Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One Car Family

Bill turning over the title to his Jeep to Kenny


It's official, we're now a one car family.  Bill took his Jeep to Kenny's Garage yesterday.  He sold it to Kenny.  Bill turned over the title of his Jeep to Kenny.  When I got home I called State Farm and told them that Bill no longer needed car insurance.

Bill's abandoned Jeep at Kenny's



Bill seems to be all right now that he is without wheels.  One thing we have more room in our tight two car garage.  Now he can park his John Deere tractor in the garage and I can get one of those Garden Way carts and put in our 8' X 10' garden shed.  And, we'll save money on car insurance.

We're still not absolutely sure we will remain a one car household but we're going to give it a try.  We always have the option of buying a small car in the future if this doesn't work out.  We checked out used cars but they are just too expensive for the amount of mileage they have them.  We would do better by buying a new car, probably a Honda Civic.  We'll see how it goes.

We now have total role reversal.  When I first met Bill I didn't have a car.  Bill drove me everywhere.  I didn't get my own car until we moved out of center city Philly in 1980 when I was 40 years old.  Bill still continued to do most of the driving in our family, I used my car mainly for shopping at garden centers and supermarkets.  Gradually over the years I expanded my driving area to include major highways.

Now I am the sole driver in this family.  I am comfortable with that.  In fact, I like caring Bill.  After all, he took care of me all those years.  This is only right.  A new chapter in our lives folks.  I wonder who will take care of me when the time comes for me to give up the keys.

12 comments:

  1. "I wonder who will take care of me when the times comes for me to give up the keys" is disturbing. It is a thought that sometimes pushes itself to the front of our thoughts, but is quickly pushed back into the background, as it is something we have no control over. We can only remain optimistic that we will always have the physical ability and mental ability to get through life independently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      So true. This question often comes to my mind and I, of course, push it to the background. I feel as you do that "we can only remain optimistic that we will always have the physical and mental ability to get through life independently." One of the reasons this question came to my mind again was because a friend of mine's mother recently had a stroke. She and her husband (she's 92 and he is 94) have been living independently all their lives, now that time is coming to an end. She is partially paralyzed and cannot swallow and thus has to have a tube inserted into her stomach for sustenance. I fear something like this happening to me. Then I push that thought to the back of my mind, convincing myself that will never happen to me. Yes, this sounds like a future blog posting.

      Delete
  2. Jim does the bulk of the driving when we have to go somewhere together. Someday when we move to Florida we would also like to be a single car family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      Two men living together, unless they're both working, don't really need two cars. Already we feel like we're set free. The money we save and the extra garage space is great too. Now I have space for that Garden Way card I've needed ever since we moved here. I ordered it yesterday. When are you planning on moving to Florida? Where do you live now? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

      Delete
  3. I think it sounds rather sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      Again, you're right on the mark. Our situation is sweet. Bill took care of me for so long without complaint. Now it is my turn and I am glad I have the opportunity. This morning I took him along for my haircut. He said now he can look around and see the scenery. That made me feel good.

      Delete
  4. Ron,


    Well, as you know we went to one car earlier this year. It really is a big cost saving. The insurance is a major cut, but so is the service costs and the registration and license fees. With us both retired and it is really no problem. It's nice not to be moving cars around every morning, too. With Darryl moved out and only Laurel still here we have two cars in the car port and not four, which was a real pain sometimes.

    I keep getting the Superman/Captain Marvel post showing up. I actually got to read it yesterday, but it has disappeared again today. I wrote on the subject of those two super heroes on Drinking of Elder Men today, but I see I have disappeared from your Blog List again.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,

      I'm loving the extra space in our garage. We're discovering that we're doing quite well without the extra vehicle. I took down the Superman/Captain Marvel posting. I didn't feel right about it. I may redo it.

      Delete
  5. Downsizing your herd of vehicles is an extremely wise thing to do. I live alone, but had four vehicles last year. I got rid of two, and lightening the load was wonderful. I still have a car and a truck. I'm considering shooting the truck.......

    (despite never having an accident or a ticket in 20 years, I'm still being screwed by my insurance company).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      We were so used to having two vehicles in the garage, that it was a little scary downsizing to one. Now that we have, it actually feels liberating. The insurance company wasn't too happy when I called and cancelled Bill's policy, which was due in a few months. Each year it has been going up even though he's had no accidents in over forty years! They told us it was because he was "over 80." I haven't had any accidents either and my insurance keeps going up.

      Delete
  6. I hate to drive. Being a one car family sounds great. But Ricky would either have to take me to work or be at home without a car. And sometimes my job takes me off-site. So we are stuck for now. If I never drive again that is okay with me, but I have to make money so I can retire like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff,
    We're doing fine with one car...so far. We'll see how this goes. There are times when having two cars is convenient but now that we're both retired (I work part-time), I think this is doable. We can buy another vehicle if need be but for right now one vehicle is working for us.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete