Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pray For Me

The Apple Time Capsule external hard drive and Wi-Fi combination - new kid in town


All folks, I got my Fed Ex delivery yesterday at 5:30 pm.  What I got was a Time Capsule 802.11n Wi-Fi Hard Drive unit from Apple.  Today I call Apple support to install this thing.  Pray for me.

I am always reluctant to change my computer setup when everything is working.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I'm not sure if something was broke but I do know when I got back from vacation my external hard drive backup wasn't operating.  I don't know if this was because I hadn't used my computer for a week or it was a real problem.  I called Apple Support with my problem.  The guy on the other end of the line (who sounded foreign - first time I got someone from Apple Support with an accent - please don't tell me that since Steve Jobs has departed the scene Apple is outsourcing their Help Line to India) had me check a few things and he determined that my external hard drive wasn't big enough.  He suggested that I purchase (for $299) an Apple Time Capsule.  He said the Apple time Capsule was not only an external hard drive with two terabytes.  He also said it operates as a Wi-Fi and that my Wi-Fi connections would be much better.  I can also use wireless printers with this device, although I think I will pass on that option.

So here I am folks.  Involved in yet another techie operation for which I have little or no confidence.  Usually when I embark on these adventures they turn out to be disastrous.  I think it is a combination of my non-technological talent.  I am a photographer, Find a Grave volunteer, genealogist, cook, gardener and hotel front desk clerk personality after all.

I am going to call Apple Support as soon as they open this morning.  Pray for me.

My Cisco Valet Wi-Fi - soon to be gone

6 comments:

  1. It's all Greek to me.
    Good luck!
    m.
    p.s. What's the latest on your old PA home? Are people living there yet?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      According to our former neighbor, a young couple bought our former house and are "cleaning things" up now. They have a little boy. Bill and I are planning on dropping in unannounced later this spring and introducing ourselves and check out what they have done to our former home. Should be interesting.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. The best of luck on your call to Apple Support. I have a very sinking feeling in my stomach that you are going to talk to India again. From my bad experiences (all India, of course) I've found that there are two problems: (1) Communication and (2) the attempt to sell you something.

    I've been entertaining the thought of buying and IPad from QVC. What changed my mind was when the host said that there would be 24 hour technical support. Too late for me to become a 'techie' and who needs the aggravation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I'm all setup now with my new Apple Time Capsule. The person at Apple Support I was talking to this morning was here in the United States. He was very helpful.
      I've always been satisfied with Apple's support. I think the person I was talking to yesterday just had an accent.

      By the way, if you buy an iPad buy it from Apple direct. I don't know why you would buy it from QVC. Is it used? Also, sign up for their support. It's expensive but well worth it. I've more than got my money's worth out of it.

      Good luck!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. this is all interesting.... i like ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Abraham. I appreciate your comment. Gives me encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete