Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ron and Bill's Excellent Adventure - We're Home!

Me at Tallulah Gorge, Georgia
That sure is one big crack.


We made it!  We got home safe and sound yesterday afternoon.  What a wonderful trip!

Thursday night we stayed at a Hampton Inn in South Hill, Virginia.  This was without a doubt the dirtiest Hampton Inn I've ever stayed at in my travels.  From the time I walked into the lobby and saw the dirty rug and encrusted dirt around the baseboard, I knew this wasn't going to be your typical, clean Hampton Inn.  It wasn't.  However, we were too tired to travel further so I decided to stay anyway.

When I got to my room my worst fears were confirmed.  The bathroom had a low counter (for midgets or short women?) and the rug was filthy.  I didn't expect much more from the TV and again, I wasn't disappointed.  It took three tries to even get the TV to stay on and once it did forget any HD TV.  This was the old fashion blurry TV images.  Oh well.

One of the reasons I wanted to stop at this Hampton Inn was because I was a Cracker Barrel nearby and I wanted to eat there.  No more taking chances with the local cuisine.

One good thing about this Hampton Inn, the breakfast was actually very good.  However, they were undergoing a renovation/upgrading so maybe that explains the shoddy, sticky decor when I checked in.

After breakfast we got out of there, headed towards Norfolk, Virginia.  Norfolk would be the last difficult leg of our journey.  We I always have trouble getting through Norfolk.  Too many signs and they are confusing.  This time instead of taking I-264 we opted for the old interstate US-58 (I think).  That didn't turn out any better.  Bumper to bumper traffic plus we were delayed for some time when one of the drawbridges had to open to let several sailboats (high masts) through whatever river runs through Norfolk.

When we finally got over the bridge, we inched our way up US-58 to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, not one of my favorite places.  After seeing Robin Williams character turned into road kill in a Holland Tunnel crash (from the move "What Dreams May Come"), I am as leary of tunnels under bodies of water as Janet Leigh was leary of taking a shower after performing in Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho".  When taking the Bay Bridge tunnel not only to you go under the bay once, but you go under TWICE!  Mother of God.  But we made it.  I took a video with my iPhone but I was so shook up I took the video upside down so I had to delete.  Someone else will have to post their video of going under the Chesapeake Bay.

Once we to the other side of the Chesapeake Bay our trip was easy sailing.  We go up Rt. 113 then cut over to Rt. 13 until we get to Millsboro then we go through Millsboro (after a pit stop at BJ's to stock up) and turn onto Rt. 30 and we were on our way home!  I no longer had to give Bill directions from the shotgun seat.

Along the way up Rt. 113 in Virginia I spotted a few cemeteries along side the road so Bill stopped and let me do my thing.  I'll have to do another whole blog posting about those cemeteries.  Some of those graves had collapsed and I was afraid I would fall in.  Wouldn't that be something?  One grave I could actually walk in like steps going into the ground.  I took pictures.  Those pictures look like they could be on the cover of the old comic book "The Crypt Keeper."  Thank goodness yesterday was sunny, no vampires out and about to sink their fangs into my scrawny neck.  But I digress.

We're home and we're safe!  This was a hairy trip.  Bill isn't as confident driving and I never have been confident driving in unfamiliar territory and heavy traffic.  Neither one of us likes to drive on the Interstate highways with all those tractor trailer trucks boxing you in.  Dangerous stuff man.  Not fun.

I'm not a religious person but I do thank God (or whoever) that got us home safe and sound.  Maybe that Person was my guardian angle, Wesley (yes, that's His name).  Thank you Wesley.

Bill is out mowing the grass now on this beautiful, sunny, 72 degree low humidity Saturday.  I'm going to have a Ron prepared lunch, my favorite.  Restaurants are nice and all that but I much prefer what I make for myself.  That is until Panera finally opens its doors down here in Rehoboth Beach Land.

We accomplished a lot on this trip and we both have many new memories but this is probably the last trip we will make like this again.  I would like to go again and look for those cemeteries up in those Smoky Mountains that I missed.  I haven't ruled out another trip but for now we just want to relax and get back into the old routine.  Both of us are so tired.  We need to de stress.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      We did have a good time but we were in the car too much. Next year, we decided to go straight to a nice hotel in the Smoky Mountains and stay there for a week and soak up the mountains. Both Bill and I love the mountains but we can't live there because we're gay. We ran into a little bit of homophobia when we visited a cousin. He didn't know we were gay and he was ranting about Obama being "queer" and all "those gays taking over the country", uh huh. I think an annual visit will do.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I always find the best part of a trip is coming home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      You are so right, that is the best part of the trip! Sometimes I wonder if that is why I take trips. I know Bill appreciates his home here in Delaware more now that he is home. More than he did before. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  3. anne marie in philly8:20 PM

    YAYZ for being home! you two had a most excellent adventure. LOVE the new banner pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne Marie. We had a great trip but it is good to be home again. I love the new banner pix too. Bill took it.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. There are only 7 basic stories. One of them is "Voyage and Return". I am glad yours was a pleasant one, and you two are home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Spo. I am not religious but I do thank God (or whoever) for getting us home safe and sound. This was a very productive trip. We have already made plans to go back in the fall and stay a week in the Smokies. I think we have a new tradition in our life, visit the Smokies twice a year. Bill loves the mountains (as do I) and this is the best way we can have the best of both worlds. He also appreciates our home on the coast now more.

      Delete
  5. It is always good to get back to our "nest". I love to travel and miss it a lot since I have been so busy at work.
    You and Bill are good traveling companions which makes a big difference too.
    I was laughing at your cousin's remark about Obama. Why are people so scared? What are they afraid of? I know there is a lot of
    ignorance but I know people who are educated that are so scared. Is it because they are so unsecured about themselves, their
    religion? Maybe they are just afraid of life itself. It just is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadedge,

      It is a shame about my cousin's ignorance because he and his wife are good people. What is really sad is that these people vote against their own self interest. My cousin is very poor. He receives Social Security and now he receives SSI disability for ears damaged during World War II plus his wife also receives a payment for taking care of him. What they don't realize is if the Republicans gain total control of the government most if not all of these government programs for the poor will be cut back or eliminated altogether then where would they be? This is the genius of the current brand of the Republicans that they play on the Low Information Voter like my cousin and his family and insinuate that they will keep them "safe" from the fags and queers. Sad, sad.

      Ron

      Delete