Wednesday, October 02, 2013

A View of the City

My niece Karen Tipton on our Philadelphia roof deck January 1979

Bill and I lived in Center City Philadelphia from 1969 to 1980.  We lived in a row house at 2409 Naudain Street, one block away from the famous South Street of the Motown hit song.  Those eleven years were some of the best years of our lives, especially my life.

Me working on my future skin cancer tan on our roof deck

I was able to walk to work. I was also about to walk to my favorite gay bars watering holes. It was all good.  However, the one thing we were missing in our 16 foot wide, 50 feet deep, three story town house was a sun deck. So what did Bill do?  He built one.  

Our Naudain Street Philadelphia home with room on roof 

Oh how well I remember helping him carry up about hundred cement cinder blocks up three stories to the roof.  A LOT OF WORK, but well worth it.  

Bill on our roof deck

Once the job was completed, we had a beautiful, free view of the Philadelphia skyline.  The photo at the beginning of this blog shows my niece Karen Tipton posing with the Philly skyline behind her.  The view was just as outstanding at night.  

The other view of Philadelphia from our roof deck

That little row house, which we bought for $27,000 in 1968 sold for $592,000 in July of 2009!  Who would've thunk?  


8 comments:

  1. Paul Forestor,
    I accidentally deleted your comment. Could you send it again?

    Thanks,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old photos bringing back old memories! It is wonderful that your past is still alive through your photos!

      Paul Forestor

      Delete
  2. Ron

    Like you I've had the privilege of living in specific areas and in particular accommodations. A good environment really adds to the quality of life. And from talking to you, reading your blog, and watching your video - I'm thinking you'd not really want to be anywhere else. So congrats on such an accomplishment.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,

      I've been lucky in that I've lived in areas where I wanted to during different periods of my life. When I lived in center city Philadelphia, that was perfect for my "wild years". Then living in "the country" was perfect for my settling down phase. Now that I'm living in Delaware, this is perfect for my retirement years. Next stop, Northwood Cemetery and I already had a "lot" reserved.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful sun deck! The cement cinder block look great but I can only imagine what a job that must have been to carry them up three stories. And what a fantastic increase in the price of your property!! You really hit the jackpot.

    My Mom had always wanted to invest in property in Southern California (many years ago when it was cheap). My father wouldn't have anything to do with it. I remember many houses there that were under $50,000 and are worth millions today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I thought we would never finish taking cinder blocks up to the roof. Each one had to be carried up individually. Many years, after we moved, we noticed all the cinder blocks had been removed. That must have been quite a job to take them all back down again. Of course Bill didn't have permission from the city to build that roof deck either. That's Bill. He just goes ahead and builds without regards to local ordinances or permissions.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. 1979, that was a good year. I love seeing old pictures like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick,

      I was so lucky to live in the city during those years. They were indeed the best. Ironically, I left (1980) just after the whole AIDS thing came down. That changed center city living and the whole gay culture forever.

      Ron

      Delete