Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Near Death Experience - #1

Me - 1942 - 9 months old


Each episode of the HBO series opens with a death.  Not just the death but the immediate circumstances leading up to the individual's death.  Except for episode where the old woman died in her sleep and the cancer patient dying in his hospital bed, the other deaths were accidents.  Accidents that happened while those individuals were going about their every day life.



That got me to thinking about my own life (this blog is about ME after all).  Right off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen times that I missed death by a whisker during my seventy years on this planet.  Yes, I narrowly avoided meeting the Grim Reaper by a whisker quite a few times in my life.

Then I thought "What a great idea for a blog post, write about those near misses when I almost bought the farm."  Then I thought, "That would be an awfully long blog post" so what I decided instead was to write of each one individually.  Sprinkle them throughout my regular blog postings.  This will accomplish two things, the posting will contribute to my Life Story (my autobiography which I still haven't even started) and my near death experiences could be of interest to some of my regular followers.

So here goes folks.  I'll begin my tale the way "Six Feet Under" does:  with my name, and dates of birth and (almost) death:

Ronald Walter Tipton
1941 - 1942  

This is my story as my Mother told it to me because (of course) I don't remember a thing about it.

From an interview with my Mom September 15, 2007

Place:  Compass, PA, an old Inn that my parents rented a few rooms.  The old inn is now a museum. Below is the way it looks now.




Time:   Spring 1942

"Compass, PA is where you fell off the roof.  You climbed out the second floor window, rolled down the roof covering the front porch and hit the ground.  I was in the kitchen on the first floor and saw you 'going by' and dropping to the ground. I heard you crying.

I didn't have a phone in the house.  I ran across the street to the neighbors.  They had a cow and I used to buy milk from them.  They called the doctor to come and check you out.  He said that you would have to go to the hospital.  The doctor said 'his insides stopped working a bit", but they started them up again at the hospital.

You didn't have to stay overnight in the hospital.  The people at the hospital said you were all right and sent you home."

Me and my Mom - 1942 - already used up one of my nine lives


 Thus, I already used up one of my nine lives and I wasn't even a year old yet!  Stay tuned, the next seventy years provided many more brushes with the Grim Reaper.


4 comments:

  1. cheese louise, you were an adventurous little kid! that first pix mohawk...huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I've ALWAYS been adventurous! In the genes baby.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. A fascinating post - and I can't wait to read about your other brushes with the Grim Reaper. Your blog is one of the VERY few that's always worth reading. And the photos are always great.
    Hey, I like Stormy the watch cat.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. Although we apparently differ in our political views, I also enjoy reading your blog. By the way, I'm not too thrilled with Obama either but I can in no way support or vote for the present day version of the Republicans who are anti-gay, anti-woman and anti-middle class. I bet you have had some brushes with the Grim Reaper yourself that would be interesting to read.

      Delete