Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bill and Ron's Excellent Adventure Day Two

Bill in the rain at one of the cemeteries in the mountains we visited today


Today folks we ventured out into the steady rain and visited family cemeteries over the border up in the Pisgah Mountains where my father was born and grew up until he was ten years old.


After a nice breakfast in the Hampton Inn lobby this morning, I gathered my cameras and we headed over the border to the mountains that form the border between Tennessee and North Carolina.  I was hoping to visit the cemetery where my great grandfather Isaac Lewis and his wife Mary Jane Hughes are buried.  They are on the top of a mountain at the end of Pigeon Roost Road.  Last year when Bill and I visited, we couldn't find that small Lewis family cemetery.  We found it this time but not without a lot of effort.  They are way on the top of the mountain.  I was exhausted by the time I reached the top.  The last time I visited this cemetery was eighteen years ago when I was 56 years old.  Now I'm 70 and I'm telling you I felt it this time.  But I got there and took pictures which I will publish when I get home.

Next we drove around those "wiggle roads" up in the mountains looking for family cemeteries.  We were successful beyond our wildest hopes!  I found five cemeteries, including one cemetery containing many of my direct ancestors in Tipton Hill.  Pictures and videos will follow when I get home and can post them to You Tube.

The only problem today in addition of not being sure what roads to travel, was the constant rain.  At least it wasn't raining hard.  This was actually a good rain because it was light and steady.  The hills and valleys seemed to be washed clean with the birds chirping their approval.

We returned exhausted.  Bill is sleeping now.  We spend one more day here and then we take off to Bill's hometown of Toccoa, Georgia.  Bill wants to revisit where he grew up and of course I will be taking pictures of as many cemetery headstones as my legs can take the constant knee bending to take those photos.

We had dinner at Panera Bread this evening.  Wonderful!  I can't wait for the Panera Bread to open in Rehoboth Beach.

Hopefully the rain will end tomorrow.  This must be like what it is to live in Seattle or London.  I don't like it.  The rain is good but.....let's have a little sunshine.

Time for me to end this missive and start reading my new book "The Real Romney."  A real page turner I'm sure.

8 comments:

  1. it sounds a splendid time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Bill so enjoys the mountains. He hates living at the shore where we live now. We found the perfect rental up near the top of the mountain today. We will be back in the fall to check the fall foliage. We've never been here in the fall. This is the best time of our lives.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mark,

      We're are having a grand time. Bill enjoys the mountains and I'm finding my old family graves. I've already taken almost 1,000 photos. The only problem we have is driving around in Johnson City. Neither one of us handles congested city traffic well at our age. We'll try to stay away from the cities next trip.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron, I've sent you an email. Please check your AOL mail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      I'll check my email.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    The only problem today in addition of not being sure what roads to travel, was the constant rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morocco,

      Oh yes, the rain. Three days in a row. I didn't let that deter me though, I was out every day in a cemetery with my pancho/raincoat braving the elements.

      Ron

      Delete