Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Walk On The Boardwalk

Sourdough Panera bread from my freezer

A couple of years ago when I got my new car, I used to take the ten mile ride down Rt. 1 to Rehoboth Beach almost every day.  I would go early in the morning to avoid the traffic and bicyclists.  I liked to take my daily walk on the boardwalk and soak up some of that fresh salt air from the Atlantic Ocean.

Last year I got out of that habit and missed it.  I also put on a few pounds.  In fact, this summer I only took the ten miles trip to Rehoboth to have my annual Old Time Photo taken and that was during the day in the height of the tourist season (parking atrocious) and summer heat.


Me at Rehoboth Beach this morning before sunrise

This morning I got up at 5 am (went to bed early last night in preparation) so I could get to the boardwalk before the sun came up.  I don't like driving down Rt. 1 early in the morning after the sun comes up because it is right in my face.  The sun rises in the East on the Atlantic Ocean and Rt. 1 goes directly into Rehoboth.  The sun glare is almost blinding.  I also like to go early in the morning because there is hardly any traffic and I can sometimes make a straight shot into Rehoboth without hitting one traffic light.  That's what happened this morning, a straight shot into Rehoboth.

With the temperatures hovering around 37 degrees and the wind whipping around 15 mph, one might ask "Ron, why are you going into Rehoboth on a cold and windy January day?"  Good question!  Actually, I had a freezer load of Panera bread (from all that soup I got the past two months) that I wanted to unload and feed to the seagulls.  


Sea gull ready stale Panera sourdough bread

I got to the boardwalk Rehoboth and as expected, only me and a few lonely brave souls were foolish adventurous enough to be out this early in the morning in the cold and wind.  

The seagulls were ready for me.  Who told them?


Seagulls ready for breakfast this morning at Rehoboth Beach
After I fed the seagulls (they were most appreciative, I could tell by their incessant, ear piercing screeches), I walked back to the boardwalk and took my walk. 


Just me and a few hardy souls on the Rehoboth Boardwalk this morning

Ah yes, the brisk salt air.  The COLD salt air.  No matter, my walk was very invigorating.  Methinks I'll do this again next week.



10 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun, and it's very scenic!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      The boardwalk in Rehoboth is very scenic and I love feeding the seagulls although I think the officials in Rehoboth discourage the feeding of the birds. That's another reason I go down early. I would go to the boardwalk more often in the daytime but the traffic on Route 1 is too much for this oldster.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. DOLLE'S salt water taffy! the best time at the beach is in winter; no tourists, no brats, no nothing. just the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I love the boardwalk when there are VERY FEW PEOPLE around. LOVE IT!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. That looks peaceful. I'd love to be out walking, but the wind is insane up here in Central NY right now.

    There's something interesting about places like that before they're open for business and full of people. One of my earliest memories is being with my parents in our local mall early in the morning before most things had opened up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      It is very peaceful. That's what I like about going early in the morning. It is a special time of day. Especially the traffic, it's a straight shot down and back which I love.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to begin a day! It looks so relaxing and invigorating. And those seagull were lucky to get panera bread!
    I'm ashamed to admit that I slept in today, until nearly 10:00. Then I jumped up, ran outside, and fed the twelve stray cats. I'll do my weekly housecleaning and laundry this afternoon. My existence has become so mundane that it's pathetic......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Yes, those seagulls were VERY happy to get that Panera bread. In fact, when I came back from my walk on the boardwalk, there were patiently waiting for more!

      Don't feel bad about getting up at 10 am. When I came back home I read a little bit then I went to bed again. Didn't get up until 10:30 am. After lunch I went back to bed again for my afternoon nap. I get a LOT of sleep which I love.

      Thank you for taking care of those cats. They appreciate igt.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I have always loved gulls, which I still see as glorious birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I love seagulls too. People make fun of me because I do but I do. I've always liked them since the first time I saw them on Sandy Hook in Provincetown, Mass in 1974. The sound of seagulls and seeing them swoop around gives me a great sense of comfort and peace. Can't rightly explain it unless I was a sea captain (or deck hand) in one of my previous lives. When you're here in March we'll have to go down to the beach and visit our seagulls.

      Ron

      Delete