Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"Hi Grandpa!"





"Hi Grandpa!"  That's what I heard a a young woman ask me few minutes ago when I answered my phone.  "Grandpa?" Me?

First of all I'm not married.  I'm gay.  I have no children.  I never have had sex with a woman one in my entire seventy years of life.  I don't have any adopted children.  "Grandpa?"  Me?

Okay, maybe I got a wrong number.  Funny thing though, this is about the fourth time I've received the "Hi grandpa!" phone call in the last several months.  The last three times was from a young man from California.  The second time that young man called me he was pretty insistent that I was his "grandpaw."  When I finally got through to him that I have no children he hung up on me.  Oh yes, a quick "click!"  Just like those phone calls I get from the credit card service bureaus offering me a lower discount rate to transfer my credit balance.  I receive a recorded message and when hit the number on my phone to bring a live person on the phone so I can tell them to take me off of their call list they hang up on my fast than I can blink my eye.  I have received many of those phone calls even though I'm on the Do Not Call Registry.  Lot of good that registry is doing keeping me from receiving those annoying phone calls.

So here we go back to the "Hi grandpaw!" phone calls.  Know what?  This is just another scam.  Yep, yet another scam to cheat me out of what little money I have left in this world after the stock market scam of 2000.  No doubt if I was one of those addled old guys (like some of my former friends) I would probably stay on the line and listen to their Tale of Woe.  No doubt they want money.  Oh sure, it's all about money.

Everyday my mailbox is loaded with junk mail wanting money from me.  From charities to insurance companies to hearing aids.  I'm on the mailing list folks because I'm OLD.  Thank God I haven't lost my mind yet like some of my former friends.  I still have most of my wits about me.

As regular readers of this blog know I have a nature habitat backyard that is eco friendly to birds.  One would think my backyard would be very friendly to the birds I attract like bluebirds, Purple Martins and swallows.  Sure, those birds flock to my backyard but I also have uninvited "guests" like the starlings and sparrows.  The starlings and sparrows bully and attempt to take over the bird boxes I put out for the natives species of birds.  So far the starlings have killed one Purple Martin and one swallow.  Of course they also destroyed their nests.  Observing this struggle for life in my backyard I can't help but notice the similarity to my own life.  The bigger and the stronger are always attempting to take and steal from the smaller and weaker of the species.  That is just what these scum of the earth are doing who are calling me and asking for "Grandpaw."  They want what I have and the hell with me.  Well, I'm not that weak....yet.

12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the Hello Grandpa scam, but I can imagine people doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Oh it's a real scam for sure. I heard about it before I got my first call. Even so, I was caught off guard. I really did think the young man had the wrong number until he began insisting that he was my grandson. Something didn't ring right. This morning when the girl hung up immediately when I told her I didn't have children was the confirmation that this is a scam. They call enough "grandpas" they'll get one who is confused enough to send them money. Not this old bird though.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. I've been called a lot of things over the telephone, but "grandpa" isn't one of them.
    I find it depressing when cashiers at the store call me "sir" and ask if I need help carrying the groceries (hell, I'm not THAT old.....)

    Hey, it's even more depressing when I find myself lusting after hot hunks who are young enough to be my son.......(*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      The first time a salesclerk called me "Sir", I turned around to look behind me to see who they were talking too. Now I'm glad when I'm referred to as "sir." I've been called worse.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. When telephone soliticors address me informally (a major faux pas of manners and pet peeve to boot) I tartly instruct them they should be ashamed to address others so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Excellent advice. In the future I will instruct those who do so.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. In Canada, police authorities have warned people about the "Grandpa" scam. It's really happening and some elderly people have been cheated out of a lot of money. Some of these scams actually originate in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy Bear,

      I mentioned the "Grandpa" scam to several people and they thought I was imagining things. Not so after I've received four or five of these "wrong" numbers. How I know it's a scam is because as soon as I question them I hear a "CLICK!". They hang up immediately. No "Oh I'm sorry I must have the wrong number." Oh no, these asshats don't waste THEIR time, they're on to the next sucker.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. (giggle giggle).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you.....

      Delete
  6. omg!!ron this is my fav blogger ever ... i don't want anything happened to u... b safe

    ReplyDelete