Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Twas The Night Before..........

A smiling Bill and me Monday waiting to get our marriage license application
Well folks, it's been a long wait but the Big Day will finally arrive tomorrow.  

At 9:30 a.m. I will marry my longtime friend, partner, lover and confident William Daniel Kelly.  

Tomorrow, July 3rd is our 49th anniversary.  Little did I know of even dare to dream that one day I would marry that handsome man that sent me a drink across the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia Pennsylvania on that July 3rd, 1964 Saturday night.  

Bill had been sending me drinks via his friend Jerry the Bartender for about three months before that July 3rd night that I walked around the bar to thank him.  From the first moment we talked, I knew Bill was different.  I had the feeling that we were destined for a life together.  However, the thought never occurred to me that one day we could live out lives with all the dignity, respect and legal protections that are accorded straight couples.  I knew that when I moved in with Bill we would lead a furtive life, hiding our love.

During our 49 years together Bill has always preferred to live in the shadows.  Bill is of that generation that knew to survive one had to hide his true identity.  I was always the more open about my sexuality during the long years of our relationship, much to Bill's chagrin.  

I attended the first gay equal rights march on Washington D.C. in 1979..... alone.  Bill would not go.  I also attended alone the 2009 Equal Rights march in Washington, D.C. ....alone.  I've always attended my class reunions.... alone.  I've attended my family reunions.... alone.  Even this year's Bloggerpalooza I attended alone.  This year for the first time Bill said he will attend my family and class reunions with me.  I am beyond thrilled. 

Bill seems to have changed his outlook on life now that he is no longer marginalized.  Because of marriage equality Bill is no longer discounted as a human being or treated as "less than."  

And that folks is the biggest and best result that will come from our marriage tomorrow.  

Me and Bill practicing Monday getting married

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations again and have a wonderful day tomorrow. Bet you can't wait for the honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sean! By the way, Bill is my "Jeep Guy." He had one for almost 25 years.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Have a fabulous day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations: I will be thinking of you two tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. All the best to you both! Yours is a great story and a wonderful inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No cold feet, now. All my best wishes, Ron and Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,

      The day is here!

      Ron

      Delete