Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Sandals


Brown Leather Biblical Sandals (for sale on eBay for $19.99)
I don't know about the "big toe" thing

Do you wear sandals?  I don't wear my shoes in our house.  This is a habit I picked up when I moved in with my spouse Bill Kelly in his Pennsauken, New Jersey apartment in 1965.  Bill had spent many years stationed in Japan when he was in the Air Force and that's where he picked up that habit.

Over the years we have frequently asked guests in our house to take off their shoes before entering our house. We do this because do you know where the soles of your shoes have been?  People spit on the ground (an American habit I never understood).  People get gas at a gas station.  Ever look at the ground while you're getting gas.  Ugh!

Then if you're a frequent bar goer check out the floor of the men's room.  Nuff said.  

Of course we have had folks in our house who weren't happy when we have made this request, usually service providers who would rather go tromping through our house with their muddy boots (got that Comcast?)  And then there was the fella who I used to have in to repair my Windows based computer (which I no longer have; him or the Windows based computer) who just ignored my request.  He would bug his eyes at me and just walk in my house, engineer boots and all.

A few months ago I met a delightful gentleman (in every sense of the word) from Toronto, Canada.  If you're a regular reader of this blog you know his name is Pat.  When Pat entered our house I didn't have to ask him to remove his shoes, he didn't have shoes.  He was wearing sandals.  And he removed them on his own and not only that, he turned them upside down.  As I said, a real gentleman in every sense of the word.  

My buddy Pat in his de rigueur sandals

Pat told me he wears sandals "all of the time."  He wore his sandals to work.  He wears his sandals when he shops.  Of course in his house he doesn't wear his sandals, he goes about in stocking feet.  

Pat's feet

His rationale is "Why cover your feet?  Let them breath?"  I have to say, I'm starting to seriously think about this. I never got the wearing loafers without socks.  That seemed painful to me.  Plus, your feet sweat so I never got that style.  But wearing sandals with socks, yes.  

So folks, I'm thinking of changing my style.  Hmmm, do you think I can get away with wearing sandals at work?  Probably not.

This weekend at my family reunion I noticed footwear.  Apparently I'm not the only one who is into sandals.  


Footwear at Sunday's family reunion - sneakers, moccasins, and flip-flops 


Dueling flip-flops and moccasins -sans socks

Some folks just have to be different 

14 comments:

  1. I wear clogs no sox every day. around my house, it's house slippers. and in your house, I certainly didn't mind removing my shoes. whatever floats your boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    Most people we request to remove their shoes upon entering our house don't mind. It's those few that Bill and I remember, all too well. The Cajun's former was one of them. He absolutely refused to remove his boots. He just ignored my reasonable request. Bill doesn't wear his socks around the house but does wear flip-flops. I don't like to walk around barefoot because there is oil in our feet and I don't want to get that oil and body odor embedded in our carpets. Maybe if I had hardwood or tile floors I would feel differently.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feet suck. But I have footwear that is appropriate to the event. Shoes, boots, sandals, slippers, socks, bare. It all depends. And I don't mind taking off my shoes (or clothes) on request.

    (I note Bill isn't in your family photos. Was he there? Just curiosity.)

    Love the post! Coolness!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Where was Bill in the family photos? He wasn't in the group photo and that was my fault. He was in our car and I forgot to ask him. I have him in other photos which I will post.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. It's a great idea to remove shoes before entering a house (de riguer in the Orient). Shoe soles are filthy. It's also a great idea to let feet "breathe" without shoes. I went barefooted a lot in California when I was a kid (that's also unsanitary). I also wore sandals a lot during my hippie and India phase.

    Here in the disgusting wilds of West Texas I always wear boots - - due to the dirt, mud, scorpions, fire ants, snakes, tarantulas, and other undesirable things.
    I also always wear shoes or slippers or even boots in the house - - so I won't accidentally step on a scorpion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I'm not sure about wearing sandals out in my back yard. Although the most dangerous animal I have in my backyard is a rabbit and the insects are mosquitoes, I still would rather wear shoes for those times I'm traipsing around the back yard. When I was a kid we (my brothers and I) never wore shoes. Couldn't do that now. But I think I will start wearing sandals, give it try anyway.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I've always loved sandals, but my feet have taken such abuse over the years I am embarrassed to wear them today. I simply can't abide flip-flops. They're dangerous and not at all good for your feet. The thought of socks with sandals is a real turnoff for me. Not only aesthetically, but if you're caught in the rain or walk a wet beach, you spend the rest of the day in wet, soggy socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good points! I don't like flip-flops either, especially for driving. I do like socks with sandals though. Not that often you're caught in the rain with sandals and socks. You can always changed the socks (carry a spare pair in your rear pocket.)

      Delete
  6. Ron

    I know I am definitely not a fashion beast wearing socks and sandals - at least in the general view of what is considered good taste or style. But I don't mind. Not that I'm going to don a cassock but I always thought monks looked pretty cool in their heavy woolen socks and sandals. Tho it's not about the style. I just prefer loose, breathable apparel.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I beg to differ with you. I think you are the "fashion beast." You have a unique style which I admire. You would look good in just about anything, Having said that though, that jacket you bought (and returned) a few weeks ago......that wasn't your best look. But in a monk's garb? Definitely.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. I love sandals/flip flops. If I could only wear them everyday, anywhere, I would. Sorry about the Comcast tech who did not wear the disposable booties. Can you tell me when this happened? We always require techs to wear their disposable booties when entering a customers home. So that we can look into the incident, do you mind sending me your account info and contact info?

    Thanks in advance,

    ComcastMark
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ComcastMark,
      Thank you for your comment. The incident happen when I moved I to my house in November of 2006. He said he was a "sub-contractor." I assume that mean he was exempt from taking his boots off ) it was raining outside). No need to contact me now but if I do have a need for another visit by a Comcast employee, now I know they will put booties on before entering my house.

      Thank you,

      Ron

      Delete
  8. My vanity gets in the way of me wearing sandals. I like them with socks, then I heard socks and sandals are a major fashion faux pas. Rather than saying screw that, I don't wear sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I would wear socks with sandals if I wore sandals, major fashion faux pas or not. I am seriously considering it. Free those feet!

      Ron

      Delete