Sunday, May 06, 2012

New Toy

Me taking the John Deere for a test drive at Loew's

Bill and Ron got a new toy today.  Yep!  We got a John Deere (doesn't just saying that name make your heart flutter guys?) zero turn riding tractor.

We have been thinking a bit about getting a bigger and faster tractor than the John Deere we have now.  Bill mows our lawn and it takes him over two hours.  With one of these zero turn tractors, he can cut that time in half.

Last year Bill bought our neighbor's tractor when he rented his house.  That is also a John Deere tractor but a two blade tractor with the engine up front.  We've always been impressed by the zero turn tractors. Both of my brothers have zero turn tractors.  How I let my two younger brothers "up" me on lawn mower riding tractors, I'll never know.  My guard must have had my guard down.

We went down to Loew's this morning to "just look" at riding tractors.  You know how that goes, "just looking."  So many times I've "just looked" and ended up buying on the spot.  This house, my dog Horace, et al.

Our new toy arrives!


What propelled us into buying the John Deere today was free delivery.  That's $79.00 saved right there!
Then we get a veterans discount of 10%, that was another $399.90.  We'll take it!  And in fact, they said they could deliver it this afternoon, which they did!

Just another of many deliveries up our driveway as we keep the economy of southern Delaware going


Now the problem was how to use it.  Haim, (from Israel, not a Hispanic) the delivery man gave us a quick "how to" but me with my decreasing cognitive skills still didn't grasped the sequence that I have to follow to start and run the tractor.  See the video below, which was not staged.  In fact this video was supposed to show me taking off IMMEDIATELY but you know how that goes.  Oh well, reality...bites.



Now here is something funny.  Bill has no problem starting the tractor but he can't get the hand of steering the tractor with those dual handle bars.  I have no problem with that, much to Bill's surprise (and chagrin because he always has to be the butch one who knows all about THAT stuff and thinks I can only bake cakes).  Hey, let me tell you I can do some Butch Stuff too.  Not whole lot mind you (I don't want to break my fingernails) but I can manage in a pinch.  I'm butch when I have to be.

So I took a spin around and even cut our neighbor's lawn (they're away on vacation).  Bill was so impressed that I fear that he is going to give me the lawn mowing job too.  Not so fast Bill.

14 comments:

  1. Ron - Nice new toy.... But I can hear it now you are going to be doing a lot more mowing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      Oh yeah, I already figured that out. I'm mowing more. I don't mind.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. The boy gets a new toy to ride, but does it cut grasss? News at 11.

    Hey Ron, how about you send me an email. Maybe by replying I can get one back to you.

    maxjournals (at) yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max,

      I'll send you an e-mail. I thought I had already.

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Have not received one and you don't seem to get mine. An AOL issue maybe?

      Delete
    3. Max,

      I haven't sent you an e-mail. I rarely use e-mail these days.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. That delivery truck was awfully massive for just one mower!!! You certainly got your free delivery's worth there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hank,

      Yes, I thought that delivery truck was a bit of overkill. Actually, when they make deliveries they deliver several of them at one time. We were the last delivery of the day.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Fred is going to be so jealous of you when he sees this in your garage. FYI, we are buying a new house and he keeps eyeing up these mowers. But I have furniture to buy. Fred's going to have to wait. And sadly, he'll get no veteran's discount!
    Enjoy the ride!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      We found out about the veterans' discount by accident about a year ago. We always use it, even for small purchases. We've saved a LOT of money already.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. anne marie in philly5:53 PM

    uh, sounds like you both need to read the instruction manual, and practice in a safe space.

    "Hey, let me tell you I can do some Butch Stuff too. Not whole lot mind you (I don't want to break my fingernails) but I can manage in a pinch. I'm butch when I have to be." - LOL; best paragraph I have read all day. that's why I don't use todd's john deere model 110; I WOULD break a nail AND I am not butch. I <3 you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I've used that line ("breaking my fingernails") more than once and always get a laugh. In reality, I break my fingernails all the time. I'm glad I provided a good LOL for you. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  6. Bill and Ron got a new toy today. Yep! We got a John Deere (doesn't just saying that name make your heart flutter guys?) zero turn riding tractor ... johndeererideontoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete