Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spotacular

The "Spotacular", "Spo-ma-geddon", "Spo-a-thon" or "Spo-rama-lama-ding dong"; however you identify meeting Dr. Spo in Lewes, Delaware is fast approaching.


Scott and Matt

For those of you not familiar with this grand event, Dr. Spo of "Spo-reflections" blog fame has generously agreed to meet his East Coast blog friends in Lewes, Delaware on the weekend of March 22nd and 23rd.  Dr. Spo and his wife, husband, lover, better half partner, "Someone", will be staying at the hotel where I work in Lewes.  


The Inn at Canal Square Hotel, Lewes, DE

We have a fabulous weekend planned for Dr. Spo and Someone in our fantastically liberal state of Delaware.  Dr. Spo is coming from the state (Arizona) where the governor greets our president on the airport tarmac waving her finger at him and has a sheriff who dresses his prisoners in pink.  Yes friends, Dr. Spo and Someone come from that never never land where if you have brown skin it's "show me your papers" time.  We all have to show Dr. Spo and Someone what it like to live in a blue state.  No one will ask to see your papers here Dr. Spo.


No pink boxers for Delaware immigrants - we give them jobs

As of now ten Spo fans have reserved five rooms at the hotel, including the fabulous Captain's Quarters luxury suite right on the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal.  The Captain's Quarters will be the gathering location for the Spo fans staying at the hotel and local visiting Spo fans.  


Me at the elevator at the Inn attending to a guest need

On Saturday, March 23rd, there will be a catered Meet and Greet cocktail party  from 6 pm to 8 pm at the Waterview Room on the canal.  The Waterview Room is on the ground level from the Captain's Quarters.  The fabulous Nage Restaurant of Rehoboth Beach is catering.  Cost is $25.00 per person (payable to me on that day).    


Breakfast at the Inn

There will also be an open bar.  No cost.  Dr. Spo and I are also covering the cost of renting the Waterview Room.  



So far we have about a dozen bloggers staying at the hotel (some with their spouses). About another half dozen live in the area and will be attending the meet and greet but not at the hotel.  





For more information on who is attending the East Coast Bloggers Convention (as Dr. Spo would prefer to call our gathering, he feels all this attention on him is akin to "meet the Queen Mother"...hey, I didn't say it, Dr. Spo did), check with Cubby of Patently Queer


Lobby at the Inn

I promise we will all have a gay old time at the Spotacular Weekend in Lewes, Delaware.  Everyone will go home with a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust, guaranteed!


Dr. Spo (himself) 






26 comments:

  1. It sounds like it will be a great gathering! Mark will be the photographer I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Yes, Mark will be taking pictures. I will too.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait for the spo-a-rama-lama-ding-dong! what about music for dancing after the dinner saturday night? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I don't have any music planned. Have something in mind?

      Ron

      Delete
    2. I don't know what a/v equipment your inn has. 60s motown to today would do, disco and 80s-90s dance. satellite radio perhaps? sorry I am not a technogeek.

      Delete
  3. So will I!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Lot of picture taking going on I'm sure.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Spopocalypse Now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cubby,

    Think we should drag Dr. Spo and Someone in on a sphinx?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't THAT be FABULOUS!?! appropriate for and worthy of the "queen mum"!

      PS - remember my spouse is also a blogger: arteejee.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Dr. Spo is trying to downplay his "entrance." We'll see that he gets the proper attention.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. The Inn looks so cozy, quaint, and inviting. I'm ready to dig into that breakfast bar. I have no doubt that your sojourn with Dr. Spo (and Someone)and the other bloggers will be memorable.

    Hey, I'm thinking about adding that snazzy prison garb to my wardrobe. It would really make a fashion statement here in Texas. We can take bets to see how soon I'd be shot when I walked out the door.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      The Inn is cozy, quaint and inviting. And all the "liberal" stuff I was talking about was tongue in cheek. Of course our small colony of gays and lesbians are mostly liberal, except for those older gay guys who collect their fat government pension checks (and there are plenty of them here in the Rehoboth Beach area), us regular folk vote progressive but the rest of Sussex County is probably more redneck and reactionary than where you live. Still a lot of haters down here in Gayberry. They never go away.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Did I see the phrase "open bar"?!? You have my attention now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sean, tis an open bar. The booze will flow freely. Bill will have to be the designated driver.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Will he be coming to this too?

      Delete
    3. Sean,
      No, Bill doesn't do public events. He may meet Dr Spo and Someone privately though.

      Ron

      Delete
    4. The Mrs. and I are thinking about it. We'll be in touch!

      Delete
    5. Sean,

      We have two other straight married couples attending the Spo-tacular. I do hope you and Laurel are able to come. We still have rooms. Anne Marie and her husband are coming as well as Java. This isn't an exclusively gay get together, just blogger and friends. All are welcome!

      Ron

      Delete
  8. Randy in NEB.5:24 AM

    Ron, I think Jon is right your inn does look very cozy and quaint. I wish I could be there just as an observer, since I don't have a blog. Your little get-to-gether sounds like it might be a real hoot! Also you mentioned the locals, on election night CNN showed Delaware as blue except Sussex county. Though it was very close, it takes all kinds I guess? One other thing,the picture of you at the elevator, is giving me fantisies of the naughty front desk clerk checking to see if the young male guest needs his bed turned down. Anything like that happen lately? As always enjoy your insights and photos. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      No naughty activity from the front desk, although at times the opportunity. The stories I could tell (but I won't because some of my co-workers at the hotel read this blog.)

      Oh yes, Sussex County is red.......neck country for sure. We have a sliver of progressiveness here on the shore line where most of the gays and lesbians have retired but the gun-totin, God fearing, locals still hold sway. Sussex County Delaware is not a whole lot different than most counties in the Deep South. It's not that unusual to see the rebel Confederate flag still flying down in these parts.

      Thanks again for your generous comments. Always appreciated.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      Don't forget the date; Saturday March 23rd from 6 to 8 pm at the Waterview Room at the hotel. If you don't know where it is, just stop at the front desk and Robert will show you. Bring your camera!

      Ron

      Delete
  10. Oh my, how you do go on. I am surprised that Spo hasn't decided to cancel. This isn't about him, but about the community he has nourished in this area. We've found common ground and one another by reading and commenting on his posts. Frankly, sometimes I am embarrassed by all the hoopla. I am excited and look forward to meeting him as well as all the other bloggers (and friends) who will be attending.

    BTW, we all appreciate that you have pulled this together and, since you do these things so well, look forward to "a good time being had by all."

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Dr Spo said just about the same thing as you said, he said it's not about him but an East Coast Bloggers get together. He said I'm making it sound like the Queen Mother is making an appearance. Of course you know me, I'll stoke this up. :)

      Actually you're the one who has made this possible because we're it not for you finding Dr Spo's blog, I would never have known about him.

      Looking forward to seeing you and thank you!


      Ron

      Delete