Friday, November 16, 2012

I'm Tweeting!



A little dabble here and a little dabble there.  I've heard all the fuss about Tweeting and wondered what it was besides Ashton Kuchter's ego trip to see how many followers he could get. I discounted Twitter because what in the world would Ashton Kuchter have to say that would interest me? Absolutely nothing, that's what.

So I'm bouncing along everyday, thinking I'm pretty cool, connected to all the latest social media like Facebook, Blogger, e-mails and what not.  Hey, reality bytes again!  Turns out I wasn't quite as cool as I thought I was.  I guess in deep down in my very core I know I will always be that kid who was chosen last when my gym class picked out team members.  BTW, wasn't that the WORST thing in high school besides getting nekkid in the showers?  More on that EXPERIENCE in a future blog but as I was saying......



Here I think I'm about the coolest 71 year old "techie" around these parts in Retirement Village, Delaware and I've been missing Twitter.  Turns out I was just fooling myself....again.

You all know me, I'm the guy who used to write all those "Letters to the Editor" of the hometown newspaper.  I even wrote a few to national magazines.  Funny thing, almost all my letters were published too.  And yet here I stagnate in anonymity.


Bill O'Reilly of Fox News "Fair and Balanced" (sure)
When e-mail came along I used to zip a few off to the TV cable TV stations.  This was back when I used to watch Fox News (can YOU BELIEVE IT?)  Bill O'Reilly read half a dozen of my letters on the air.  Neil Cavuto even read two of them.  I have to give them credit because my views were always different from theirs but they still read the letters from "Ron of Downingtown, Pennsylvania."

Then came a time when I had to sell our house in Pennsylvania and move to our new house in Delaware.  I could no longer afford to live in Pennsylvania (taxes) and besides, I always wanted to live "near the water". That drama unfolded in January of 2006. Built the house in Delaware (with a monster mortgage) and TRIED to sell the house in PA with an equity loan to pay the down payment on the Delaware house.  Well, that nightmare lasted until November of 2006 when I finally sold the PA house.

So for the past six years I've been settling in my new "near the water" digs which is actually two miles from "the water" - couldn't afford anything closer and didn't want to anyway - too many nor'easters and hurricanes skirting up our Delaware coast.


Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Got my blog set up, making friends 'round the country.  Losing some who don't agree with some of my opinionated blog entries.  Still doing the e-mail thing but e-mails aren't what they used to be.  Now a days checking my e-mails is like plowing through a field of snail mail, looking for the "real" mail.  Very tiring and wasteful of my remaining time on this planet.

So I'm still hearing a LOT about "Tweet this" and "Tweet that".  Time to check the Tweet again. Guess what?  Just what I've been looking for!  I can now zip out my opinions in real time on "The Internets".  I can also see real time what others are saying and thinking, especially watching a show or event on TV like the recent presidential debates.

Folks, I jumped in with both feet last week and I'm loving it!  I'm Tweeting up a storm.  Of course I am very aware that some will think "who the f--k is this?"  "Who cares?"  Doesn't matter folks.  I have to get IT out of me when I think it.  That's just the way I am.  That's my style. I'm also not as lonely and that is probably one of the main reasons people Tweet.  I HAVE to stay connected.  I HAVE to matter.

It's a big world out there folks.  We may be but a little grain of sand on the beach along with all the other little grains of sand but I think deep within us each on of us would like to know that we matter.  I know I do and I'm not ashamed to admit it.


Earth- the beautiful "blue marble" we live on
Now, just what the hell is going on with John McCain.  Is he having a Bitter Old Man Sore Loser Meltdown or what?  Excuse me while I Tweet out that message.

Have a great day!




6 comments:

  1. you twit! :)

    I prefer to be twitless at this time. but your blog entries are always interesting!

    bill o'reilly is an asshole; his rose-colored glasses version of america is dead - somebody better tell him it died in 1965. down with the patriarchy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Anne Marie, consider the irony. You're "twitless" and I'm a "Twit.....ter." :)

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:37 PM

    You do matter to me! I look forward to every single one of your updates. I belong to Tweeter, but I don't tweet. Just not my style I guess, and though I have retired for over two years now I still have watch my mouth. Working for the worlds largest adult beverage company (Diageo)taught me to be quite.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I've always had a problem watching my mouth. I don't know where it comes from because everyone else in my family have always been oh so careful about what they say.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that you're Tweeting and proud of it! I was on Facebook and hated it so much that I finally abandoned it. It was completely pointless. I've been tempted to try Twitter and - who knows - maybe I'll check it out.

    I watch Fox News (surprise!) and think O'Reilly is grossly over-rated. He's so full of himself - - and he's not half as brilliant as he thinks he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      I didn't think Twitter was for me until I got into it. It's a good way to get your opinion out there without pissing off or upsetting friends and relatives. At first I was heavily into FB but problems arose. I know how I feel when a relative or a friend of mine is constantly pushing their views, it's boring. Of course every now and then I spout off in my blog postings but I try to hold myself back (most of the time anyway). Now I only use FB tg stay in touch with relatives and some friends. I use it mainly for family pictures. I don't give a daily account of what I'm doing or where I'm going. With Twitter I have fun by checking other people's Tweets and getting a few off myself.
      Years ago I used to watch Fox News and Bill O'Reilly. I didn't think he was THAT bad but he is full of himself. Hey, Chris Matthews on MSNBC is too. I guess you have to be if you want to be an "entertainer" which is what all of them are. Of course I like watching MSNBC because their political views are more in line with my own. It is ironic but years ago I was a "severe conservative." I really was. I even wrote my college thesis on "The Emerging Republican Majority." That was in 1968 when the Democrats were in total control. How times have changed. Of course today's Republican party is nothing like the Republican Party of which I was a member for many, many years until they left me. The Democrats are different too than they were years ago.
      You should try Twitter. It's more fun that I thought it would be. I think you would like it.

      Ron

      Delete