Friday, January 11, 2013

Gunfight at the OK Corral


Okay folks, are we actually seriously considering arming our school teachers?  Really?

Just this morning I was talking to my good friend Bill B. and former classmate about what he thought of his wife, who is a former school teacher, being armed in her classroom.  Now my friend Bill B. is very conservative. He actually voted for Mitt Romney but even he sees the ridiculousness of arming our school teachers.  

Below is a photo of our third grade class taken in 1951 when Bill and I were both ten years old.  Miss Ezrah was our teacher.  



My friend Bill B. is the fourth boy in the stripped pull over from the right in the first row.  I am in the third row on the right picking my nose (not really).  I just cannot imagine Miss Elizabeth Ezrah, our gentle third grade teacher, packing a Glock.  Where would she put it, in her desk drawer?  In a pocket in her dress?



I watched Ed Schultz on "The Ed Show" last night interview a woman school teacher in Utah who was bragging that she can now carry a concealed weapon in her classroom.  Are you kidding me? Are we even having a SERIOUS conversation about school teachers carrying concealed weapons in their classrooms?

Let's take this a step further.  Say a mad gunman busts into her classroom with an assault weapon and starts unloading his 30 bullet clip.  What is this teacher going to do?  Run for her desk drawer for her Glock and have a shootout with the mad gunman while her students duck for cover?  Are we really having this conversation?  

Look folks, here is the obvious and ONLY answer.  Ban assault weapons.  Simple as that.  No one needs an assault weapon to shoot a deer.  Assault weapons are made to kill people.  



Oh I know the "slippery slope" argument.  Ban assault weapons and then what's next?  Take my gun?  Well actually why not?  But that's not likely to ever happen in this country as long as we're a country of hunters and Second Amendment diehards.  

There are so many reasons I am glad I am not a young person today.  This is just one of them.  I literally cannot imagine going to Miss Ezrah's class and wondering if she was packing heat.  

After all, when I went to school in the Fifties all we had to worry about was the atom bomb.  We could handle that, if the Bomb was dropped, we could hide under our desk.





13 comments:

  1. this whole discussion sux since so many members of congress are in bed with the NRA.

    nothing will happen. and the killings will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Something has to happen. This cannot continue.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. The 2nd Amendment has been so warped out of context that even a lot of left-wingers like us don't know its true history and interpretation by the Founding Fathers. If the total gun nuts (and I must admit, in the intent of full disclosure that I enjoy sport shooting, and do in fact, have a concealed carry permit) would watch this piece and embrace it, maybe we could have a serious conversation about gun control, because yes, we HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! (And decent mental health care in this country is another thing we need to bring to the table).

    http://youtu.be/MScVt21VyCQ

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      The second amendment was meant for 18th century colonial settlers sporting one shot at a time muskets, not 50 clip assault rifles. Personally I don't like hunting but I won't advocate taking that right away from hunters but this nonsense that every citizen should have a gun for "protection" is ridiculous and never works. More people are killed by accident and by someone they know just because a gun was available. We have to stop this insanity. We're the only country on earth who has this many guns available to its citizens.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Judging by those photos, Ron, you belong here in the heart of Texas. I have a homestead for sale, in case you're interested.....

    I absolutely couldn't imagine any of my teachers toting firearms. The very thought of it is beyond absurd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      For some reason I "play" cowboy" real well. I don't like guns, never have. But I do look at home with one don't I?

      I can't imagine any of my teachers toting a firearm either. It is ridiculous.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I believe the gunfight at the OK Corral was an early experiment in adult education and its results are still under discussion. It was never intended for use at the K thru 12 level, even in Tombstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,

      That we are even having this discussion about guns in school is beyond absurdity. It will never work and only result in more tragedy.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. A few panic buttons here and there in schools might make people feel safer? It is very sad that we have a discussion about arming teachers.
    Personally, I think this is beyond guns. Yes, people with guns kill others but if the economy was better, workers making a decent salary with benefits, less depressed and bored kids... could help.
    I do realize that life has never been easy but even compared to the 30's, we are all better off, so what is the problem? Is it junk food, pollution, video games, the environment, social media...? We better get to the root of the problem otherwise it will get worse and worse and God knows we do not want that to open. The last kid had mental problems, the shooter in Aurora had mental problems. Maybe Dr Spo could enlight us on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Crazy people loose is definitely a problem. I'm no fan of violent video games or movies but I don't that that is significant. However, assault weapons are definitely a problem in the hands of the general public. They should be outlawed just like machine guns. Absolutely no reason for them to be available to the general public except for killing people. What's next, bazookas? Rocket grenades?

      Ron

      Delete
  6. I thank God we have no guns here in the UK. Leastwise, none of the general public. Never mind arming the teachers, banning students from carrying arms is the best way forward but I guess that would take some doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie,

      My father had several hunting rifles that he used to hunt deer and small game. He kept the rifles locked in a gun cabinet. Neither I nor my two brothers were ever interested in his guns. When he died my Mother said "Now they're yours." We weren't interested. My brother Isaac who inherited the family home gave the guns away to a neighbor. Thank God we don't care about guns. I wish more people felt that way.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. The 2nd change had been intended for 1700s compound settlers showing off round at the same time muskets, not necessarily fifty show strike guns. Individually I can't such as searching however I will not suggest by taking your straight away coming from searcher however this kind of absurdity that each resident must have any firearm with regard to "defense" is actually preposterous rather than functions. More and more people are usually wiped out unintentionally through somebody they are fully aware must be weapon has been accessible. We need to quit this kind of madness. We are the only real region in the world that has this kind of several weapons offered to the residents.

    hvac training Delaware

    ReplyDelete