Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bum Leg!

video


Two days ago I twisted my leg.  Yesterday at work (at the hotel) I did a lot of running around.  Giving tours of the three suites by the canal, up and down those spiral staircases, running back to the front desk to answer the phone, running upstairs to get the TV working in Room 302 (didn't work, had to move them).  With all that activity, by the time my co-worker Robert called me I was in excruciating pain. Not "kidney stone pain" (which is a pain so great you want to die) but painful enough to bring tears to my eyes.  

Robert asked if I would like him to come in and take over the rest of my shift.  Reluctantly I said "Yes!" I really didn't think I was going to make it to the end of my shift.  Plus I had come in two hours earlier.  I hobbled out of there and managed to drive home, even though I was in a great deal of pain.

Bill was surprised to see me come home from work early.  I told him why I left work.  He was concerned.  It is at times like this that I'm glad I don't live alone.  

After undressing, I went to bed.  My leg being elevated in bed lessened the pain.  I had a fitful sleep.  But the pain was gone.  That didn't last too long though.  Once I started to go about my regular routine and put pressure on my sprained leg, the pain returned big time.  

I spent most of the day in bed.  I didn't get much relief from the pain this time so I made the Big Decision. I would get a cane.  I am surrendering to inevitable fact that I am an OLD MAN.

Bill drove me to Walgreen's in Milton.  I limped in the store and asked to be directed to the canes.  By the way, limping around as I was, I felt very much "different." Is this karma?  I remembered all those times I've been annoyed by folks with canes and walkers slowing ME down.  Now the tables were turned.  Did I detect a Look of Pity from that cashier in Walgreen's?  I think I did.  

Back in the corner of the store, near the pharmacy section I found the canes.  I was surprised at how many different kinds of canes there were.  And there was my cane!  An adjustable tall cane.  I tried out.  Ah ha!  Pleasure.  With my price tagged cane I did my Old Man Walk to the cashier. I bought some candy too for Bill.  Pleasure.  Taking the pressure off of my leg made all the difference.  

So that's where I am now folks.  Navigating myself around Casa Tipton-Kelly with my new cane.  Wow.



12 comments:

  1. Wow! I hope your leg gets better soon. Please take the time to let it heal properly!

    I wonder if you know that the cane should be used on the side where your GOOD leg is, not the side of the injured one? Many people use their canes incorrectly.

    At least, that what my physiotherapist cousin told me when I had a knee injury....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy Bear,

      No, I did not know that the cane should be used on the side where your Good leg is, not the side of the injured one. I don't know how that would work. I have to take pressure off of my bad leg, that's why I am using it on the side of the bad leg. I never used a cane before but learned quickly because immediately I saw how much the cane helped me. I don't see how it could help me using it with my other leg. I'll check with the doctor though, who I make plans to see today or tomorrow (or as early as I can get an appointment).

      Delete
  2. For short distances and inside the house, I am OK walking, but when distance is involved or there is nothing to hold on to, I use one of my canes. One usually stays in the house and another stays in the car.

    Now I am the SAME person, whether or not I am using my cane, but my appearance makes an incredible difference in other people's attitudes. Though walking slowly and poorly, people pretty much ignore me when I don't use the cane. However, when I am using the cane, people seem to bend over backwards being courteous to me such as holding doors and patiently waiting to help me. It is almost an encouragement to appear old and feeble!

    I hope that your pain goes away as quickly as it came, and you can put the cane away in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      You're right about the difference a cane makes in the reaction to people to you out in public. For one day, especially when I went to Panera for some fresh soup, I hobbled in without a cane. One reaction, not positive I must say. I think they thought I was drunk. However, it seemed the reaction I got when I limped my way out of Walgreen's with my cane was more positive. I thought that was my imagination, maybe not now that you tell me of your experiences.
      BTW, I had a GREAT DEAL OF PAIN last night. I had to take a super Excedrin tablet this morning for relief. I don't like being this way. Changes my whole life. I just want to be back to normal again.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! try to stay off your feet, hon!

    happy thanksgiving to casa tipton-kelly! smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Have a great Thanksgiving! Bill and I are will just hang out here at Casa Tipton-Kelly, which is usually what we do during the holidays when I'm not working. This is what we like to do.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. It never fails: I go away for a few days leaving you unsupervised and you do a nonsense like this. Don't make me come to Delaware and slap you silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I really do wish there was a little less drama in my life. I didn't even get into all the drama that my two friends, one of which has dementia and the other who is certifiably nuts. I can't post a blog about that situation which I am involved in out of respect for their privacy but suffice it to say we're close to the stage of taking legal action to having the one declared incompetent and putting the other in a nursing home. Both are rebelling but they're going down. Just to give you an idea, they're sleeping in a urine soaked bed. See my point? I can't post about this. I think the running back and forth contributed to me injuring my leg. I'll talk to you on FaceTime about this.

      Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with Someone, Harper and your friends!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Try to think of it, not as a "cane" (= "old man") but as a "walking stick" (= "dapper dandy-about-town"). And mend soon.

    Also, thanks so much for the book! I started it immediately. I am enjoying it but confess i'm having difficulty abiding by his admonition in the preface not to jump around looking for the juicy bits. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harper's Keeper,

      That's what I was thinking, a dandy "walking stick." I can also use it as a weapon or a hook. Have to look at these thinks positively.

      Glad you liked the book! Don't want to be a spoiler but I think he could have put more of the "juicy" stuff in it. I have more coming. Let me know when you're done. No rush. I remember the first time I saw Tab Hunter in "Damn Yankees". I had a hard time breathing. And I"m not even into blondes!

      I got the feeling from Tab's book that he was holding back. Still, it was interesting. I love all that stuff!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. You should go see a doctor Ron. Happy, restful Thanksgiving to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Yes, I plan to go to the doctor. I tried today but of course their office was closed (wonder why?) I'll call tomorrow to make an appointment and none of this two months hence stuff either. I didn't get much sleep last night because of the intense pain that I couldn't get away from. I took a pain killer (Execedrin) this morning and the pain went but the stiffness is still there. God, one thing after another.

      Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.

      Ron

      Delete