Thursday, September 13, 2012

Echocardiogram Test



This morning I took my first of a series of tests to seek the cause of my irregular heartbeat.

Today's test was an echocardiogram.

Table ready for Ron

I was almost late for my appointment!  I couldn't find the location where I was scheduled to take my test this morning at 9:30 am.  There are so many medical offices here in Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, after a while they all look alike.  After stopping in the wrong office, I finally found the right office.  Of course my heart was racing when I went into the office.  I hate to be late for appointments.  I usually like to arrive at my appointments at least a half an hour before the appointment.  I got there this morning with fifteen minutes to spare.

My echocardiogram monitor


They took me right away and ushered me into a side room with the requisite table (? - what do you call that bed thingy that you lie on when you go into medical offices)?  The medical assistant asked me to remove all my clothing from the top and lie on the meat rack table.  Thank goodness the room was warm.

I took off my shirt and t-shirt and bared my flab (I don't care at this time of my life) and reclined on the table.  I was ready.

The Old Guy ready for his echocardiogram
The lady came in (I forget her name) and placed all the electrodes on my chest.  Thank goodness they were  not cold.  Nothing like cold electrodes on my old, flabby torso to stimulate me in the morning.

After the test started I heard this "chuck, chuck, slap" sound.  I asked her "Is that me?"  She said "That's your valve."  WOW!  That motor (my heart) has been going on for the past seventy years?  WOW!  I have to tell you I was VERY IMPRESSED.

We take so much for granted.  At least I do.  I couldn't stop thinking about how impressive the sound of my heart pumping blood was.  WOW!

I asked her if everything was working all right.  She said "The doctor will tell you." Well, I don't know what that means.  Hopefully this is routine.

After I finished and wiped all the grease off of my chest I said "goodbye" to one and all in the office.

Next up, an appointment next week for a Halter Monitor.  That is a contraption that I'll have to wear for 24 hours to monitor my heartbeat.

Fun times.

12 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Boy, they are spacing you out. When I had those tests (stress test, echocardigram and sonar gram) they did them all on one visit. I never had to wear a heart monitor though.

    The technicians will never tell you much. They just pass the results off to the doctor to analyze and let him or her tell you thumbs up or down.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Yes, I thought I was being spaced out. I would like to get them over with in one visit but whatever. Maybe I can find their office on the first try next time. I got lost this morning. So many medical offices down here for all us Oldies.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Chuck Chuck Slap is a good sign that your aortic valve is working properly. The next test will be annoying ... I slept in the recliner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      I had a feeling "chuck, chuck, slap" was normal. What amazed me was that my heart has been doing that for the past seventy years. I can see why hearts wear out. That's a long time!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. the human body IS an amazing thing; the many organs that keep us alive are located between the neck and the tushie. and yeah, you do feel like a piece o meat exposed there. onto the next test! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      That's what I thought, the human body IS an amazing thing. To think my heart has been beating nonstop all these years!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I hope all the tests come out well. Lord knows there is a lot wrong with the health care system but the technology is kind of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harper;s Keeper,

      These are routine tests which I've never had done before. Probably a wise thing to do at my age just in case there is a hidden problem. I have a blip on my chart which the doctor is concerned about. I'm not that concerned because I feel fine. We'll check it out anyway. This with my prostate problem and water retention in my right leg is a reminder to me that I am no longer a spring chicken.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I've been enjoying your comments on Jon's blog for some time now, and finally decided to come over and check on yours. Glad I did, too. Lots of good stuff here. (I'm just too lazy to comment on all the posts I read here.) It's funny how we take something like our beating heart for granted until we actually hear it doing its job on a monitor. Phenomenal.

    By the way, I spent many happy summers camping in the Rehobeth Beach/Lewes area. I'm too old to want do that anymore, but I do miss the crabbing, clamming, and fishing we did there. Not much opportunity to do any of that here in land-locked Atlanta.

    Anyhow, nice to meetcha. I reckon I'll have to sign on as your newest groupie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      Welcome! New "groupies" are always welcomed. I think this is the first time I've ever had a groupie. I'm flattered.

      You're right about how we taking our beating heart for granted. I'm still amazed that this old heart of mine has been beating uninterrupted all these years. The older I get the more I realize how much I have taken many things for granted.

      Have a great day!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. TEchs NEVER say anything they see/find. So that is 'routine'
    Actually it all sounds 'routine' so I am still not worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      That's the feeling I got also, these series of tests are routine. I am not worried. I am getting them on the off chance that there might be a problem. Something that I should check at my age since I've never had any of these tests before.

      Ron

      Delete