Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Found Treasures

My good-looking and positive influence friend Pat from Toronto, Canada taking his first "selfie" with his new iPhone which I suggested that he buy - I'm having a positive influence on him too!


Because of the very positive influence of my new minimalist BF Pat of Toronto, Canada; I continue to clean out my accumulation of 72 years of "stuff."  Everyday I'm finding new treasures!


Me cutting my birthday cake celebrating my 38th birthday - 1979

During my clean out this morning I finally came across one of my favorite photos of me.  It was taken at a surprise birthday party for me on my 38th birthday on November 9th, 1979 at my friend Bob McCamley's "Ranch" outside Georgetown, Delaware.  Prior to finding this 8" X 10" enlargement of that festive occasion, the only photo I had was a small pixel photo that I had transferred from my old Gateway computer.  I still don't know here my original photo is but no matter, I have this one which I scanned into my computer this morning.  Regular followers of my blog have seen this photo several times before but I post it again, because this is a better version.  More pixels.  And yes, I have framed the 8" X 10".  No place to hang it though!  Oh well.

During my digging in the many boxes in my basement storage room this morning I came across a tablet in which I had written down notes to myself.  I don't know when or why I wrote the notes but what I find interesting is that I don't remember much of them.  This is why I like saving things, especially something I've written.  When I read them years later it's almost like someone else wrote them.  

So, without further ado, here is a transcript of what I wrote.  

Things I need to spend more time on in my life:


  1. Researching my family genealogy
  2. Getting rid of a lifetime of accumulating "things
  3. Catching up on my e-mails
  4. Writing my autobiography
  5. Selling my more valuable "things" on eBay
Things that I need to spend less time on in my life:

  1. Working at the hotel
  2. Trying to please everybody
  3. Arguing religion
  4. Arguing politics
Things I wish I could spend more time on in my life:
  1. Researching my family genealogy
  2. Organizing my photos and videos
  3. Downsizing
  4. Staying in touch with far away friends and family
Things I love about myself:
  1. The ability to cut through the lies and distortions and see the truth read people.
  2. My love of animals
  3. My work ethic
  4. My honesty
Things I hate about myself:
  1. My reluctance to hurt people's feelings
  2. Low self-confidence
  3. My fear of driving on crowded highways and at night.
  4. My naïveté.

Things I look forward to:
  1. Getting older Dining out with friends.
  2. Getting a cat (or cats)
  3. Watching my garden grow
  4. Summertime and walking on the boardwalk Making new friends.
Things I dread:
  1. Preparing my taxes
  2. Colonoscopy preparation
  3. Confrontations
  4. Driving at night in the rain or fog.
Things I once believed but no longer do:
  1. Religion (Christianity)
  2. Authority figures
  3. That evil does not succeed
  4. Good deeds and people are rewarded recognized and rewarded.
Things I love to do despite being bad at it:
  1. Dance
  2. Talk
  3. Paint pictures
  4. Play sports
Things that I hate to do but I do anyway (and quite well):
  1. Run a household
  2. Call a Help line to resolve a problem
  3. Clean out a drawer or closet
  4. Work full time at the hotel
Things I did of which I am ashamed:
  1. Failed to return a call to a good friend shortly before she committed suicide.
  2. Stood up my date to her Senior Prom.
  3. Stood up a former boss for a lunch (see a pattern here?)
  4. Lost my temper with a former boss which resulted (I didn't finish this sentence on the original form but I did lose my job, he fired me)
Things I did for which I am proud:
  1. Voluntarily joined the Army for three years right out of high school.
  2. Gave jobs and provided leads for jobs for unemployed friends.
  3. Kept my Mother out of a nursing home (promise kept Mom)
  4. Built two dream homes Stayed in a committed relationship with my life partner for 46 years (now 49 years - I obviously wrote these notes three years ago)
Things I didn't do which I regret:
  1. Have children
  2. Visit a foreign country (Canada not included)
  3. Become a commercial artist professional photographer.
  4. Floss my teeth regularly (which I do now with great results)
Things I want to do before I die:
  1. Write my autobiography
  2. Sell all my valuable collectable on eBay.
  3. See Visit England Have a cat.
  4. Have a Pomeranian dog
So there you go folks.  Ron's mind at work some three years ago, surmising his accomplishments and failures during the previous seven decades of his life.  

Well folks, I have a few more years (I hope) left.  Let's see what I can do with them.

Note:  Photo shoot compliments of my (former) friend Bob Adams who took these photos with his new camera in 1999 - I didn't break his camera.

10 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I think Apple should pay me a commission for recommending their products to you a few years back. Since then you have persuaded several others to buy Apple products. I may have created their best salesman.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Your Apple recommendations have been felt far and wide. Thanks!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. you and dr. spo love your lists! interesting how some things have turned out, innit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I've always loved lists. Something else Dr. Spo and I have in common.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Another very interesting post - - and another one that I can strongly identify with. I won't bore you with details (not much, anyway) but we have many things in common.

    The older I get the more I hate driving, the less faith I have in organized religion, and the more I find myself writing lists. I'm presently in the process of trying to sell some of my antiques and art collection. I have an enormous amount of things in storge - - because I still have most of my parent's possessions.

    You mentioned that you have low self-confidence. I have EXTREMELY low self-esteem but hardly anyone believes it. It doesn't come through in my writing. In reality, I harbor a dangerous amount of self-criticism and lack of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Yes, we have a lot in common. Perhaps that why I am so drawn to your blog and your postings. While I don't agree with everything you write I understand where you're coming from because I used to be there myself.
      I probably shouldn't have low self-esteem but after enduring the first 17 years of my life with the constant put downs and belittlements by my father, one never completely overcomes the feelings of inadequacy. Like a lot of other people, I feel like I'm fooling people. If they only knew the real me they wouldn't like me so I have to keep up this facade. When in reality you as well as I probably are better adjusted that most people. But we've both had difficult childhoods, you more so than me. But at heart we both know we're good people Jon and I think a lot of other people know that now.
      Always good to hear from you Jon.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I got rid of cable TV several years ago! Now my HD TV is connected to an antenna, which actually gives better HD than cable. Almost all of my TV watching in on PBS which is great. Educational without commercials, though I do hate their beg-a-thons. The only other TV I sometimes watch on broadcast TV is news shows, but they become so repetitive, I tire of them quickly. How much can you say about the government shutting down?

    Recently because of discussions on Charlie Rose, I bought season one House of Cards, a Netflix production starring Kevin Stacey. It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I like Masterpiece Theater. I don't like the beggathons though, that's why I rent the DVD's through Netflix.

      You're right about today's news. How many ways can you report the government shutdown?

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron

    I always enjoy your blog. Oddly - I sometimes think I have trouble keeping up with them and yet it takes you all that time to produce them and respond to comments. And another reason I like your blog is because i love the comments of your readers. It's a nice community here. Or am I being Polyanna Pat again? And the lists are great!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy in NEB.1:50 AM

    Ron, Many good looking and handsome men in this post. You look better than I did at 38years. Later my friend. Randy.

    ReplyDelete