Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless, Emperor of the planet Mongo

You say you don't know who "Ming the Merciless" is?  Then you are showing your age.  You're showing how young you are.  

"Ming the Merciless" was the ruler of the planet Mongo.  You say you never heard of Mongo?  Where have you been?

Seriously folks, Ming the Merciless is a fictional character who first appeared in the Flash Gordon comic strip (ah ha!) in 1934.  Played by the actor Charles B. Middleton, he then appeared in the Flash Gordon serials of the late 1930's era.  No folks, I'm not THAT old but I do remember seeing those 30's era serials on my 12 inch (don't go there) black and white Philco TV in the Fifties when I was just a young whipper snapper with my adolescent hormones beginning to kick in. Lock and load as they say.


Flash restrained - check out those nifty shorts and Ming's look - works for me.

Oh my, was I ever transfixed by Flash Gordon, played by Buster Crabbe.  Funny thing, I look at the serial now on You Tube and see how fake it is.  In fact, it is so bad it is good.  Real good!  This morning talking to my friend Lar on FaceTime we were both watching the first serial and getting a real hoot out of it.  But oh how different it was when I was just an 11 year old back in the Fifties, wondering why my body was having this strange reaction to seeing Flash Gordon in THOSE shorts.  And what really puzzled me was (for lack of a better word) bondage cum S & M undercurrent between Ming the Merciless and the (sometimes) tied up Flash Gordon.  Every time one of those scenes came about I noticed a strange reaction in my nether regions that I had never experienced before.  A good strange reaction.


Me and my cat "Bobby" and the old black and white Philco TV where I used to get turned on to Flash Gordon - I think "Bobby" knew but no one else knew my "secret."

My straight friend Lar said he used to have the same reaction when he saw pictures of  pirate ladies. I too had that reaction to pirates but I got that reaction when one of the deck hands was tied up and given a few lashes for disobedience.  Oh my, what WAS that feeling Ron?



My friend Lar can have his pirate ladies anytime.  For me, I'll take Flash and his big....um gun.  Lock and load.  





14 comments:

  1. I loved the kid on Flipper - literally. Super heroes never did much for me, not in my age group, I guess. But a kid near my age on TV - I was glued to the TV set.

    Cool post! Brought back memories...of trying to hide certain physical reactions when the boys I lusted after appeared on the show. In the living room, no less, since that is where the TV lived.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      So I wasn't the only one! Guy Madison in "Wild Bill Hickok" used to make me weak in the knees. I just couldn't get enough of him. He was my ultimate Dream Man. Uh huh.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. You are so funny! I admire the facts that you can write whatever comes to your mind (with photos). It is wonderful and a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Thank you for the compliment! I love to write and enjoy my writing as much as some others. I'm glad you enjoy it too.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. PS : That sunset in your new banner is just unbelievable! I love the colors and boy do you look cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Sometimes we get the pink sunrise here in Covington Chase (the development I live in). It only lasts for about five minutes but it is beautiful. And yes, I was COLD!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ming used to work at the State Hospital were I worked back in the early 90s. True story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Now that is funny! I would have a hard time keeping a straight face whenever I addressed him.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Randy in NEB.3:38 PM

    Ron, I know what you mean! I too had the same feelings. My Flash Gordon fav was the 80's movie with Sam Jones, WOW! But by then my equipment was already developed, in 1980 I was 21. Great memories. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I now know why I liked Ming the Merciless so much, it was camp before I even knew what camp meant. This was first vague stirrings of my gay persona.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. (Dry humor warning) What is this "bondage / S&M undercurrent" you speak of? You're not reading into this too much are you? This sounds like a job for Dr. Spo to help you sort out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      Yes, dry humor. "Bondage/S&M undercurrent?" Not a "problem" in my world Sean (Fantasyland).

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Okay so now I am showing my age. I remember Flash but not the first one. I remember the one from the movie that "Queen" did the music for and Freddie Mercury. Now there was some undercurrent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jeff, you ARE showing your age. You're just too young! :)

      The original Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe and Charles Middleton with all the campy sets was the creme de la creme of Flash Gordon. You don't know what you missed.....son.

      Ron

      Delete