Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Another Video Update!

Hey folks!  Here's another video update.  Don't panic, I'm not going viral in my blog posts.  I thought I would do something a little different this morning and make back to back videos, one at night and one in the daytime.  I might have to rethink this because I look like a tired old man in BOTH videos.  Oh well, as that anonymous philosopher said "It is what it is."  Aren't you glad you got up this morning to get these pearls of wisdom?  I thought so. I should rename my blog "Cliches Are Us." 






So the big news around here is that we're going to lose our beautiful arborvitae tree at the entrance to Casa Tipton-Kelly.  Arborvitea trees and bushes, I just don't have any luck with them.  When we lived in Pennsylvania the deer would come right to the house in daytime and munch away at the arborvitae bushes right below the kitchen window.....I know because I would watch them as I did the dishes!

Bill and I tried to knock the little buggers (bagworms) off our beloved tree but we soon realized this was a losing cause...just too many of them.  So, I made a call to my landscaper Miguel.  He came over about an hour later and gave me a bid on removing the arborvitae, $60.00.  Now I'm trying to rationalize why it is good not to have that arborvitae tree right on the front corner of our house....it was going to get too big anyway.  Yeah, that's it.  

Driving out my neighborhood this morning I noticed that more than a few of my neighbors also have arborvitaes; on nearby neighbor has a whole line of them bordering his property.  And to think I was once going to plant arborvitaes bordering Casa Tipton-Kelly.  Dodged a bullet on that one (another cliche). 

I'm finishing this post; lunch, nap then to work today. I only have to work one day since I worked Sunday.  Good news.  It's so hot and humid around here that all I want to do is keep myself ensconced in this air conditioned house.  

Stay cool!

6 comments:

  1. damn! that's a nice tree, but it's sick.

    we have broken 2 records already this week in philly due to the heat. horrible stuff! thankful that I don't work outside (e.g., road construction or UPS).

    you boys stay inside where it's cool.

    PS - my fedex driver saw your wedding announcement on FB; he offers his congrats and was gobsmacked when I told him I know youse guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    We're sick about losing that tree. Seems like too often when we get something nice the bugs or a local rabbit decides to eat it. The tree come out Saturday courtesy of Miguel.

    How cool is that that your FedEx driver saw our wedding announcement. I love it!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Bill is going to be alright! My parents are 86; I know it is not easy and it takes a lot of courage to get older.
    I am so sorry about your beautiful tree! Your house is so beautiful and so is the landscaping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      We're sick about losing that tree. It fit just right on the corner. I'm hoping removing it doesn't change the look of our house too much. We can't replace it because we're leaving the stump in the ground.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. It's nice to see video clips because it brings your world closer to mine. I'm always amazed to see the lush green landscape where you live. I suppose the intense humidity has some advantages. The arborvitea is a wonderful tree. It's a shame that there's no way to save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Glad you like the videos! We're very sad that we lost our arborvitae tree. It was perfect on that corner of the our house. It was removed yesterday. Now there is a big "hole" in front of our house. This morning we went to the local nursery and asked them how they prevent bagworms They told me they spray insecticide one a year in the spring. I wish I had thought of that. I'm hesitant to spray too much insecticide. The good news is we're going to make lemonade out of a lemon. We're replacing the arborvitae tree with a crepe myrtle tree. A pink one!

      Ron

      Delete