Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Rose & Crown Restaurant Lewes DE



Rose & Crown Restaurant - Lewes, DE


My neighbor Barbara took me out to lunch today at the newest restaurant in Lewes, Delaware.  It is called the Rose and Crown and is located on the first floor of the Rodney Hotel.



Our booth by the window - Barbara is the blond to the left


I'm always eager to check out new restaurants, especially ones in Lewes where I work part-time as a hotel front desk representative.  I like to personally dine myself at the restaurants so I can give first hand knowledgeable reviews of the restaurants that I recommend to hotel guests.  I also like the social aspect of dining out.  Always good to get out of the house and experience a change of pace from my own very excellent cooking.  


Barbara and I in our booth awaiting our orders - loved the skylight!
Barbara and I didn't get too adventurism with our orders today.  She ordered fish and chips.  I ordered a very well done (which drives Barbara crazy) hamburger with fries.  Barbara ordered deep friend pickles as her app and I ordered a butternut squash soup.  The pickles were excellent.  I thought the soup was on the bland side but maybe that's the way with butternut soup.  "Butternut" always sounds better than it tastes in my experience.


My hamburger burnt to perfection (just the way I like it!)
We had a minor emergency though before we ate.  Our waitress came up to us and informed us that the restaurant was "out of gas."  That meant they couldn't cook out food.  At least right away.  She said an emergency deliver of propane gas was on its way and should only delay our meal by 15 or 20 minutes. Time to put that ice tea aside and order a cocktail.  I ordered something called a "ginger fizz."  I forget the ingredients but it tasted like a gin and tonic on steroids.  First sip and I was transported back to my weekend bar cruising days in the 70's.  My Drink of Choice then was a gin and tonic.  After a couple of sips I was getting that familiar, self confident grin on my face.  I had to remind myself I was in a straight restaurant at midday in one of the straightest small towns in Delaware.  Down Ron.


Barbara's fish and chips (which she said were "excellent") with Remoulade sauce
Our meals arrived.  My hamburger was properly burned black and tasty just the way I like it.  The fries looked good with skins on them but were luke warm.  I like my fries hot but managed to devour more than a few fries on my plate.  I asked for a small container to take the rest of my fries home with me for rejuvenation at my meal tonight.  I may even let Bill have a few.

All in all we had an enjoyable, pleasant, afternoon diversion on this brisk, late fall day with my friend and neighbor Barbara.  The only thing that would have been better is if those fries were crackling hot. 


Note:  the restaurant graciously took $15.00 off our bill because of the "we're out of gas" delay.  


Also, the Rose & Crown is open seven days a week, 11 am to 11 pm.  Good news for me and my hotel guests on Mondays and Tuesdays when most of the other restaurants in Lewes are closed.  A nice place to stop for a casual lunch in Lewes.

Lewes, Delaware


4 comments:

  1. looks yummy; where is this hotel in relation to your hotel where you work?

    also, you're looking mighty fine in these pix. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    The Rose & Crown is just around the corner from the hotel where I work in Lewes. One block.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 PM

    The fish and chips look great, but I am with you the fries need to be piping hot. On the other hand I like a burger medium rare. Hard to find these days so I make my own with organic meat. Safer I think. Glad you had a fun cocktail, now I am going to make myself one.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,

    My dining partner Barbara could understand how I could eat my "shoe leather" hamburger. I love it that way, dry and burnt. It was perfect.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete