Friday, April 27, 2012

Serenity at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware


On Wednesday morning I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep.  Normally my wake-up time is between 6:30 a.m. and 7 a.m.  For some reason unknown to me I was wide awake at 3:30 a.m.

Rather than try and go back to sleep I decided to take advantage of this opportunity.  I would get up, have my breakfast and take an early morning walking on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach.  I haven't taken an early morning walk "on the boards" in Rehoboth this year.

Rehoboth Beach is about ten miles from where I live right off of Route 1 which is also known as "Coastal Highway."  I have found out that if I get on Route 1 early enough I miss the early morning rush.  I leave in the dark and arrive at the boardwalk just as the sun rises.

Last year when I got my new 2010 Subaru Forester, I used to go down to the Rehoboth boardwalk almost every day.  I did that for about three months until I noticed that I was really racking up the miles on my new car.  This car has to last me so I decided to cut back on my trips to Rehoboth.  Plus, I didn't like the heavy traffic when I left Rehoboth after my walk on my return home.  By the time (7 a.m. and later) the traffic has picked up,  I'm back "driving with the crazies on Route 1."  No, it's much safer taking my daily walk in Oyster Rock, the development behind where I live.  Maybe not as interesting and certainly not the ambiance of the rising sun, the squeal of sea gulls, and the splashing of the waves of the Atlantic Ocean rolling onto the Rehoboth Beach, but I still get my exercise in.  Still, I miss walking on the boardwalk in Rehoboth.  I think this year I'll go down once or twice a week.  I always enjoy mingling with the early morning board folks and being one with the sights, sound and smell of the edge of the eastern continent which is Rehoboth Beach.

At the beginning of this post I feature a short video that I took of what I experienced last Wednesday.  Watching and listening to this video of the sun rising over the horizon of the Atlantic Ocean at Rehoboth Beach this past Wednesday perhaps you can share my sense of serenity that I often enjoy here in southern Delaware.

4 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly1:52 AM

    ah, the pre-tourist season...best time to be at the beach. you could not PAY me enough money to go to the beach in summer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      The best time at the beach is pre-tourist and post tourist. Once, last year over the fourth of July weekend I went to Rehoboth Beach to meet new friends. I was stuck in traffic on Route ! for over an hour. No more. I leave the weekends to the tourists. We love their money which keeps our economy going. The reason we can all live down here.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. In my youth I loved sunsets; now I prefer sunrises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I like both but like you, I favor the sunrises now.

      Ron

      Delete