Sunday, August 19, 2012

New Doctor



Tomorrow I have an appointment with a new doctor.  This is a general practitioner doctor.

Except for my near death experience when I was 17 years old (I got a staph infection from an unnecessary hernia operation), I've never had my own designated doctor.  That was good news because my health has been good all those years from 1959 until 2000.

In the year 2000, when I was without a job and didn't have medical insurance I did have a couple of health issues which required two surgeries.  Fortunately for me I had access to the VA (Veterans Administration Health) facilities.  I received excellent care from the VA.

However, recently I've been running into more medical issues and using the VA for every issue isn't convenient.  In order to use the VA I have to arrange a ride through the American Legion Post 28 to the closest VA facility to me which is in Wilmington, 90 miles away.  I can only have appointments in the morning and only Monday through Thursday in order to take advantage of the transportation to and from the Wilmington VA provided by the American Legion.

In the past few months I have had several skin cancer (pre-cancer thank God) on my face.  I just couldn't wait the two or three months I had to wait to make an appointment at the VA so I made an appointment with a local dermatologist.  I have Medicare and supplemental insurance which I pay a heft amount for every month, so I decided to use it.

I am receiving excellent care from the local dermatologist that I am using and it is much more convenient for me.  I'll think I'll forgo using the VA for my dermatology needs.

Now I am having some other problems like the one a few weeks ago in which my right leg was very sore.  I have no idea what happened to it but I couldn't bend my leg and standing up or getting out of a car I experienced excruciating pain.  I looked for a general practitioner doctor and was about to find one (purely by coincidence) right next to my dermatologist's office in Rehoboth Beach!  Another coincidence is his last name Kelly.  The same name as my Bill.

I have an appointment with him tomorrow.  The pain in my right leg is gone (I have no idea what happened) but now I have a soreness in my jaw.  It seems as if it is always something.  It is time for me to have a regular doctor.  My own personal "regular" doctor.  This is the doctor who is going to take me out.

As I've told my friends and co-workers so often, I am way past my expiration date.  I never expected to live past sixty years old.  Anything over sixty is gravy.  I'm working on bonus time now.

I'm still in very good health but little things are starting to go.  My eye doctor (who I see every year) says I have cataracts developing but probably won't need surgery for several years.  I do have a lot more aches and pains but with the exception of that very sore leg a couple weeks ago, I can live with the creakiness that is normal everyday for me now.

However, it does give me a feeling of comfort to know that I can call and make an appointment fairly quickly in case something develops in the future.

I now have an excellent dentist, eye doctor and dermatologist.  With this new general practitioner doctor that I will see tomorrow I will have all my bases covered except maybe for a shrink.




6 comments:

  1. What a great pic of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cubby! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you don't need a shrink, you have dr. spo! besides, you're normal; everyone else is fucked up. I make exceptions for all my boyfriends because they are normal also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right Anne Marie! Dr. Spo is awesome!

      Delete
  4. Shrinks are shifty types who say mumbo jumbo and hold out their hands for your money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      When I first read this comment, I didn't see your name at the bottom. I had to LOL when I saw it. Then I saw your name and I knew it was tongue in cheek (and not THAT "tongue in cheek.") You are a sweetheart and I certainly don't put you in the "mumbo-jumbo, shifty types.

      Ron

      Delete