Monday, May 14, 2012

Ron and Bill's Excellent Adventure Day Three

The church on the mountain top with the most fabulous view I've ever seen in my life


A very productive day today folks!  Of course it was raining AGAIN when we started out this morning.  I decided to head over to the "homeland" over the Tennessee state border to North Carolina mountains, where my father was born and brought up until his family left for Pennsylvania when he was ten years old.

I wanted to find a few more of those family cemeteries in those hillbilly mountains before we left for Bill's hometown of Georgia tomorrow.  We got lucky and had a very productive day!

Unfortunately we again had confusion getting out of Johnson City, TN where we are staying at a Hampton Inn. Both Bill and I are older now and we both have problems handling heavy traffic in a city in which we are unfamiliar with the traffic patterns.  Bill is doing all the driving and I am navigating.  So far so good, with only a few glitches which was this morning getting out of Johnson City.  But once we were on I-26 headed towards the North Carolina mountains we were alright.

This morning I contacted the man (Glenn)who I met eighteen years ago who now lives in my great grandfather Ike Lewis' house on Upper Pigeon Roost Road.  His wife is my second cousin although we've never met.  Her grandmother Pansy Tipton (yes, "Pansy", no smart remarks from the Peanut Gallery) was the sister of my grandfather Fieldon Tipton.  I thought Bill and her husband would hit it off and they did.  Both of them are 83 years old and both veterans.  I was so glad Bill had somebody he could connect with instead of just wandering around cemeteries while I take my pictures.

I asked Glenn to ride shotgun in our rented Dodge Caravan (he was suitably impressed) and show us where the cemeteries were located.  I was so happy he agreed because I would never have found these cemeteries on my own.  All of those small family cemeteries up there in those mountains are up little winding paths on the very of the mountains.  They don't have any cemeteries on the low parts of those mountains, too much water.  There seems to be a stream everywhere  If they had cemeteries near those streams...well you know what would happen.  I don't have to paint that picture.

While talking to Glen he casually mentioned a rental property right above his house that he and his wife take care of while the owner was away.  A rental property?  I was just talking to Bill yesterday that we WOULD LOVE to rent a house for a week or two in the fall.  I know my brother John would rent a house for a weekend, he and his wife Barbara are only two hours away.

Glen told me the owner (an airline pilot) was there today but he was leaving tomorrow.  I asked if I could see him and his cabin.  He said "Yes!"  I met him and I liked him!  Great.  I his house/cabin!   It is small and rustic but right next to a babbling stream. I LOVE IT!  I know my brother would love it.

Bill so loves the mountains and hates the shore where we live now.  I like both the mountains and the shore.  I told Bill I would rent the cabin for a week in the fall.  I've never seen the fall foliage.  I bet it is just beautiful up there in those mountains.  I would love to see it and I will.  When I get home I'll check my work schedule and see what week is open. I'll probably go the week after my Tipton Family Reunion in October.

We got a break today and it didn't rain until I finished taking photos of my last cemetery.  That cemetery is located on top of a mountain with the most fantastic view I've seen in my life.  It was literally breathtaking. Bill said he would like to build a house on that hill and live the rest of his life looking at that view.

When I get home I'll upload a short video I took of that view and post it to a future blog posting and share it all with you.  I wish everyone could see this view in person.  Absolutely breathtaking.

I have to post some of the cemetery pictures I took today, make my personal journal entry today and then to bed.  I was up until 1:30 am last night or this morning posting cemetery photos to my Find a Grave.com account.  I can't do that tonight because we're leaving Johnson City early tomorrow morning.  The rest of our trip South is for Bill now.  He wants to go to Talulah Falls Georgia tomorrow then to his hometown of Toccoa Georgia.  Then we'll swing up to Greenville, South Carolina to visit my brother John and his wife Barbara on Thursday.  John wants to show me all the new construction around his church.  I'm looking forward to seeing that.  I am very proud of my brother and what he has accomplished at his church in Greenville.  He is in the perfect job for him.

So there you go folks.  The adventure continues!

14 comments:

  1. this sounds marvelous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Road trip! Bill and I are fighting over directions as usual. This is probably the last road trip we will take together. We're just too old for the stress of unfamiliar traffic patterns in large cities. We need back country roads.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Very nice little church and a great view!
    I was doing some research and just found a branch of my family tree that ended up replanting itself in Tipton TN. It made me laugh and think of you.lol

    Have a fun rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slugmama,

      That's my relative who Tipton Tennessee is named after. There is also a Tipton County in Tennessee. Are we related?
      Ron

      Delete
    2. No Ron, not related to you as far as I can tell. My relative that planted in Tipton County TN is William Henry Baker, sometime after 1850 but before 1883. He married a gal named Eliza Pinckney Hurt from there in 1883. This relative and my relative shared the same grandfather....my relative is my 2x great grandfather.
      So we are distant cousins but I don't know which degree it would be.

      PS-I'd do the Eastern Shore Rte. 301 Bay Bridge Tunnel over the Washington Beltway if I were you. I detest DC traffic, even on weekends. But then again, I grew up in the Norfolk metro area so I have a handle on Norfolk roads....or use to because it's grown so much since I left it's nut down there too now!lol

      Delete
    3. Slugmama,

      I was just kidding about the "are you related to me." I think Bill and I will try Norfolk and the Bay Bridge Tunnel on the way back. The rest of the drive is a breeze unlike the way we went down. Never again will we go through the D.C. traffic. No thank you.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Love the picture.
    Sounds like you're having a good time, now that you're out of Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      We're in Franklin, North Carolina for the night. Wonderful views of the Smoky Mountains. Tomorrow we go to Tallulah Falls in Georgia. Hopefully no more big city traffic. That has been the only downside of our adventure.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    Any Martins around those cemeteries? Lois' best friend in high school was named Lynn Martin and her family was from Johnson City, TN. or thereabouts. Lynn died from Hodgkin's Disease in 1959 about the same time Lois' mother died of cancer. Double whammy to lose both your mother and best friend the year you graduate high school, isn't it? Anyway, small world.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I found two Martins in the Berea Church Cemetery in Asheville, where my great-great grandmother Martha Bailey Tipton Cooper is buried. Not your wife's friend though. I have found several Merediths! The Meredith Seed is obviously sown far and wide. I'll send you the pictures when I get home.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:12 PM

    HI Ron, Love your pictures! Which way are you driving home? I now have to drive for work from Annapolis into DC, and I absolutely hate DC traffic. When we have gone south (Richmond or Outer Banks) for vacation, my husband prefers to take 50 west to 301 south and then to get on to 95 south to avoid the DC beltway. 301 runs pretty parallel to 95 south. It does have some stop lights, but it seems a lot less stressful than the beltway.
    So reverse would be 95N to 301N to 50 East coming home.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,

      Excellent advice! We may just try this. The two choices we have to travel south are either through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and Norfolk, which we hate or the D.C. traffic. We were planning on coming back by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I'll tell Bill of your advice. We may take it. Thank you again.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Even thou I am a beach person to the bone the mountains around there in late october are the most relaxing peaceful week you will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I too am a shore person. Always wanted to "live near the water" which I do now. I also love the mountain but I'll take the shore first. Bill hates the shore and flat, coastal land. This trip is partly for his enjoyment.

      Ron

      Delete