Saturday, August 04, 2012

Awards

Phil Cordell and me, Epcot Center, Disneyworld, April 2000

Yesterday, while reading the Cape Gazette I came across a notice that the Hampton Inn of Rehoboth Beach received an award for excellence.  The award was presented by Phil Cordell, global head, Focused Service and Hampton Brand Management, Hilton Worldwide.  That brought back memories.  I was also presented an award by Phil Cordell.



The year was 2000 and the place was the Epcot Center in Disneyworld, Orlando, Florida.  I was presented with the President's Award for Outstanding Guest Service.  This award was given to me when I worked at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, Pennsylvania.

My Excellence Award from the Hampton Inn -1999
This award was special to me because at 59 years old, it was the first award I was ever given in my life.  All during high school I wanted and expected to receive an award for .....something....anything.  So many of my classmates had received awards.  At one time I was sure I would receive an award for "Most Improved Shop Student" but alas, it was not to be.  I remember who disappointed I was at the weekly assembly when the award was announced and the name announced wasn't my name.  Like most kids, I wanted recognition for all my hard work and achievement.  Maybe that's why to today I resent people like Michael Phelps who receives numerous awards for nothing more than the way he was born with a fish body.  I respect people who get awards as a result of hard work.

The Hampton Inn staff - Lionville, PA - 2000 (I'm the tall one on the right)

I realize that some may have considered my previous posting about Michael Phelps unfair.  Not me.  I offer no apologies.  I knew guys like Michael Phelps in my high school days where everything seem to fall in their lap just because of they body they happened to be born with.  They don't deserve awards.  Someone like Gabby Douglass deserves awards.

Yes, I got to go to Disneyworld!  Here I am with Mickey and my Aunt Mabel (my guest) - 20000

Anyway, I'm getting a bit off subject.  Here are a few photos of my glory days at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, Pennsylvania.  I worked there from 1998 to 2001, almost four years.  The previous thirty seven years I worked at banks.  Why did I end up at a hotel?  My first job out of the Army in 1963 was as the Pittsburgh Hilton Hotel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  I only had that job for about three months before I quit when I realized that I would be working most weekends and holidays.  Not an attractive scenario for a young gay guy out in the world.  So I quit and got an office job where I would have weekends and holidays off.  After I retired from banking (and three pensions), I returned to hotel work.  And of course I now work at a small hotel in Lewes, Delaware part-time.  Ironically when I moved to Delaware I applied for a job at the Hampton Inn in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  With my President's Award in hand I walked up to the front desk and asked for an application.  They never gave me one.  I went back twice more and made numerous phone calls to the manager but I could never get my foot in the door.

Me behind the front desk at the Lionville, PA Hampton Inn

As it turned out, them not hiring me was their loss but things turned out better for me anyway because if I did get a job at the Rehoboth Hampton Inn I would have had to travel the logjam that is Route 1 to go to work.  As it is with my job at the hotel where I work in Lewes, I can take a back road and get to work without all that traffic hassle.  And another big plus is that I work with wonderful people, from the owner on down and I work at a small hotel.  The Hampton Inn in Pennsylvania had 96 rooms and most evenings I was on alone.  Where I work now has 22 rooms and 3 suites.  At this time of my life I can handle the smaller number much better than I can a large hotel.  I can give better, more personalized service.  Of course I won't be seeing Phil Cordell again at the Epcot Center in Disneyworld but that's all right.  I'm happy where I am now.

Me (on the right) with Angelo, a fellow front desk clerk after I was notified I received the award

2 comments:

  1. I adore the last pix!

    http://frommybraintomymouth.blogspot.com

    yep, I went and did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy. I just found out "I'm gong to Disneyworld!" I liked Angelo too.;)

      Ron

      Delete