Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dog Days of Summer



Well, here we are folks, just a week or so past The Fourth and we're into the Dog Days of Summer.

I am exhausted.  I got a call early this morning from my co-worker at the hotel asking me if I could take her shift over this morning.  My co-worker is a mom who has four rambunctious boys.  I know how that works, I'm the oldest of three boys that my Mom popped out.  I know that we gave our Mom challenges when we were growing up. I acceded to my co-worker's request and put on my work drag and dragged myself into work on this hot, muggy, Sunday morning.  

The hotel was full, most of the guests checking out this morning.  You all know how that works; pile ups at the front desk, questions about the bill, phone calls, keeping housekeeping informed of who hasn't checked out and who has checked out.  Yes Virginia, working dayshift is quite a bit different than my regular weekday evening shift, especially on a Sunday morning right in the middle of High Season.  Let's just say I got a workout today.  I am exhausted.




Working days like this also messes up my schedule.  I don't have time to eat lunch so I have a late lunch/early dinner when I get home at 3:30 or so.  Then of course I didn't have my daily nap.  I just got up from that (have to have my nap) and now I am wide awake. My whole circadian rhythm is knocked out of whack. Of course I'll get back on track tomorrow but not after a probably fitful, sleepless night tonight.

I would work outside in the backyard this evening but the air is heavy with humidity.  I move around more than five minutes and I'm soaked in my own sweat.  I literally have to peel my T-shirt off before I take a shower.  NOT a pretty sight.  

I love these long summer days where the curtain of night doesn't fall on the far horizon until around 9 o'clock but already I can feel these days of summer shortening.  The Purple Martin house in our backyard is silent now, those iridescent rascals are on their way to their winter quarters in South America.  As it seems every year, their annual visit and cacophony in our back yard was all too short.

Nothing planned this week folks.  Bill and I are settling into being an Old Married Couple.  No doctor's appointments.  No service calls but I do have to post a couple of reviews to Angie's List of two of my experiences this past week; one good and one bad.  Watch out, here comes Ron.

I guess the airwaves will continue to be dominated by the fallout of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial.  What a travesty of justice but I will say no more about it.  I shouldn't be surprised, we have a long way to go in this country before all of us are treated as equals and not certain segments of our diverse society treated as "lesser than."  In my situation the past few weeks have been wonderful because of our marriage and now we are seen as equal in the eyes of the law and accorded the same respect and dignity and legal protections that our straight friends, relatives and co-workers have taken for granted for years.  We're making progress folks but I'm not naive enough to believe (and I'm still pretty naive believe me) that we have a LONG WAY to go.  

I'll see  you all tomorrow when I get my mojo back. Stay cool!



4 comments:

  1. It's dog days here too, but the humidity has snuck in, and combined with 108 degrees it make me actually ill. I worked this day too. No fun in this. I am looking forward to two weeks when I get out of town for cooler climes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither Bill or I can stay outside long when the temperatures are in the 90's and the humidity high. We too get sick. This condition was never a concern when we were younger but in our advanced years, it is now a serious concern. Now that you're past your half century mark of earthly existence you may want to consider the possibility of a heat stroke too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came home to a HOT HOUSE! Of course, that was my own doing - no sense in paying the electric company to cool an unoccupied building! So I am sweating as I type this, while the AC attempts to bring the temp down about 8 degrees! I hate this heat!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      The only time we go out these dog days are quick dashes then right back inside. We can't handle this heat either. I guess we're officially OLD now. Thank God for air conditioning.

      Ron

      Delete