Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pulled Over!



Ever been pulled over by a cop?  I was last night.

As I was leaving work (around 11:20 pm), I noticed a car traveling behind me slowly.  Then suddenly I saw the dreaded flashing cherry lights of the police car!  OMG!

I'VE BEEN PULLED OVER!

I turn down my window and wait for the police officer to approach my car.  All kinds of things are going through my mind.  Was I speeding?  The speed limit at that area of New Road is 25 mph.  I usually drive that speed limit or may a few miles above but I never speed through that area even though it is late at night. However, I did just pick up my speed where the speed limit changed form 25 mph to 40 mph.  That's when the cherry lights went on.  Thank God the siren didn't go off too.

I see the office approaching with the flashlight.  I say "Yes sir!"  Then I see the police office is a pretty, petite woman.  Uh....okay.  This is the second time in my life I've been pulled over by a police officer.  The last time was when I was 42 years old and the police officer was a kid of about 18 (who looked 13).  No hunky police officers for Ron.  I should have said "Good evening officer!"  

She smiles and asks to see my driver's license and registration.  Oh HERE WE GO.  Visions of me being pulled out and thrown over the hood of my car and being groped frisked run through my head.  By a woman yet.  A hunky MALE police officer....well, maybe okay.

I fish out my wallet from my side pocket and pull out my driver's license with my prison mug shot (they don't allow you to smile in Delaware for your driver's license).

She looks at it and says "The reason I pulled you over sir was because you were HUGGING the center lane."   Uh....guilty as charged.  I've been told that before.....many times by Bill and some other friends.  GUILTY!  Now a police officer has pulled me over and told me the same thing so maybe I am HUGGING the middle of the road. Take note Ron.

She then says "Did you just get off from work?"  I told her "Yes, I did."  She said "You're probably tired."  I told her I was.  In fact I'm always tired.  I'm 70 years old.  You ought to see me if I don't get my daily afternoon nap.

She also asked me if I worked at the hotel in Lewes.  I told her I did.  I reached for my glove compartment to produce my registration.  She said "That won't be necessary."

With a smile, she sent me on my way into the night darkness that is New Road at 11:42 pm.

Dodged another bullet, so to speak.




14 comments:

  1. scary. the fact that she let you go is amazing. take it easy out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I can be a charmer when I want to. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  2. One time I was pulled over for speeding--the officer said I was doing nine-zero in a fifty-five--I said I needed to be in LA in fifteen minutes.
    I was 200 miles from LA.
    He said you might not make it.
    I said, Depends on how long this takes.
    I was lucky not to have been arrested!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Yes, you were LUCKY! Wow.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Good grief! I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for hugging the center lane! That's a first. It's obvious the cop didn't have anything better to do.
    I've never been pulled over by a female officer, either. But I've admittedly charmed a few gay cops when I was young and lived in Los Angeles (oh, the stories I could tell!).

    The most corrupt cops in Texas are in San Angelo. That city is filled with speed traps and I got caught in one of them. I wasn't speeding but the cop said I was. His word was Gospel.
    By the way, several San Angelo cops were close friends with my neighbors - - who were drug dealers.

    Anyway, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      Still without a ticket! I'm being very careful. This is the first time I've heard of "hugging" the center lane. I think this cop was bored and I was available. Not many people driving around Lewes at the time of night.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I know exactly how you feel about suddenly being stressed when a police car is behind you. The officer seemed actually nice, particularly because you didn't do anything wrong, "just hugging".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      The officer was perfectly fine. She had a point. I will stop "hugging" the center line.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, can you go on ABC.com and vote for Carson Kressley to be on "dancing with the stars", please? We did photo shoots for the last 3 days. He is so wonderful and funny. We love him so much, we want him to come back for season 15, but he's got to have enough votes. Mark is dancing with Bristol Paling by the way (I think of you every time I see Mark) and Kirstie Alley with Max. The men celebrities are really the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      I love Carson and thought he was great on DWTS. Yes, I'll vote for him!

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron, I'm praying that you'll one day get a hunky driver.
    mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      Maybe it's just as well I don't get that hunky cop. I would probably do that Jackie Gleason thing "hmmmm,...uuuhhh...hmmmmm" and slobber all over myself.

      Ron

      By the way, I've been trying to leave comments on your blog but it won't let me.

      Delete
  7. Ron,

    I've told you the story before of the only time a cop ever pulled me over. It was in the late 1968s. Lo and I were driving home from my parents place and our route took us through Valley Forge Park. It was between 1 and 2 in the morning. We were the only car on the road, when suddenly this cap comes up behind me with his flashers and pulls me over. I didn't get any cute lady cop, not sure there were any back at that time. I got a pot-bellied, heavy-set stereotype of a cop. He said I was speeding. he said I was doing over ninety in a 35 mph zone. I may have been over the limit that time of night, but no where near 90, maybe half that. I was driving a 1966 VW Beetle at the time. I'm not sure it would do 90.

    He walked back to his squad car, like you always see them do on "Cops" when they check a person's license for outstanding warrants. The suddenly he takes off, swings out around me and disappears in the night. No ticket or anything. I kept expecting a citation in the mail. Never happened.

    Not too long after that, a couple weeks at the most, there is a news story. A cop was arrested for a murder in Valley Forge of a Jewish Rabbi. The Rabbi was traveling to New York and was heading for the turnpike by going through valley Forge sometime after midnight. It turned out this psycho cop hated Hippies. He saw this Rabbi driving a VW Beetle and the Rabbi had a beard, so he assumed the man was a Hippie and he shot and killed him.

    I guess it was lucky I didn't have my beard at the time.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      No, you've never told me this story before. I think you dodged a MAJOR BULLET (literally and figuratively) speaking! Wow. I think at that time of night some cops are bored and they go "fishing." I think that's what happened to me because what was the deal with "hugging the center line"? Yes, I do drive close to the center line but last night I was way over on the right side. I think I've been followed before. It's happened too often at night when I leave work that a car has followed me.

      Ron

      Ron

      Delete