Monday, January 27, 2014

Haircuts

Gail and Dino - barbers Rehoboth Beach, DE - 2013

I'm way overdue for a haircut.  Gail, my regular barber has been sick. For the past two weeks, every time I call, her husband answers the phone and says "She won't be in.  She's sick.  I think she has pneumonia."  

I'm in Shaggyville folks. For the past fifteen years, every since my hairline started to recede, I've gotten short haircuts.  Almost a buzz cut.  




You guys out there know how hard it is to get just the right barber to cut your hair the way you like it. Gail cuts my hair exactly the way I want it.


Nino the Barber cutting my hair in Philadelphia 3-31-1994

For over thirty years, when I used to work at Girard/Mellon Bank in Philadelphia my barber was an Italian immigrant (aren't all good barbers of Italian descent?) named Nino.  From 1965 to 1994 Nine was my barber.  Perfecto.  Even better, he didn't talk much when he cut my hair.  His barber shop was located in the basement of the bank building where I worked in Center City Philadelphia.  I would call from my desk to see if he was available and go down during the workday.  My boss didn't mind.  But alas, I eventually left my job in Philadelphia and went back to my hometown of Downingtown.


Nino and Joe Bosso - my Philadelphia barbers 3-31-1994
Much to my surprise the brother team of Tony and Joe Ursini were still cutting hair!  Tony used to cut my hair when I was ten years old.  In fact I used to clean his barber shop on Sundays for $10 and a homemade hoagie compliments of his wife.  Tony was born in the same year (1920) as my father.  And he was still cutting hair!


Brothers Tony and Joe Ursini - 2001
Funny thing, all the years when I was a smacked assed kid getting my hair cut by Tony I always had a cowlick.  After I got away from home and had other barbers cut my hair, I lost the cowlick.  I attributed that fact that my hair "grew up."  WhenI returned to Downingtown and got my hair cut by Tony again, after a nearly 40 year absence, the cowlick returned!  Hey, guess what?  He was combing my hair against the grain.  Thus I tiptoed through that very sensitive field and CHANGED BARBERS.  I started to have Tony's brother Joe cut my hair and the cowlick was gone.  But I still loved going to the Ursini's barber shop.  Such a feeling of "returning home".  Some of you guys will know that feeling if you have a regular barber.  
Sadly Tony died last year.  He was a legend in Downingtown and is sorely missed.  I can no longer get haircuts at Ursini's Barber Shop because they're in Downingtown, Pennsylvania; two and a half hours away.  I would love for Joe to cut my hair, just not practical.



Tony Ursini, World War II and at Downingtown's Veteran's Memorial Wall 2001.

So here I am folks, Shagsville.  Gail only has hours Wednesday through Saturday.  I'll give a call this Wednesday and if she's still sick, I'm going to have to to the unthinkable……get another barber to cut my hair.  I can just imagine what it will look like.  Pray for me folks.


Needing a haircut……BAD






12 comments:

  1. I remember when you wrote the post about your old hairdresser. It is also very hard for women to find good hairdressers. I don't drink so I don't go to bars… but it is so wonderful to find a nice place where you can just relax, talk to friends… and that would be a hair salon (for ladies) and barbershop (for men). I wonder where bisexuals go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I remember my Mother had the same problem. She would find a hairdresser that she really liked then pfft! The hairdresser wasn't there anymore. Then she went on the hunt, just like I'm doing now.
      Where do bisexuals go for a haircut? Someplace safe that's for sure. You can be sure they wouldn't be caught in a place readily identifiable as gay. But then we gays to to straight barbers. Those bisexuals sure do go to great lengths to make sure everyone knows that they aren't GAY.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron

    I suppose what looks shaggy to some might look just right to others. From the photo you sure don't look shaggy - but you are the one who know what you are used to. It's true - we develop relationships and loyalties to those we go to for service. I'm lucky that we have a number of super super cheap haircutting places in Toronto. Two, side by side, are a walkaway for me. Both are $6 for a cut. However, they get thru with me in a few minutes. They just get a blade #1 or #2 or 0 and go to town. Lucky too - since my hair grows so fast I have to go every 3 weeks. But Ron - you have a good looking crop of hair - with real colour!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Cheap haircuts! Down here in LSD, $12.00 is the cheapest. One can go to a "stylist" which is nothing more than a fancy name for a barber and an excuse to charge $25 or more for a haircut. Your hair does grow fast! I think the last time I got a haircut was six weeks ago. I've had my head shaved like yours but I think I'll let it grow longer for a while. Going for a different look.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I go every other month; my cut is $17; I'm in-n-out in 15 minutes. I do my own color, tyvm.

    I WILL be fixed up purty for the blogger gathering! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      Your hair always looks fabulous!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I go cheap. Great Clips is fine. I can walk in, wait less than 5 minutes (normally), and get a decent "shortened, thinned, off the ears" haircut for $12. No cowlicks, nothing special! And I wait until I can't stand it any more. Shagsville for sure with me!!! I'll get it cut next week, then probably not again until just before bloggerpalooza (whether I need it or not).

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      My barber also charges $12. I've been giving her $20 because it's worth it to me. If I lose here I'll go back to the $12 plus $3 tip. I wish I could find a young, good barber (preferably male) that would take me out until I check out.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Nothing is more soothing than a good trim and shave. Oh! what bliss to have a proper shave by a proper barber. Better than the spa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Once, many years ago, I had a barber shave. Glorious. I so enjoyed it. Alas, I don't think barber shaves are available these days in barber shops. In fact, old fashion barber shops are few and far between these days.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. you need to find a barber, a proper one, who can do a shave and a haircut - better than any spa.

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo,
      I've been searching. Hopefully I'll find a barber younger than me that will outlive me. I've outlived too many barbers already.
      Ron

      Delete