Monday, February 04, 2013

Super Bowl 2013 Observations

Super Bowl 2013

Yesterday, on a whim, I decided to watch just a little bit of the much hyped Super Bowl game.  Actually what I wanted to see was how Beyonce sounded live, without the lip-synched backtrack.

So there I was, preparing my dinner with the TV on in the background and I saw one of the sports announcers interviewing the San Francisco Forty-Niners' quarterback, an odd looking fellow with the equally odd name of Colin Kaepernick.  Who was this?  He has that "Pirate Look" that has always triggered my darkest fantasies.


Colin Kaepernick - gorgeous!

As I was putting the tray of Adouille sausage and potato wedges in the oven for reheating, I heard this fellow Colin laughing and giving relaxed and honest answers to his interviewer.  No, this wasn't your usual zombie-like, monotoned dumb jock answering questions in one syllable, this was a real person.  He had a PERSONALITY. 


Graceful and beautiful as a gazelle

I closed the oven and got my kitchen chair and pulled it up on front of my kitchen TV, I had to see more of this unusual looking guy with the infectious smile.  Ah yes, I remember him now, I saw a story about him in the National Enquirer. His mother had given him up for adoption because he was mixed race (I assume) and she tried to contact him now that he's successful and famous but he didn't want to have anything to do with her. My goodness, was this guy ever attractive!  Move over Ryan and Bradley, I have a new heartthrob, oh my oh my, be still my.....well....um...you know.


The "other" GB - Joe Flacco versus Colin Kaepernick - one has a personality and the other has none.  Guess which one.


I decided to watch the game.  First Super Bowl I've watched in ten years.  Yes indeedy.

I used to be one of those fanatical football fans, the Philadelphia Eagles were my team of choice.  But I was so let down by them in the 2004 Super Bowl, that I just gave up.  Besides, I always thought the whole Super Bowl thing was over hyped.  The games I watched were always boring. Overhyped snorefests. 

Well folks, let me tell you, yesterday's game was anything but boring.  I didn't fall asleep once. Even the commercials, which is why I hate to watch live TV and always DVR whatever TV programs I watch, were interesting.  No, they weren't all good, in fact some of them were downright awful like the one with the beautiful model French kissing that repulsive nerd (God, who thought THAT was funny?)

I think what made this game so interesting for me was the fact that I was rooting for somebody, that "body" being Colin Kaepernick.  It's always more fun to watch a football game when you have an investment.  I just loved watching this guy move around the field. He was so lithe and graceful, like a gazelle.  I loved watching his facial expressions from disappointment when his throw was intercepted to pure joy when he ran into the end zone to score a touchdown and also make the longest run by a quarterback in Super Bowl history for a TD.  I wish I was there to give him a great big hug.....or more.  


I love the "Colin" smile and even that too-hickey on his chin-e-chin-chin-chin
I probably should have titled this posting "My Crush on Colin" but I do have other observations about the Super Bowl, snarky observations.  Now wouldn't you be disappointed if I didn't have my usual snarky comments?  I strive to not disappoint.

So what was the deal with the Baltimore Ravens' and their black Spandex outfits?  Wow.  They looked like a bunch of black widow spiders.


What?  Trying out for the Baltimore Ballet?
So what about Beyonce, the original reason I tuned into the Super Bowl festivities?  Well folks, she was fabulous!  Congrats to Beyonce, your show may have blown out have the SuperDome lights but it was worth it.  You put on a fantastic show.  You are redeemed Beyonce for your lip-synching goof at the President Obama's inauguration.  Beyonce can sing!  Who knew?


The fabulous Beyonce!
Now about some of those commercials, I can't go into them all but I'll pick out a few of them that stuck in my mind for good or bad.  Of course the bad ones tend to stick in my mind more than the good ones.   This Go Daddy commercial was probably the worst.  I had to take a shower after watching this.  What were they thinking? The beautiful model Bar Refaeli (and former girlfriend of Leonardo DiCaprio) swaps spit with a truly repulsive nerd (there are cute nerds, why not use one of them?)  All I could think of after watching this commercial was "What the hell?" Actually I used a different word at the end beginning with an "F" and ending with a "K" but this is a family blog so I had to clean it up a bit.  One thing is fer sure, Leo isn't going to tongue check Bar anytime soon.


Way high on the ick factor
Oh, then there was the Samsung smart phone commercial with those two smart asses Paul Rudd (who I absolutely cannot stand, he reminds me of a bobble head doll) and Seth Rogen.  I think they were trying to be funny with all the inside jokes but they were just annoying, as usual for these two overrated actors (?) These self-satisfied jerks seem to always permeate the entertainment industry.  I never been able to understand who finds them attractive or interesting.  BORING.  


Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd - Go Away

One commercial that I really like was the one with the Doritos eating goat.  The aggressive Doritos eating goat.  No self absorbed actors to get in the way of the commercial, just a funny, entertaining message of how good Doritos are and I should know.  I'm about to have my daily fix in about an hour for lunch. No goats in this house, thankfully.


Oh, how about the commercial the beach bunny chowing down on a hamburger.  I'm gay but I can see the appeal to straight guys.  Sexy commercial guys, sexy.


Ever notice when they have a beautiful women in a commercial they almost always have her putting something in her mouth?  A subliminal message maybe?  Just saying.
But then if one wants to talk sexy, and this 100% gay guy here (that would be me) does, this is who held my attention yesterday, Colin.



21 comments:

  1. I, too, saw the interview with Colin and found him to be charming and humble and, well, quite a doll when he smiles--which he does a lot.

    Beyonce? Meh. She sang some, danced a lot, and flipped her hair around like a madwoman. I was less than impressed.
    Now, Jennifer Hudson's rendition of America The beautiful was fan-freaking-tastic!

    Ps Again, that Colin is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      When I saw Colin's interview, I was sold on this humble and unaffected young man. I saw him in a new light. He wasn't just another dumb jock who talked in grunts. I like him. He's cute too now that I know he has an appealing and attractive personality. That 's what really turns me on to a man. The looks just go so far, I have to have the good personality too.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ad you're right Bob, Colin has a knockout smile. So genuine..

      Delete
  2. You know you are alive when you gets the hots for on screen characters. As a straight guy I can see the appeal of Colin. My girls think I'm weird wihen I comment on handsome men. Hate commercial T.v because of the ads. Thanks for your lovely comment on my music. It sure is a big part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I too hate commercial TV because of the ads. I can only watch those show if I DVR them and fast forward through the commercials.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, I think someone needs to take a cold shower. :-) OK. I'll be serious now.

    I was catching up on some stuff for work, and missed the first half of the game, the halftime show, and the power outage. I brought the laptop downstairs and finished working while I was watching the second half. What I saw of it actually turned into a decent game.

    I watched a clip of Alicia Keys' national anthem rendition. I thought she did a nice job with it, without too much embellishment. I loved some of the chord progressions she was doing on the piano.

    I watched a clip of the halftime show later. I like the neat effect with the video screens where there were 20 Beyonces at once. That was pretty clever. Yes, she redeemed herself in that performance.

    I really liked the commercial with the Clydesdale. That was a sweet commercial. I also liked the Dodge truck commercial about farmers. I couldn't place the voice until one of my friends on FB mentioned Paul Harvey. Then the light came on. I'm sure I could work in a comment about genetically modified crops in there, but there are people who can do that kind of thing better and funnier than I can.

    My 14-year-old son (a.k.a. Safety Guy) said to me, "Dad, wouldn't it be cool if Daft Punk did the halftime show?" I told him that that actually would be really cool. (Look 'em up if you don't know who they are. They're great!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin played for the Reno Wolf Pack. There were plenty of fans here rooting for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      I LIKE this young man. Refreshing to see someone in his position so humble and open. Makes him all the cuter to me.

      I wish him well. I was rooting for him to pull the game out in the last seconds. I felt bad for him when he didn't.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Sean,

    I don't have to be hosed down but I do enjoy watching a handsome man with an appealing and humble personality. Colin fits that description.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't watch the game but liked the commercials (seen this morning).
    But "Downton Abbey". Finally Bates is getting out. I just LOVE this breath of fresh air old fashion soap opera.
    COLIN IS HOT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nader,

      Yes, Colin is HOT! I can see him in the movies. He has a very unusual, sensual look plus he has a great personality. Strong yet humble, which I always find attractive in a man and many movie goers do too. His eyes are piercing and his smile is infectious. He has both boyish and manly qualities. Very attractive. I hope to see more of him.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. I could write a novel like yours on last night's Stupor Bowl, but it wasn't boring, that's for sure. I loved the Clydesdale commercial. Hated the GoDaddy ad. I also liked the goat. But I quit eating Doritos, tooooo fattening. Personally I like Flakko better, and those Raven's uniforms were COOOOL!

    HAHAHAHAHAA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      I stopped watching the Super Bowl years ago because it was boring but that wasn't the case yesterday. Like you I found the Go Daddy commercial disgusting. They went too far. I bet Colin would look good in one of those Raven's uniforms. He is sexy for sure.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Me, too! Pro sports bore me in general. But my BFF invited me over to watch it, and she and her daughter and her daughter's BFF (who is also gay) are so much fun to be with, so I went. We talked about everything BUT the game while we watched it, commented once in a while on plays, and argued about tactics occasionally, and in general, it was a social event, rather than a sporting event.
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,

      It was an "event", that's for sure. I was really surprised that I got into the game too. Been a long time since I actually followed the game. I got bored years ago because of all the commercial time outs. The Super Bowl was different because most of the commercials were interesting too. I could see getting together with friends to watch. I watched it by myself.


      Ron

      Delete
  8. Randy in NEB.1:33 AM

    Ron, I wasn't expecting to watch the super bowl either. As always, enjoy your insightful opinions. I have to agree with you on several points some of the commercials were very lame. The Go Daddy was one of the worst, it's like something that belongs on "Skinemax"(Cinemax). The Coke commercial was cute, I liked how the Priscilla Queen of the Desert bus glitter bombed the cowboy. Now to the Meat,cough.. cough, of my comment.I have to agree your guy Colin K. totally hot! I first notice him during the National Anthem. But the one turn off I had was why ruin that mocha skin with all those tatts. The hottie that got my primal juices flowing was number 5 Joe Flacco, sorry don't hate me for that. I've seen a pictures of him with a horseshoe 'stache and thought be still my throbing ahhh... won't go there either. What can I say I'm a sucker for a tall hottie sporting a moustache or goatee. Oh yeah was thinking the same thing, what was up with Baltimore's team uniforms? Maybe they where all going bicycle riding after the game. As always Ron enjoy your blog! Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I forgot about the "Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert" bus full of Las Vegas showgirls glittering the cowboys. I liked it but it would have been way funnier if the bus was full of drag queens but I guess the Coke people thought that might be going a little too far with the predominantly straight Super Bowl audience. And I absolutely agree with you that Colin K. is totally hot. However, his tattoos don't do anything for me. In fact, I don't think anyone, especially hot, good-looking men need tattoos to enhance their appeal. I also don't care for his little goatee but I'm willing to overlook all of that. What I really like about Colin is is unusual, Arab type look, tall and lithe figure and especially his open and warm personality. Now to Joe Flacco, my good friend Larry's daughters find him hot as I'm sure many others do. I don't see it, sorry. To me he's just another, verbally challenged, personality minus jock. I don't even think he's physically attractive. But that's okay if others do, different tastes for different folks and I understand that.

      Thanks for your comments. Always welcome!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Randy in NEB.2:01 AM

      Ron, One other point, what you said about Joe Flacco being a verbally challenged jock. I saw on MSN sports, that Joe after the game ON live TV had dropped the F bomb. Now I can't say I've hadn't done that a time or two myself, but he should have known he was on TV with the cameras all around him. Either Joe lacks poor judgement or is a low or no class jock. Randy.

      Delete
    3. Randy,

      I guess Joe Flacco is an alright person and all that. I don't know him. But my first impression of him and his scowling face at the Super Bowl wasn't good. I don't get all the adulation. I never got it with Tom Brady either. I like my men to smile and actually to have a personality, preferably humble which is what I detected with Colin Kaepernick.


      Ron

      Delete
  9. I couldn't get by the National Anthem; oh the pain! I think I took a nap afterwards. I did watch Beyonce and her minions for a little while but this too didn't keep my interest. I am a party pooper. But I dodged all the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Alicia Keye's version of the national anthem was painful wasn't it? I thought it was just me. God lady, just sing it the way it was meant to be sang. Talk about torture. You didn't get off on watching Beyonce swinging her hair extensions with the fire and smoke? My God man, what is the matter with you? Are you GAY?

      Ron

      Delete