Sunday, August 19, 2012

Coming Out Of The Doldrums

Two old cats - me and Stormy - 2009


Perhaps a few of my regular readers have noticed that lately I've been a bit "down."  I've tried not to convey that black cloud in my blog postings but alas, a few caught on to my depressed state.  It is no fun reading a depressing, down blog.

What got me depressed? First of all politics and the repugnant Republicans and that odious liar Willard Mitt Romney.  No, I'm not going to go on a political spiel but only to say when I think of the possibility that the evil and banality that is the Republican Party today (the pig faced Karl Rove and his minions) could actually elect an empty suit like Romney and Paul Ryan, who wants to end Medicare as we know it and privatize Social Security actually makes me ill.  Oh sure, I've heard the lies "our changes won't affect anyone over 55 years of age."  Sure, believe that and I have a bridge I want to sell to you.

There is so many reasons to vote for President Obama and against the Romney/Ryan ticket that I don't know where to begin.  This is beginning to sound like a political spiel isn't it?

One of the main reasons is that they would repeal the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law which prohibits openly gay members from serving in the armed forces.  This from two men who saw fit not to serve in the military.  This from a presidential candidate who justifies his five, strapping, healthy sons not serving in the military because they "work on his campaign and that is the same as serving in the military."  NO IT ISN'T!

There is so much that is so wrong about today's Republican Party.  Another truly horrible thing is happening in my home state of Pennsylvania with the most restrictive voter repression law in the nation.  I used to be a poll worker when I lived in Pennsylvania.  It's a good thing I don't live there now because I wouldn't, couldn't demand photo ID's from everyone, especially that little old lady who lives by herself and doesn't drive a car.  Under today's law my Mother wouldn't be able to vote.  Maybe it's just as well she's dead because knowing she would be denied the right to vote would probably kill her anyway.

So that is part of my funk folks.  One of my commenters recently said he (or she) detected a bit of self pity in my more recent posts.  They attributed it to me feeling bad about being old.  I plead guilty to the self-pity part.  I do have a life long weakness for self-pity which I try to suppress, sometimes without much success. When I see it creeping in I go into my shell until it goes away.  But one thing I do not feel bad about is my age,  no way, no how.  It is what it is and I don't feel bad at all for being the Old Guy that I am.  In fact I feel rather proud that I've made it this far.  My only concern is that when I do die it's not too ugly, prolonged or painful.  But I am growing old gracefully and for that I profoundly thankful.

I've also had some other things on my mind.  Health issues.  My right leg was so sore a couple of weeks ago. I was positive I had cancer of the leg and would have to have it amputated.  Really, that is how dramatic I get.  My leg is back to normal now.  I still have my appointment with my doctor tomorrow to check it out but I have no idea what happened to my leg or why it is better now.  But I am keeping my appointment with my doctor because I need a new personal doctor to "take me out."  Now that I have more things happening to me, I should plan on having a doctor that is nearby and more convenient for me than the VA which is almost a hundred miles away.  That distance doesn't work when I'm having a kidney stone attack which will happen again, I am positive. Plus, I'm having a spate of pre-cancerous skin issues on my face recently.  My dermatologist says "there's a change and we want to be safe."  What that means is that they're going to shave off more of my face.  When I was young I hated my prominent nose.  However, at this time of my life I want to keep as much of it intact as possible.

Something else that was preying on my mind was the annual family reunion that I organize and have in October.  I've done this for the past two years.  It is a LOT OF WORK but well worth it for keeping in touch with family members.  Plus, I have a chance to have photos taken which I can share with my family.

This year I wasn't getting the response that was necessary to justify paying to have the reunion catered (need at least fifty).  Last year one whole branch of the family didn't attend which hurt me a lot (I think I offended someone in the family unintentionally).  I was afraid I would hold a reunion this year and hardly anyone would come.  But I also felt bad for those who wanted to come.  I felt obligated.  I was torn.  I finally bit the bullet this morning and sent out a missive through my Facebook account "postponing" the reunion this year.  I hope I get a favorable reaction to that news.

Two young cats - me and Morris, the rescue kitten - 1980
So there you go folks, a little venting on my part.  Hopefully I'll crawl out of this latest funk and get back to my old irascible ways.


18 comments:

  1. I love your bitchiness! don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne Marie, I can bitch, believe me! I'm glad someone can see through my complaining. This is life dear, this is my life.

      Delete
  2. I know 4 older people who are always smiling, happy... everything is always fine and always will be...THEY are faking it. THEY are in denial. They can hide the truth for only so long. I like you just the way you are Ron. You tell it as it is. And so what if today you feel like bitching or you are down. It is who you are. It is your blog and you write what you want, ok? Do you know why some people are always optimistic...? It is because they are scared. Scared of life and facing the truth. Easier to be in denial that trying to do something to change the way things are.
    I don't like people who complain all the time either. There has to be a balance.
    The thing is with politics, if you watch Fox news and believe everything they say, then yes you will vote republican, because they are brilliant at scaring people. If you don't have an education,do not read different newspapers, have never travelled, you will believe everything they feed you. If I didn't know better, I'd be scared too! Carl Rove is brilliant... Their propaganda works and all those poor folks, will vote against their best interest, if not this election, the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Thank you for your very insightful comment. I always learn something from you. You are so right about Karl Rove. He is brilliant because he has figured out that if you tell the Big LIe often enough, a certain number of people will believe it because that is what they want to hear. He is also brilliant in figuring out the best offense is to go against his opponents perceived strength, thus it was no surprise that there is an ad out there now Swift Boating President Obama on the killing of Osama bin Laden. Hopefully, enough of the American voting public will see through this ruse. However, I am constantly amazed at how something like Fox News can convince a certain segment of our population to consistently vote against their own interest.
      Like you, I don't like people who complain all the time either. And those people who are happy all the time, I don't believe them either. No one is happy ALL THE TIME. We are all a combination of both. Having said that, I do believe that I am happy MOST of the time. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  3. When I'm down, Ron (which, must admit, isn't THAT often) I find that absolutely nothing gives me solace like my cats can. But with your political situation I should imagine you need a great deal more pussy(!) to buoy you up.
    Btw: Our national election campaigns last only 3 weeks. Yours seems to go on for eternity. In fact they never seem to stop at all! Would be sufficient reason to get me extra-depressed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,

      Oh how I would love to have a cat or cats. I wish Bill liked cats. Being around cats has always given me solace. If I'm ever alone in this world you can bet I'll have a few cats.

      You are right, our national elections go on way too long. I am so tired of all this bombardment, especially the negative ads. My birthday is shortly after the national elections. I am so looking forward to my birthday!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. I know how very fond of cats you are, Ron - and the reason why you can't (= not allowed) to have one. Any cat-lover has passed the first and a very important step in being my friend. I'm so over-run with the furry 'guests' from the neighbourhood, because I leave my kitchen window for my two (or is it now three?) to come and go as they please, that it's virtual 'open house' here. It's definitely a nuisance - and a hideous expense - but it's also one I'm happy to 'suffer' for the pleasures it brings me in return. I reckon you would too if you had the chance.

      Delete
    3. Ray,

      You KNOW I would be very happy to take on a family of feline friends. Absolutely! I'm just afraid I'll end up being one of those old folks who have too many cats. I have to be careful. But I do love cats. They provide a special kind of peace.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. indeed a downer
    No fun in this
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      My downer was only brief. I think a lot of it had to do with my family reunion which my heart really wasn't in it this year. However, I was concerned about disappointing some members of my family who were planning on coming to the reunion. I bit the bullet and decided not to do it this year and I immediately felt better. I'm back to my happy self now!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Everyone needs a good bitch session. I run through about five per week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Bill often gets on my case about my bitching. I tell him I have to bitch or else I will blow up. I can't keep this stuff bottled up or I'll go crazy. Your free and open bitching is one reason I love your blog posts.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Jeff in Chicago5:51 PM

    It's ironic that for many of your readers (well, at least for me) reading your blog eliminates any bad mood. Something will come along to brighten your mood - the more you give, the more yu get - and your blog is a daily pleasure. Be patient...and don't change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      Thank you very much for your uplifting comment! My natural disposition is one of happiness. However, occasionally I slip a bit when there is a confluence of negative events. When I feel myself slipping beneath the dark waters of despair, I do something to pull myself back up.
      You made my day when you said that my blog was your daily pleasure. That's the kind of reinforcement that I need!

      Ron

      Delete
  7. we all have our "black dog" times!
    chin up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Oh yes, the Black Dog occasionally stops by my door. He (she's) gone now. ;)

      Ron

      Delete
  8. You always have such nice photos to share. I seem to have very few, so I keep recycling the same photos over & over. Glad to hear that your leg is okay. I seem to have more health scares now that I'm getting older. The scariest thing, however, is looking in the mirror!
    As for relatives - I really like the idea of a family reunion, even though the subject of relatives can always be a touchy one. Many of my relatives are in New Jersey but I have others scattered around the country. My relatives all seem to like me but I'm sure we'd have our differences if I lived near them.
    I have several relatives who don't speak to each other - so it's a difficult balancing act. I try to treat them all the same and consider their differing points of view (not an easy task!).
    Two of my relatives haven't spoken to each other since the early 1960's - - can you believe it??? It was all about some misunderstanding with a phone call!

    Well, as usual, my comment is tediously long and rambling.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      All families have their differences. I also have relatives who don't speak to each other because of some perceived slight of sign of disrespect. I just try to ignore those situations. Like you I try to treat everyone the same and not take sides. By the way, your comments are never "tediously long and rambling..." You're not being fair to yourself. I find you comments and blog postings always interesting, so much more so than many other blogs that I read. Your comments are always welcome Jon, no matter how long "tediously long and rambling...." :)

      Ron

      Delete