Monday, January 20, 2014

Eating Healthy



Growing up, some of my favorite foods were candy bars, caramel covered popcorn, potato chips and hoagies.  These days some of my favorite foods are hummus, eggplant and black bean soup. Yes folks, I've become one of THOSE people, a healthy eater.  

My vegan friend Pat at Wegman's in Downingtown, PA
About five years ago I started to pull away from eating red meats.  Occasionally I would have a well done hamburger with all the fixings at the Purple Parrot in Rehoboth but generally, red meat was no more in my diet. 

I stopped eating candy in 1960.  All during my school days I used most of the money I earned as a paper boy to buy candy and comic books.  When I joined the Army I left candy behind.  The damage was already done though, plenty of tooth cavities.

I never was a soda drinker.  Nor a coffee drinker although I did enjoy an occasional coffee after a restaurant meal.  

A healthy meal at Cafe Azafran in Lewes, DE

I never eat between meals.  I'm not a snacker. I gave up on snacking when I put on a lot of weight after my near death experience resulting from surgery when I was 17 years old.  I was so inactive during that time that my weight increased from 160 lbs. to 202 lbs.  I was determined to drop that weight so I went on a life long diet.  No candy and no potato chips.  However about twenty years ago I did become addicted to Doritos, that's not the same is it?

I used to love pork chops but about ten years ago my stomach started to rebel against pork fat.  Listen to your body Ron.  I'm listening. 

My main meat the past several years has been chicken.  Boneless chicken breasts.  Now I'm even getting tired of chicken.  

What about fish you ask?  No way, NO WAY.  I never was a fish eater.  No seafood.  NO WAY.  Seafood gags me.  

This summer I met a delightful man who happens to be a vegan.  Not a vegetarian but a vegan.  The difference is that he doesn't eat any dairy products.   I don't know if I can go that far, at least now.  I do like eggs and butter.  I am getting away from milk.  These days I have Almond milk on my cereal. 

A healthy lunch at Nectar in Lewes, DE

One of my very favorite "meals" used to be a grease ladened hoagie.  Hey folks, if I had one of these bombs these days I would be on the floor, writhing in agony.  

So folks, I'm one of THOSE people these days.  A Fussy Eater.  I'm listening to my body.  

Now I think I'll go out and get some more Almond Milk.  The weather forecast is for another Major Winter Storm.  Yep, I'm going to be one of THOSE PEOPLE who storm the local supermarket and clean off the shelves of milk.  However, in my case it's almost milk.  The basis for my nightly smoothie.  


  

10 comments:

  1. Good on you, Ron!

    One of my favorites is a hummus and avocado sandwich with tomato and onion/lettuce on whole wheat bread. Made by a company called Sunneen, out of Allentown, Pa. They make lots of good vegan stuff.

    And for a great, healthy gourmet meal, check out "Planet X" restaurant, just off the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      That sandwich you described sounds delicious! I'll have to try and make it myself. I've heard of the Planet X restaurant. When I can get someone to go with me (I hate to dine alone), I'll check it out. Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It is always very wise to listen to your body. Sometimes my body (or is it my belly, my eyes?) tells me to eat chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Chocolate is good for you. However, it does bind me up so I have to be careful how much I ingest.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I am actively trying to eat healthier. I use MyFitnessPal.com to track calories and ingredients. I strive for at least 5 meatless meals a week, not counting breakfasts which are usually banana/yogurt/blueberry/almond milk smoothies. I use almost no diary except cheese. I can't get away from that poison! Every time my doctor does my "numbers", they seem to be getting better. So I am heartened that my diet is OK. Now if I could just exercise more!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Changing lifelong eating habits are one of the hardest things to do. Right now as I type this I have indigestion from eating a friend chicken breast (skin and all) that I got from Royal Farms earlier today. That topped off with two homemade buttermilk biscuits. Not good. Good going down but not good now. I just got off FaceTime with Pat (my vegan friend from Canada) and he properly chastised me. I know one thing that when I do eat veggies, I don't have this kind of indigestion. I too like cheese but cheese does bind me up. Cheese does taste good going down though. You're on the right path but it is a life long challenge. One thing I've found recently that helps is smoothies which I will have before I go to bed in about an hour. Good luck with your diet and exercise.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Recently, I discovered NAAN!!! at my supermarket. It is the Harris Teeter brand, but says it is made in Canada. It comes in plain (or white flour), whole wheat, and garlic flavored. These are Middle Eastern and Indian in derivation. Mine come as two loaves (flat-bread), 4.4 oz each per package. They make absolutely the greatest sandwiches in the world. Load them with cheese or whatever you like in a sandwich, and heat them up in the oven (important as the heat makes the Naan much more tasty). Take it out of the oven and fold it over, cut it in half, and you have enough for two servings! So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I've heard of NAAN. I'll have to check it out now that you've recommended it. Sounds good!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron

    I know you tend towards a healthy diet. Sure, and even tho I'm vegan I lapse enough times into potato chips and french fries to know I've got to do the old will power thing. Next, however, are you going to try hot yoga?

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm getting healthier everyday with the food I eat but I doubt that I could ever go "all the way."
      Ron

      Delete