Saturday, January 25, 2014

"And Now For a Few Words From Our Sponsor"



  I hate most commercials.  I DVR TV shows so I can fast forward through commercials.  But every now and then, I see a commercial that I like.  This morning was one of those times.

This was a commercial for Volkswagen Passat.  Only 30 seconds, it says everything you want a commercial to be.  Shows the car, has respect for the viewer's intelligence, and leaves you feeling good after watching the commercial.  Plus, in this day of diversity, it is sure to appeal to the growing Hispanic population in this United States of America.

Too many commercials I see today (and in the past) have the same common theme:  the adult white guy (dad) is portrayed as a clueless Doofuss and the wifey poo is portrayed as the "adult" and the children spout a vocabulary beyond their years.  I guess all of this is supposed to be "cute", but I find it always annoying.  

Now here is another car commercial, this one for Volvo that is also innovative, interesting and will make you remember the product.




  I didn't mean to go this way with the car commercials but here's one from the 2013 Super Bowl for Audi that's pretty cool.



One of the funniest commercials (getting away from the car commercials now) that I ever saw was the "Mama mia that's a spicy meatball" commercial for Alka Seltzer. This commercial was made in 1969 and I haven't seen it in years. I just viewed it again to see if it was funny enough to add to this posting and man oh man, I laughed just as hard. Damn but this is a funny commercial.



Continuing on with the funny commercials, who can forget the "Where's the Beef?" commercial for Wendy's? Can you believe this was made 30 years ago in 1984? Time flies when you're having fun. 



Then there is my favorite, Doritos! This one is from the 2013 Super Bowl. Short but to the point. Yes, I am addicted to Doritos. Don't have a goat though but when I'm out of Doritos (just brought two more bags this morning), watch out!

 

I searched and searched but I finally found a commercial that depicted a woman (a blonde) as the dummy instead of the white dad/guy. Here is one for another car, this one Mercedes Benz.



  I'm on a roll folks. Here is a funny commercial from Land Rover. I was going to write a blog about commercials I hated but decided to write one instead about commercials that make me laugh. Unfortunately, we don't see too many of these commercials. 



 And how can I let out the Fiat? 



  And we'll end with dog commercials. How can anyone go wrong with a dog commercial? Enjoy and have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't think I was going to watch all those commercials but I did. Thank you Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lot of commercials Nadege. I didn't mean to post that many but once I got started there was no stopping me.😝
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, this commercial for Old Spice is one of the best I have seen in years. Funny and yet touching in a way. Works to keep the focus on the product and makes it desirable. This is a brilliant piece of advertising. http://youtu.be/mBA8LlgSarw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      I've seen that Old Spice commercial! I almost posted it. You're right, it's good.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I don't watch TV so I miss out on all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You don't know what you're mssing! :)
      Ron

      Delete