Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Waiting For Godot



It never fails, when I'm expecting a delivery it never comes during the day.  I am expecting a FedEx delivery from Apple of a new super duper external hard drive backup combination router that requires a signature.  Yesterday FedEx called me and said the delivery would be today.  Normally, when I am expecting a delivery I don't hang around.  I do my thing.  I have found from years of experience that if I hang around the house waiting for a delivery it NEVER comes during the day, it ALWAYS comes at the END of the day.  Apparently today is no exception.

I have lived in the country in Pennsylvania.  All deliveries were always at the END OF THE DAY.  I have lived in center city Philadelphia.  All my deliveries, including furniture deliveries were always at the END OF THE DAY.  My question is, who gets the deliveries DURING the day?

I thought for once, just for once I would get his delivery early in the day or at least during the day.  Today I had planned to go to the East Coast Garden Center to check out their river birch trees.  Normally I would go in the morning.  But I knew sure as Republicans lie, that if I went early in the morning the FedEx delivery would be this morning.

Why do I have to hang around?  They need my signature.  If I'm not here to sign then I have to go to the nearest FedEx pickup location and God knows where that is down here in Tourist Season Traffic Jam Hell that is Rehoboth Beach at this time of year.  Probably somewhere down Route 1 in that mess of tourist trap restaurants and outlet stores.

So here I wait.  Just like that old queen Ian McKellan in "Waiting For Godot."  Waiting and waiting for my FedEx delivery.  How much do you want to bet they don't even come today?

7 comments:

  1. Ron - you made me laugh out loud at, But I knew sure as Republicans lie... Glad to see you and Bill had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      Thanks for your good wishes for our safe return home. We are getting a little old for these long trips. There were times I was worried. We're going again though. Isn't it amazing at how the Low Information Voters buy into all the Republican lies. And the Republicans (the current version that is) have no shame. They keep lying because those lies are what the LIV want to hear.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. anne marie in philly7:14 PM

    at my office, ups/fedex/tnt/dhl all deliver in the afternoon, usually after 1:30p. I can set my watch by them.

    at my home, I don't know; I'm at work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      The delivery man finally came at 5:30 pm. I probably should have known they don't start their deliveries until after noon. The next time I'll go out in the morning. Mornings are when we like to do our chores. I still got a lot done this morning though so it wasn't wasted time.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Fedex will contract out routes.When you get your delivery will depend on where you are situated on the route, the volume that day and what priority deliveries are handles. You may be on a dedicated "Home delivery" route or you may be on a "Ground delivery" route that includes business deliveries. When I worked at Chico's I had to persuade the driver to deliver to us early every time a new driver took over. Our "route" actually began across the street at another mall. The driver would hit that mall between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. He or she would make their drop there and then go down Rt. 52, delivering packages to homes on the side roads along the East side before reaching a turn around point and making drops along the West side. By the time the truck reached our store it would be mid-afternoon. I always had to persuade new drivers to cross the road from that mall and deliver to us before they rolled down Route 52 so we got our stuff between 9:00 and 10:00.

    Because we were a store, he or she was perfectly willing to do that because it got a lot of packages off the truck. If I had just been a home owner waiting for a package they probably wouldn't have out of the way to cross the road and thus I would have gotten my package at the end of the day while me neighbor across the road from me got his early in the morning. You must always be somewhere on the back end of the routes.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    I finally got my delivery which is a combination external hard drive backup and router from Apple at 5:30 pm. Yes, I agree with you that I must always be at the end of the route. Interesting that. What is also gong to be interesting is installing this new hard drive backup today. I hate this stuff.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the opposite problem.
    FedEX delivers during the day, leaves the packages by the side--garage door, not on the porch by the front door--and rarely have a signature to show for it.

    ReplyDelete