Friday, January 18, 2013

Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Cream

Chicken Breasts With Cream

Time for a "recipe" posts folks!  This is one of my all-time favorite recipes.

I'm not a "fish" guy.  I don't like lobster.  I don't eat steak.  And I definitely don't eat baby animals like veal and lamb.  In fact I've never tasted lamb in my life.  After I grew up and left home, and tasted veal for the first time (which I didn't care for by the way), I asked my Mother why we never at lamb or veal.  She said that my father worked in a slaughter house when he was a teenager and, after he saw baby animals slaughtered, he lost his taste forever to "baby animals.  That's just a little tidbit of unsolicited information for you folks to demonstrate why some people (me) have out of the mainstream tastes in eating animals who have eyes.

Why don't I like seafood?  I don't like the "fishy" taste.  When I see seafood I think of what is left on the beach after the tide goes out.  Ugh.  



Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Cream

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
2 whole chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 small garlic clove, finely minced
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
White pepper to taste
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream

1. In a electric frying pan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter.  Add the chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.  Remove to a dish and set aside.

2. Reduce the heat to medium and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan.  Add the shallots and garlic; cook until tender but not browned. Add the mushrooms, lemon juice, and white pepper. Continue cooking until the mushroom liquid has almost completely evaporated.

3. Ad the wine and chicken stock and continue cooking until the liquid has almost evaporated. Reduce the heat to medium0low, stir in the cream, and ooh, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.

4. Return the chicken breasts to the sauce to heat through, Place on a serving platter and spoon on the mushroom cream sauce. 




14 comments:

  1. Great.
    Now I'm hungry for dinner and it's only 10:30 AM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiche Lorraine for dinner tonight Bob, two pieces.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I don't eat steak or veal or lamb either. I have never tried lamb.

    but I DO like chicken and fish and pork. when I go to a restaurant, I always consider the fish and chicken selections, never the beef.

    methinks I need to make some quiche this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quiche tonight. Made it last night. I get on these "quiche kicks" then I don't have quiche for months. I also like pork but lately it has been giving me indigestion. Fish is all right if it isn't fishy but I don't seek it out like real fish lovers do. I like hummus too. Hummus and feta cheese on one of those Mexican tortilla rolls with Dorito Blazing chips. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Recipe sounds good. I loves me some mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I love mushrooms too! A friend of mine can't stand them. He says they're "too slippery." I can't stand oysters, "too slippery." Funny thing, he loves oysters. I think why I like mushrooms is because of their subtle, musky flavor. It just hits me right. Ever have them fried? My father used to do that. Delicious!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Already printed to go downstairs for the shopping list and STOVE!
    Thanks, looks sooooo yummy.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is on of my favorite dishes Jay. I hope you like it as much as I do.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I never thought to serve chicken breasts with rice. I used only to eat white meat but medics recommended that I ate more red.... I'm definitely not doing the right thing by the animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie,

      I often have different chicken dishes with rice. In fact I have a wonderful chicken casserole with rice. I'll have to post that in a future blog.

      I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not doing right by animals either. I love veggies but I do need some protein. I used to have pet chickens too.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Comfort food! That looks really delicious Ron! A good quiche and a crisp salad can be very satisfying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Yes, a good quiche and a crisp salad is very satisfying. Tonight I am making cabbage and sausage with potatoes and carrots, also very comforting.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Hmmmm...butter, cream, garlic, shallots, mushrooms...

    I bet you could cook just about anything with this - from tofu to old tennis shoes - and it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will,

      I haven't tried this with old tennis shoes but you're probably right, it would be good. Too many good ingredients in this recipe

      Ron

      Delete