Sunday, April 29, 2012

Raison d'être





Raison d'être  is a French phrase meaning "reason for existence."


Do you know the reason for your existence?  


Most folks, straight folks that is, state that their reason for existence is to have children, grandchildren, et al.  Fine and laudable goals for sure.


So what do we gay folk have a reason for existence?  Except for those few of us who chose to fake it and have children of our own by the normal biological methods (lots of fantasizing necessary need to impregnate a woman guys), or adopting children.


Why are we gays here?  



  • Surely("and don't call me Shirley") it is not to have the biggest and gaudiest drag show in town, although God knows some of my gay brethren work for hard at this goal.
  • Surely it is not to see how many sexual partners we can accumulate in our lifetime (although I did have a go at that goal myself during the Orgasmic Seventies myself). 
  • Surely it is not to descend into an alcoholic stupor each day we get older because of a perceived failed life to obtained a partner.  
  • Surely it is not to substitute food as your friend because of loneliness.  

Each of us has something to offer as a reason for our existence on this earth.  


Some of us don't know or don't realize what it is they have to offer.  


Now I know there are some bad people on this earth and bad people who have come into and (hopefully) exited our lives.  Even those people have a reason for existence if for no other reason than we learn a lesson from them.


That lesson could be how to treat other people, because you know the hurt these people inflict by their selfish ways and you don't want to do that to other people. 


I look at some of these vapid celebrities like Jennifer Lopez and think "What good do they do for anybody other than feed their own selfish egos?"  To me they make me appreciate that my life isn't as selfish, empty and useless as their life.


I look at the current version of the Republican Party and their lies and their selfish goals to turn this country over to the rich and the rest of us be damned.  Good versus evil.  


I look at myself and others like me who counterbalance such evil in this world to protect those who are weaker than us.  And no, I do not apologize for saying this about myself.  Too long in my life I have apologized whether by word or action because someone or some people didn't like me or what I stood for.  No more.  


One of the really wonderful things about getting older is that I can see clearly now.  I can see through all the lies and deception and what is true and right.  


Thus my raison d'être, I am a counter balance to the bullshit.  


What is your raison d'être?

10 comments:

  1. To speak.
    And to listen.
    Perhaps to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      You said it all in eight words. Exactly right.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Very Well Written Ron ! This should be published in the Guest Columnist Section of the Philadelphia Inquirer !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      Thank you! I speak from my heart.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. The same purpose as for all people:

    To be carriers of God's loving presence in this world to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Will. I am not a formal religious bearer (what I call "man made religion) but I do believe that the purpose of life is to carry God's loving presence in this world to each other and to all the critters of the earth.

      Delete
  4. I am spending a life time Journey to find out; for it seems to change and grow with every turn in the road. What a marvelous time it is to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      It is a cliche but life is a journey in seeking the Answer. I think I found it after seventy years. Long search.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I like to think that the happiness and security I have given to my partner over the years is meaning enough for me. I've made a difference in his life and I am content in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott

      Interesting that you should mention the very fact that I left out of my post and I was thinking about putting in - the happiness and security that I have given and continue to give to Bill (my partner) is my meaning in life. I cannot imagine what kind of life he would have had (or I would have had) if we had never met. We think alike, you and I Scott.

      Ron

      Delete