Monday, July 08, 2013

Gay Marriage Timeline

We're featured on today's Gay Marriage USA timeline in Facebook

This morning I greeted Bill with the news that our marriage photo and video is now on the Gay Marriage USA timeline on Facebook.  Bill asked "When is this going to be over?"  Poor Bill, he wants so much to go back to anonymity.  I gently reminded him that when he got on the Ron Tipton roller coaster that his life would never be the same.  He said "I know!  I know!"

The last time we were on the Gay Marriage USA timeline, there was a photo of us before (1964) and after (2011).  We were hoping that gay marriage would be legal in Delaware before we died.  Well folks, as you all know that DID happen much to our surprise.  Who would have ever have guessed that in our lifetime we could actually be married for real and have all the dignity, respect and legal protections and benefits that accrue to other (read "straight") Americans?  I still feel like I'm dreaming and will wake up at any moment.



Now for my gay brothers and sisters who live in those states that still legalize discrimination against LGBT couples to get married and experience this euphoria that Bill and I are experiencing right now.  Yep, we're still on our honeymoon.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulation on making it to the Gay Marriage USA timeline on Facebook. Things have changed drastically since the beginning of your long journey 49 years ago!

    Unfortunately, Facebook STILL won't let me access my account because they think I'm "fictitious". I've long given up on trying to convince them that I'm real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Bill is getting uncomfortable now with all this attention. Of course I am LOVING it. You are so right, things have changed drastically since Bill and I first met 49 years ago. I never in a million years would have believed that we could ever have gotten married and be recognized as equal under law. A dream come true.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful adventure you are having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I'm loving it. Bill wants to go back to anonymity. Wait until he sees the marriage announcement I placed in the local newspaper. I think I'll keep that a secret from him. I do think we're the first gay couple to place a marriage announcement in a Delaware newspaper. I also think we're the couple that has been together the longest and still alive. Oh yes, I am loving this.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. bill cannot go backward; it's FORWARD from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      You know of course you owe Bill a kiss. Just saying.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. next time I see him I will! :)

      Delete