Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hang Gliding in Delaware

Late yesterday afternoon we had more ariel activity above Casa Tipton-Kelly.  This time the flight was a single seat mechanized hang glider.  Across the way is a small airport in which single and twin engine planes often take off and land.  Occasionally, like yesterday evening some fool (yes, anyone who rides a chair in a mechanized hang glider is a fool) straps himself into one of these mechanized hang gliders and fulfills his fantasy that he is a bird flying high above us mere mortals trapped by gravity on this earthly surface.

Why do I say fool?  Last year Sussex County councilman Vance Phillips broke his back and injured his spinal cord with a bad landing from one of these mechanized hang gliders.  He is still in rehabilitation.  I remember years back when my first boyfriend had a spur of the moment suggestion during one of our Saturday morning rendezvous that we go sky diving.  I said "Are you crazy?!"  Hey, it was dangerous enough meeting him during our weekly rendezvous (he was a married man with three small children) but I wasn't about to go SPLAT! some where over Chester County, Pennsylvania. I'm not afraid of heights like my friend Larry who gets the vapors and hits his panic button if he goes more than three steps up on a step ladder but there was no way I was going to JUMP OUT OF A PLANE!

Bill said he would hang glide in a second.  I guess so, he was in the Air Force.  He loved flying.  Me?  I like to fly but I want to land with a set of rubber wheels, not strapped into some flimsy chair.

Yep, that was a fool we were watching fly over our place yesterday. Dream on Bill.

6 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly10:08 AM

    I am like larry; heights scare me. everybody has a phobia about one thing or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      You are so right. My phobia is driving in the city. Ironically, Larry for all his fear of heights, is an excellent driver and has no fear of driving anywhere. I freeze up.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. no hand gliding, water skiiing or scuba diving for me thank you very much. I like to be centred on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I water skied one time in my life. Almost drown. I've never missed doing it (almost drowning) again. I've never skied either. Haven't missed that sport activity either. I'm a cook and a gardner and a charmer. Like you, I like to be centered on the ground. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Your friend Larry also can climb higher than 3 steps on a stepladder without getting the "vapors". I also do not have a fear of flying, but I don't like having my feet hanging free over nothing, so hang gliding would be out.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Oh yeah? You can climb higher than three steps on a ladder? Tell you what, the next time you're down here I'm taking out the ladder and have you demonstrate. I'll video it for publication on You Tube just so you can prove me wrong. Fair enough?

      Ron

      Delete