Friday, January 04, 2013

Arising From The Dead

A "Toon" picture I took of myself at work during the height of my COLD
Not a pretty picture


How do you like that for a catchy title?  Got your attention, right?

Folks that's how I feel now; like I've arisen from the dead.  Regular followers of this blog (and you know who you are) know that I've been absent from the blogosphere for a couple of days. About three days to be precise which is very unusual for me.  

So where have I been?  Mostly sleeping, trying to shake this Zombie Cold.  Wednesday I slept all day.  Thursday I slept all day.  Today, I arose from the dead.  

This cold came on just as I was about to begin an "enhanced" work schedule at the hotel last weekend into New Year's.  In past years when I've felt a cold coming on, I've been lucky that the worst of the cold occurred during my time off.  I wasn't so lucky this time.  The full brunt of this cold hit me Sunday night.  I literally lost my voice.  Not a good thing when one works at the front desk of a hotel.  The most I could get out was a squeak.  Plus, I felt LOUSY.  Not so much with the runny nose and coughing, but just TIRED and ACHY all over.  

I struggled through Monday, New Year's Eve.  I could talk but I sounded like Lurch of the Adams Family.  Anyone who knows me knows that I have a delightful, boyish tone to my voice.  THAT voice was nowhere to be found New Year's Eve.




New Year's day I continued to slog through the day with my Lurch Voice.  One caller really gave me a workout asking me to describe every room in the hotel then once I did that she wanted to do it all over again.  Hey, I like talking but this was painful.  I had to decline.  She said she would call in the morning.

Wednesday I got relief.  I got up for a breakfast of Walmart Multigrain cereal (taste like dust but has a load of vitamins) and a banana.  Then back to BED THE WHOLE DAY.

I got up for lunch with was just chicken soup then back to bed.  Popcorn and Canada Dry Ginger Ale for dinner (don't ask, this works for me).  

I repeated this procedure on Thursday.  Now phlegm that was coating my vocal cords was beginning to break up.  I was coughing up the Hulk (same color green).  TMI?  Just telling it like it is.  

What I was coughing up

This morning when I woke up I actually felt half way human again and I had my voice back, albeit with a lesbian like hoarseness.  Actually, I think I sort of sounded sexy.  

I'm still feeling blah, not my usual ornery self.  I've lost about five pounds.  What a way to lose weight.  I wouldn't recommend it.  

I figure by the time I go back to work on Sunday I'll be back to the Old Ron and have my youthful, Philly Twang voice back.  

My annual cold has come and gone.  


Soon to return!

16 comments:

  1. egad! hope bill doesn't catch the cold from hell! we'll be here when you return!

    PS - I got vacation time approved for 3/5 and 3/22!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me getting a cold first is very unusual Anne Marie. Usually Bill gets the colds in this house. So far he's doing fine. I hope to hell he doesn't catch this cold because it was a bear.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you're getting rest and on the road to recovery. There are times when a resurrection is even better than an erection.....

    Okay it was completely tacky and crass, but I coudn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      You surprise me. Well, maybe not. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Yeah, I was beginning to wonder. Almost bought a sympathy card for Bill.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very sick Lar, very sick working during the time I was so sick didn't help either. I'm getting back to. Ormal, slowly.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Ron,

    So glad you are back amoung the living and feeling better! I was getting worried about you! Hoping your good as new before you have to go back to work.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,

      It seems once a year I get one of these "near death" colds. When I was younger I rarely got colds. Now every year I get several, including one like this which really knocks me out. I'm recovering slowly. The only thing that seems to work for me is plenty of bed (sleep) rest.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. These things can't be rushed but they can be endured by the patient, brave and strong. You demonstrated all three virtues better than I did with this bug. My compliments and admiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George! My way of dealing with a sickness is to "just get through it". This one required plenty of bed rest which I got and will get. Ore in a few minutes.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Yea! You're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back Sean!

      Delete
  7. Glad you're feeling better.
    I've been telling my cold to bugger off all week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Bob. Isn't this cold something? They seem to get worse every year.

      Delete
  8. Glad you're on the mend :)
    Happy New Year!
    Hope 2013 is a good one for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete