Monday, February 11, 2013

Snow Geese Morning



Just got back from my VA doctor on this rainy Monday morning.  It was a good visit.  I went over my prostate situation with my VA doctor.  He confirmed what I had already come to the conclusion, that even if I did have prostate cancer (which I will find out this Friday when I see my urologist doctor), it might not be necessary to undergo any of the radical treatments that so often leave the patient worse off than before the cancer was detected.  He advised a "watch and wait."  We will see how I feel about this when I receive the news this Friday about my prostate biopsy.  


Georgetown, DE VA Outpatient Clinic

The reason I keep seeing my VA doctor is that he is coming from a different perspective.  He's not in this to make money by getting in as many patients as possible and running (sometimes) unnecessary tests (for liability reasons).  My VA doctor is there for my well being without any other ulterior motives or pressures, not that my other doctors are "bad guys", which they aren't.  But it always pays to have an objective opinion and that is what I got today.

On the way back from the Georgetown VA Outpatient facility this rain drenched morning (so glad it's not snow), we passed a field covered with Canadian snow geese. From a distance they look like snow in the field. 

The snow geese migrate down here to eastern coastal plains of southern Delaware to spend the winter.  The farmers complain that they eat the roots of their plantings but I love seeing them.  

By the time we got home, I noticed that the field next to our acre lot was also covered with the snow white geese.  I snuck up on them and took this video.  I was afraid they would all fly away but they didn't.  Aren't they beautiful?  

I do love living here in southern Delaware!

Snow geese in my backyard this morning (near actually)

10 comments:

  1. Geese are beautiful! I live near a golf course and some geese decided to stay here all year round. The are gray and brown with black necks and heads. There is nothing I like more than nature.
    (I like your VA's doctor attitude and perspective).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I know you love nature Nadege! I see all those beautiful photos you post on your Facebook account.

      Have a great day!

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron: I can't see the video clip. It won't load at work. Drat those pesky network firewalls! It took me a second to pick out the geese in the photo. :-)

    I'm glad that you have a physician that you're comfortable with. I know that you'll keep us informed.

    I hope you have a great rest of the day! Me, I'm feeling a little uneasy after my one-two punch of blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      You should see what I can't get at work on the Internet. Hardly anything there are so many firewalls. I have to take my iPad to get anything worthwhile. About the only think I can get is Wikipedia and I figure it's just a matter of time before my boss blocks that out too.

      I haven't read your "one-two punch" blog entries yet.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    How come you video is behind your gadgets? This blocks the full view.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You like that Lar? It's like the titles on magazine covers where the title partially obscures the images.

      Cool huh?

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Very glad you are having a good experience with your VA medical center, and I hope the news is good on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Geezers,

      I always have a good experience with the VA medical center. And I do have a good feeling about the news this Friday. Still, I will be glad when I know for sure.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I love nature, but Canada geese are a real problem in central Virginia. They ruin boat docks, beaches, cemeteries, yards, and golf courses. Anywhere there is a pond or lake, you find them. Their feces is acidic and truly nasty. And they pump out up to a pound of it a day per goose. Not to mention they have a nasty attitude, too, and will charge people if they decide they don't like you for just about any or no reason it seems. People do just about anything to move them along. They hire dogs, use pyrotechniques, scarecrows, just about anything to get rid of them. Perhaps in places like the tidal flats and fields where you saw them they're fine. But not too close to my house, please!

    Oh, and your VA doctor's advice is the same I got from my doctor. My reading on the subject (after an elevated PSA test) showed me the same thing. Of course, surgical techniques today are far less devastating than even ten years ago, but it does seem the general attitude is wait and see.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      When I lived in Downingtown, PA the Canada geese were also a "problem". They killed them all as they did the dozen or so geese in nearby Milton, DE where I now live. Of course we have a "people" problem down here (especially during the summer) but I don't hear of any "final solutions" for them. Just saying.

      Ron

      Delete