Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Medical Update

Where I gave blood this morning - hopefully this is my last visit this year

Just got back from giving blood for my "labs."  This was right after I dropped off a container of my pee urine that I had collected for the past 24 hours.  This was the second container of urine that I was requested to turn into my urologist's office.  Hey folks, there's nothing like carrying two liters of pee sloshing around in a container into your doctor's office and handing it over to the nice lady behind the reception desk.  

I think this summer has been a ball breaker in more ways than one for me.  I've had every orifice (both back and front) prodded, poked and biopsied this year.  More than all the times combined in the past 71 years of my life.  I have no modesty left folks.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  I am literally "open" to just about every one in the local medical establishment.  And I thought when that lady at the Wilmington VA Medical Center checked my balls for testicular cancer back in 2005 killed any qualms I had about modesty.  Oh no, more to go. 




Well folks, I am relieved to say that I am free of doctors, visits and medical procedures for at least the next month.  Next up is a full body scan at my dermatologist for skin cancer.  I've been going to a dermatologist just about every six months since 1986 when I was diagnosed with actinic keratosis, a pre cancerous skin condition.  So far, no cancer but I have had numerous bits of skin removed and a few surgeries resulting in stitches.  No fun there.

In a few weeks I'll embark on my 73rd year of this earthly existence.  I would prefer another ten or fifteen years of good health, both physically and mentally.  I am at a good point in my life now.  Home is paid for, I'm married, I have several really good friends who make me very happy.  

As previous readers of this blog know, I am planning a Big Birthday Bash for myself by returning to my old haunts in Philadelphia during my birthday week.  I've been wanting to do this for years and now I am finally realizing this item on my Bucket List.

I'm feeling good folks.  Got my appetite back but not the weight.  My favorite time of year is here, fall.  I'm ready to enjoy some of my retirement years now.  

9 comments:

  1. Hey Ron...

    I thought testicular cancer was almost exclusively the province of the young, not something for old guys like you, er, US!

    Maybe that lady at the VA was just copping a free feel...lol!

    :-)


    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I didn't know that testicular cancer was primarily among young men. I was at the VA for another issue (kidney stones again) when the lady said she wanted to check me. What was I going to say? She checked and noticed a small lump but I told her it had been there since I was a 12 year old when I jumped on my bicycle while delivering newspapers on my paper route and landing on my right testicle. I knew I had damaged something because of the intense pain but I never went to the doctor. I've had no ill effects since that time so I guess I'm all right.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I look forward to lots of pictures from your Philadelphia adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      You can bet I will take a lot of photos. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. @andy, my friend buddybear had testicular cancer at age 19. it can strike any age. I was 35.

    ron, you still have another 25 years left in ya; go out and live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I am having the interior of my house painted and new floors installed so I am in the middle of a construction (war) zone and the computer was covered in plastic so it was unavailable to me for most of the day. Also the only comfortable place for me is my bed, the furniture went out yesterday so there is no place to sit.

    I am so glad that everything is looking up, up, up for you health wise. You deserve a rest and need to get yourself back in shape.

    Happy birthday! There will be many more I am sure.

    Hoping to see some nostalgic pictures of Philly.

    I appreciate your offer with help on the blog and I will call you. After you return from Philly and things quiet down here.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have had your share of medical matters; I hope the most of it is done and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I've had more medical drama this year that I have had in all my years combined up until this year. Enough already.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron

    I don't know why you've been levied with these various medical conditions over the last years - but I think your overcoming them has a lot to do with your positive spirit and your fighting courage.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete