice smile. But you would have to be supporting Wilmington, NC as THE better tourist destination!

      Delete
    4. Holy smokes and Ron said I was getting a deal.

      Delete
  3. Ron, I've got a lot of family photos (Mom's side) to go though and scan. Lot's of work but fun to go though. Yes Pat is a very handsome guy, and takes a great picture.Also just wanted to let you know, Johnny Carson was from Norfolk,NE just up the road from me about 45 minutes. And years ago his folks had a house in my town, I drive by it every now and then. Don't work too hard! Randy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy,
    Looking forward to seeing forward to seeing your photos. Yes, I knew Johnny Carson was from Nebraska. Yes, Pat is a cute.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 11 boys!

    I wonder what the statistical probability of that is?

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      Actually, there were 12 boys. My uncle Sam was a twin. His twin brother died at birth. Another interesting fact, my Uncle John married a woman who had nine sisters, no brothers. I'll have to post that picture of my aunt and her ten sisters. All beauties by the way.
      After my mother had her third boy (I have two brothers), she told me father "No more children! I'm not going to be like you mother with a dozen boys. Three are enough." Funny story.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Your dad was sure a tall man. A lovely trip down memory lane. Good luck on updating your ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Growing up in a family of a tall father and ten tall uncles, sometimes my brothers and I felt like we were in a forest. Eventually we got as tall.
      Ron

      Delete